Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

River Ice?

SnOwFeSt

Posted

Hi, given the very low maxes and mins, which have been occurring for about 5 days now, I am wondering whether there are any reports of ice forming in rivers. I remember in Berlin a few years ago, the river started to ice over with maxes of about 1 degree, and mins of -10. I also seem to remember in the 80's the Thames showed bits of ice floating in it.

Has anyone has noticed ice forming in their local rivers, and if so could you post pictures?

Edited by pjb120

Posted

Hi, given the very low maxes and mins, which have been occurring for about 5 days now, I am wondering whether there are any reports of ice forming in rivers. I remember in Berlin a few years ago, the river started to ice over with maxes of about 1 degree, and mins of -10. I also seem to remember in the 80's the Thames showed bits of ice floating in it.

Has anyone has noticed ice forming in their local rivers, and if so could you post pictures?

There was some ice forming on a shallow part of the river Yare in Norwich this morning, not much maybe 5m x 10m square but its the first time ive seen that in the last 10 years.

Posted

The best time to see ice on the rivers is during a thaw, in 2006 the reiver dee in aberdeen looked completely frozen over with ice floating down from upper stage and blocking on the meanders in aberdeen. I have quite a few good pics of river ice in aberdeen, infact i cant recall a year when we havent had river ice here in aberdeen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The river mersey looked frozen on Sunday.

Whether this was just snow on the sand giving the impressions of ice, im not sure.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Here are a few pictures I took of the frozen river Trent this morning. This area is just 3 minutes walk from Burton town centre. This is not the main river course way, but I have not seen this area frozen all the way across like this for many years.

Temperature have been consistently very low over the last week.

post-1046-12615901626113_thumb.jpgpost-1046-12615901653413_thumb.jpgpost-1046-12615901674113_thumb.jpgpost-1046-12615901698613_thumb.jpgpost-1046-12615901724513_thumb.jpgpost-1046-12615901758713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polar Continental

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Great pics - many thanks! :D

Are there any other reports of river ice anywhere across the UK? I would imagine Scotland may be seeing some of the rivers starting to freeze up with the prolonged very cold temps they've had up there?

Posted

Here are some images of the River Dee in Aberdeen that i have taken over the past week!! Now this is river ice...

post-4308-12625253234413_thumb.jpg

post-4308-12625253773913_thumb.jpg

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Good pics. They'll be a few more frozen rivers by the end of the week me thinks.