Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted

Thick fog has descended here in West Cambs. Still -1 deg. No sign of any thaw. Hoping if the rain does make it this far it might turn to the white stuff. Not sure how fog affects temperatures in conditions like these - ie, thick snow cover. Does it suppress the temps?

Posted

-0.6c here and high dark cloud all across the sky. Trees are still coasted in frost and it's a bitingly cold out there, really slippery on the pavements however most roads appear to be clear now.

The rain later is going to make things very slushy and hopefully things won't freeze over tonight (it isn't forecast to get clear later I don't think).

Posted

Same here up the road in MK, but there wasn't alot of Christmas cheer in the ASDA Wal Mart first thing this morning nonono.gif miserable people were all very bah humbug !

Oh dear - their loss, not yours!

Posted

Postman just gone down out side,did a little pirouette and crashed to the ground with all the finesse of a brick ;)

(he got up laughing though,asked if he was ok,"yea im fine thats the third time this morning",thats the spirit mr postie

Absolutely! Did the same thing myself night before last. Two steps out the door and wallop. Wife and daughter still laughing about it. Who cares about the sore elbow!

Posted

Now it's horrible having the NW radar - seeing that rain heading inexorably towards us nonono.gif

Posted

Also here's the latest radar/850hpa/SLP image.

The 850hpa was so much lower across england during Mondays event. -5 was over the south Midlands on Mondays event it is now across Northern England.

Expect it to be RAIN only from the wash southwards

Posted

Oh well, we can turn to next week. Colder air again looks like its going to flood in from the north, bringing again colder temperatures and the threat of snow, after a brief milder spell

Guest archiesmummy

3.4 here and dew point of 2.2...has got very murky and the snow is rapidly thawing off roofs etc but still thick on grass and pavements as is actually now more like thick ice.

I think everyone has a comment on the snow and it doesnt happen every year for everyone so when we do get a bit i think we all get obsessed, after all thats why we are on a weather forum discussing cold weather! lets allow everyone to get excited, if we fixate on a particular weather forcast that says snow then lets give those people that. what harm can it do

2 sleeps to go!

Posted

Nothing here yet.......... Temp is over 1c but not really any signs of a melt, cloudy also.

Was freezing fog here last night and we got down to around -6c........ It's really shot up hasn't it!

Oh well, I'm sure it won't be long to wait for the next spell! Mery Christmas everyone!

Posted

Bitterly cold here with temps of -2C at 13.30pm. The weather forecasts on TV are irritating me saying the temps will be 2/3C. Anyway took some photos 10mins ago and as you can see little has thawed. The side roads are sheet ice!

post-1766-12615759913013_thumb.jpgpost-1766-12615760039613_thumb.jpg

post-1766-12615760191713_thumb.jpg

Posted

Of cours even though it is looking like its going to become less cold Ukmoose, its still looking close to average even right at the south coast, and obviously in the north it stays cold!

Yes Kold, I agree it's not likely to be overly mild. It's just not going to be as lovely as it has been. The wonderful Christmas card scene will gently melt away. (Maybe next week...) Does look like holding on in the north though as you say.

Posted

Current temp of -1.5c here, misty and cloudy. Lots of lying snow about which is of course frozen! Not expecting anymore snow before it turns milder. Don't get many events like this around here and I'd be surprised if it happens again. Best start to winter I've seen!

Posted

Just had a few spits and spots of rain here - it's remarkable outside, a real wintry scene with all the trees still coated in frost and snow frozen rock hard underfoot... yet rain is falling from the sky.

I should add that it's still below freezing here, -0.5c.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

Bitterly cold here with temps of -2C at 13.30pm. The weather forecasts on TV are irritating me saying the temps will be 2/3C. Anyway took some photos 10mins ago and as you can see little has thawed. The side roads are sheet ice!

post-1766-12615759913013_thumb.jpgpost-1766-12615760039613_thumb.jpg

post-1766-12615760191713_thumb.jpg

The temperature in north Hampshire has risen from about -3.5C at 12 noon to about +1C now (2pm). I think that where you are it is unlikely to rise as quickly or as much, but it will likely be above freezing by 3pm. Let me know.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Phew what a scorcher. We've now hit 8c !!cool.gif

Posted

-9.5 was the low last night..

