Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted

Not sure it's going to go quietly.... echoes of 1963.

:) You said it in your first post as well!!!

Welcome to Netweather Dr D! :rolleyes:

Posted

Potentially record breaking blizzards for the northern half of the country next week with 3-4 feet of lying snow and drifts of up to 30ft if those charts for next week come off, crap down here but Scotland, Cumbria, Midlands, Yorkshire, Tyneside will be getting heavier snowfalls than the eastern seaboard of the USA got the other day if there is no downgrades

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Freezing rain here earlier :nonono:

However i could see Hail/Snow higher up in the showers with white trails from the sky

Posted

It is apparent (sadly) that the milder air is not too far away from this area now but it is quite hard to believe looking out of the window.

Thick frost covering everything still with fog reforming in the last couple of hours (milder weather approaching?) but still of the freezing variety.

Looks a picture with snow on the ground too. If only we could bottle this for Christmas Day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It's so beautiful here this morning. Lying snow, hoar frost on the trees, sunshine just picking out the details through the lingering frozen mist - a real Christmas card scene.

Really lifts the spirits. Can't imagine why anyone would want it to warm up myself.

Same here up the road in MK, but there wasn't alot of Christmas cheer in the ASDA Wal Mart first thing this morning nonono.gif miserable people were all very bah humbug !

Posted

It is apparent (sadly) that the milder air is not too far away from this area now but it is quite hard to believe looking out of the window.

Thick frost covering everything still with fog reforming in the last couple of hours (milder weather approaching?) but still of the freezing variety.

Looks a picture with snow on the ground too. If only we could bottle this for Christmas Day!

Postman just gone down out side,did a little pirouette and crashed to the ground with all the finesse of a brick :cold:

(he got up laughing though,asked if he was ok,"yea im fine thats the third time this morning",thats the spirit mr postie

Posted

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the rain band will be doing today as it slowly heads north? Will it reach as far as Cambs, Northants, The Wash and, if it does, will it turn to snow as it did on Monday night?

Edited by icy toes

Posted

Potentially record breaking blizzards for the northern half of the country next week with 3-4 feet of lying snow and drifts of up to 30ft if those charts for next week come off, crap down here but Scotland, Cumbria, Midlands, Yorkshire, Tyneside will be getting heavier snowfalls than the eastern seaboard of the USA got the other day if there is no downgrades

Snow?? Drifts... im from the midlands please explain what these mean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Some are going to be so dissapointed if their not carefull. The charts may look great now but it will all change and probably for the worse. 2 weeks ago we were looking at fab charts. Yes we have had quite a prolonged cold spell but places like West Midlands, SW England have seen no snow at all.

It does look good now but i shant take much interest in next week until next week itself!

It's swings and roundabouts. I remember last winter seeing the SW get hammered by snow and people stranded down there. Likewise, the Midlands (and further North) always get more snow than those in the SE. The February event this year was the first significant snow since about 1991. Fact is, we can't ALL have snow, so it's a bit cry baby if people want/expect it every winter - just doesn't work like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the rain band will be doing as it slowly heads north? Will it reach as far as Cambs, Northants, The Wash and, if it does, will it turn to snow as it did on Monday night?

Im going to assume it will, how long it remains as snow we will see

Here in reading its still below freezing but you can almost feel milder air approaching as the snow has that kind of 'look'.

Anyone west of Basingstoke ? Shows snow over there

I think north of Birmingham would see white stuff (long term) , if it got that far

Probably be saying at 5pm blizzards haven't stopped

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the rain band will be doing as it slowly heads north? Will it reach as far as Cambs, Northants, The Wash and, if it does, will it turn to snow as it did on Monday night?

Given how cold it is, and how the models seem to understimate the snow risk I think the inland areas have got a good chance of some very heavy snow. Stay out of the car!

Posted

Just worth watching the frontal system coming up overnight into Xmas day and we could possibly see the odd wintry patch in there as well over London if they get some of the heavier falls as profiles won't be that far away from at least sleet, so possibly could yet see a technical white xmas for London, even though for the most part it'll be a wet night...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

No they are ground temperatures Tommy! (at 5cm depth)

Not sure what they are but its 5c in Bournemouth and never went close to -9c at any time ! Maybe at 25,000ft ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It's swings and roundabouts. I remember last winter seeing the SW get hammered by snow and people stranded down there. Likewise, the Midlands (and further North) always get more snow than those in the SE. The February event this year was the first significant snow since about 1991. Fact is, we can't ALL have snow, so it's a bit cry baby if people want/expect it every winter - just doesn't work like that.

Wouldn't it be lovely to get a no holds barred forecast of snow for all, with no marginality a concern. I wonder when the last time that happened was? Certainly February was a very hit and miss affair for some.

Had a heavy rain shower here in the City about 20 minutes ago. Cost me a fortune. I ducked into a Rymans to escape it and came out £50 lighter with another bag to carry!

Posted

John I do love your forecast.. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It's all gone horrible here the lovely sunny and frosty morning has been replaced with a very merky foggy afternoon, not sure what to expect weather wise as I've just seen a gritting lorry go up the main part of our road (only the second time since Thursday night's snow) are they expecting something? If it's going to thaw why bother we've managed to get in and out all week, I'm in a little slip road of only half a dozen houses so we get no grit, hence nextdoors grocery delivery that just so nearly ended up at the other end of the road (haha I think Tescos need to send their drivers on an advanced driving course!)

Posted

Not sure what they are but its 5c in Bournemouth and never went close to -9c at any time ! Maybe at 25,000ft ?

Blimey thats a fair old pylon you need to put your sensors on,keep adding little extensions and you will be able to measure stratosphere warming /cooling in real time,dont forget the little red flashing light on top for safety,s sake :)

Many of us think of the Christmases of our youth as being snow-laden festivals of sledging and snowball fights........

Reliable figures on Christmas snow coverage only go back about half a century. The Met Office has records showing the number of its weather stations around the UK reporting snow lying at 9am on Christmas Day since 1957.

In 29 of the 52 years since then, there has been no snow reported at any of the stations.

A further 11 years had less than 5% reporting snow and only once in that period - in 1981 - have more than half of them reported snow.

Many parts of the UK have seen unusually early snow in 2009, but in fact Christmas is quite early for snow in the UK. It is more likely to snow in January..........http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8424432.stm :)

Edited by TN9