Brize,High Wycombe and Benson are saying its 0c and been around that for a while..

When this rain moves up will it turn to snow here in oxford and ofcourse the bucks and mk area.?

Mark

loooking ahead i used metcheck not as reliable as netweather BUT.. If you look at next tuesday to wednesday.. Sleet with temps of 0c-2c and 24 hours of heavy stuff and gale force winds. This adds upto over 40mm.

MARK

And metcheck says its gonna turn to snow here tonite!!

Posted

Im actually hoping it doesn't snow or rain. If I see heavy snow then there is the risk my family won't travel to me for xmas day. If it rains then this could cause a few problems as I doubt it will be able to penetrate the ice and should temps fall below freezing it will be a nightmare.

Posted
Icy conditions cause road fatalities in England

A severe weather warning remains in place for the south of England as ice continues to cause problems on the roads. Two women died and 47 people were injured when a coach crashed on a country road in Cornwall. The vehicle is thought to have skidded on sheet ice in Townshend, near Hayle.

In Dorset, up to 40 vehicles crashed on the A35 because of black ice. Paramedics treated 34 people while two casualties were taken to hospital. The M27 in Hampshire was closed westbound due to the number of incidents while motorists in Devon were warned about treacherous conditions. A runway at Southampton Airport was shut due to the ice and flights from many airports, including Luton, Gatwick and Heathrow, have been disrupted.

Elsewhere, the former boss of Barings Bank, Peter Baring, escaped unhurt after he fell through the ice on his private lake near Wantage, Oxfordshire. The 70-year-old managed to get out of the water in the grounds of Ardington House.

In Bolton, a man has been found dead in a frozen reservoir. Adam Littleford, 43, is thought to have jumped into High Rid reservoir near Lostock to rescue his dog. Coach passenger Ann Ellis said she was ''shaken'' after the crash in Cornwall A grandmother had to deliver her daughter's baby at home because icy roads in Oxfordshire prevented them from travelling to a hospital.

Sarah Hopcroft, 28, gave birth to baby Abby at home in Banbury with the help her mother, Margaret Holland, and a paramedic on the telephone.

A spokeswoman for the Met Office said ice remained a problem but added that temperatures were beginning to rise and would continue to do so over the next few days. "There are still some icy patches out there, especially on untreated roads," she said. "People need to keep up to date with forecasts in their area."

Heavy rain is expected in the south of England and the East Midlands later this afternoon, with snow showers predicted overnight across the Midlands. The Met Office said the lowest temperature currently was -4C (24.8F) in parts of the Midlands. Network Rail said 74% of trains were running on time. A spokesman said the majority of delays were in Kent and Sussex, where ice has caused problems.

news.bbc.co.uk/

Phew what a scorcher. We've now hit 8c !!cool.gif

:whistling:

post-6667-12615775861513_thumb.gif

Posted

Far south now looking quite a bit milder it has to be said, near coast temps now upto 6-8C generally, whilst further north temps are a little lower between 3-4C, then further north again in East Anglia temps are still very cold indeed, quite a few places in the western portion of the region and around the wash that are in the coldspot so to speak, with temps still decently below 0C.

So quite a big constrast in temps in this region, from 8C to -3C!

Posted

Far south now looking quite a bit milder it has to be said, near coast temps now upto 6-8C generally, whilst further north temps are a little lower between 3-4C, then further north again in East Anglia temps are still very cold indeed, quite a few places in the western portion of the region and around the wash that are in the coldspot so to speak, with temps still decently below 0C.

So quite a big constrast in temps in this region, from 8C to -3C!

im not buying the mild conditions here east anglia temp here still 1 c and its still vey cold ps the models are looking good for next week BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif