Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted

Last report for the night.......

Temp: -4c

DP: -5c

Thick fog has rolled in, getting icy out and frosty......... I fear we may lose contact with the outside world soon, Saint logging out!:D

Snow, Fog and Ice combined....fun!:D

(Temp's taken from local weather station located in St. Albans)

Proper winter weather!!

Posted

Last report here now:- Oxford -9c and seems to be clear with fog and mist at times... and icey and snowy on foot!!

Also on xc weather a icon named ice crystals ova east anglia

And yes i was thinking that if temps are lower than expected wont tomoz ve lower which means when this precip band moves in it will be snow..??

Mark

Posted

[quote name=hot air balloon/weather :D' date='23 December 2009 - 01:11 ' timestamp='1261530713' post='1667741]

Last report here now:- Oxford -9c and seems to be clear with fog and mist at times... and icey and snowy on foot!!

Also on xc weather a icon named ice crystals ova east anglia

And yes i was thinking that if temps are lower than expected wont tomoz ve lower which means when this precip band moves in it will be snow..??

Mark

Posted

just got back from luton airport been in switzerland for the week and had less snow it appears than here, absolutely mad at the airport, snow piled up everywhere.

people delayed 5 days apparently lucky to get our flight back was delayed by 5 hours and little information but credit to easyjet, staff working when if they hadnt would of not flown.

Posted

Rain in Brighton, just started in the last couple of minutes. Seems fairly consistent with the MeteoX radar.

Guest archiesmummy

good morningshok.gif i think! the joys of an 11 month old with a cold.....

is freezing here, well for me...our little weather station showing -3.2...is very frosty too..

bet your all still asleep and tucked up warm.......

Posted

good morningshok.gif i think! the joys of an 11 month old with a cold.....

is freezing here, well for me...our little weather station showing -3.2...is very frosty too..

bet your all still asleep and tucked up warm.......

nope, wide awake here :yahoo: but not for long as i am about to go home to bedin 40 minutes time. :drinks: hope little one feels better for the big day and lets you get some sleep.

oh, by the way, Temp (°C°F) -4°C 25°F

:)

Guest archiesmummy

nope, wide awake here smile.gif but not for long as i am about to go home to bedin 40 minutes time. tongue.gif hope little one feels better for the big day and lets you get some sleep.

oh, by the way, Temp (°C°F) -4°C 25°F

smile.gif

ooooh thats cold! hope you get home ok and enjoy your sleep, winter is easier than summer for nights...sleep well smile.gif

Posted

I woke up and got downstairs at about 6:30 this morning everthing white and frozen, but it looked like it was raining out side only a short sharp shower lasting a very little time, didnt seem to melt the thick frost at all, just wondered if it might have been frozen rain, having never seen it i wouldnt have a clue. Also it fell from a nearly clear sky the cloud was kind of a narrow band of haze, now seems to be going off in the direction of Essex. Temp around -2 but feels alot colder

Edited by Charltonkerry

Posted

I don't know where else to put this, but I was sent this link in an email by a friend of the 62/63 winter and shows some footage of the railways and how they coped then...

(just to let you know, it is a bit arty and has an irritiating soundtrack but just look at the drifts and that people are shovelling all the snow with no gloves!)

The name of the train is " Barbados ". One extreme to the other........? :whistling:

Posted

What a fabulous video, brought back many long lost memories, if you want to get a feel for a proper winter then I recommend watching this. Men where Men in those days, I can still see my dad leaving for work dressed like that

Edited by Charltonkerry

Posted

Glad you liked the video - I can't see that the trains would cope if that happened again!

-7 overnight in Charlwood - not looking forward to slipping into work!

Posted

TV Forecasts - There seems to be some back-tracking on temperatures for the rest of the week in the South East and Midlands!

Yesterday, I saw one forecast of +7c for London on 25th

Today, BBC forecast showing a Maximum of +3c in London on 25th?

This cold spell is not going to give-up easily me thinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

morning, temp here is -1.8c with dewpoint of -2.7. Currently watching the radar as the band of precip slowly moves toward me. Will it be another rerun of monday as it hits the cold air??

Posted

Car thermometer read -6c this morning, thick fog overnight has frozen on all surfaces and trees making it look like we have had a dusting of snow! Very pretty indeed!. There is still quite abit of snow lying around here too, should last till xmas hopefully

Posted

Absolute nightmare on the roads of Sussex with local radio reporting the busiest morning period of accidents ever. The main A27 road shut completely from Polegate to Falmer in both directions (never happened before) A26 shut along great chunks of it's length. I took a tortuous route through Uckfield + Haywards Heath and passed a number of vehicles in ditches. All sorts of train cancellations, too many to mention.

Currently between -2 DgC and - 1 Dgc and raining with black ice everywhere. If you've got to go out - don't! :whistling:

Posted

We still have plenty of lying snow - even in the trees. Is it really going to rain here today??

Posted

We still have plenty of lying snow - even in the trees. Is it really going to rain here today??

Current forecasts suggests the rain will turn to snow across N England/Wales/Midlands. I do think rain is more likely in your region due to the associated warm front. However as many learn't on Monday the forecast doesn't always go to plan!!

Posted

A beautiful clear and frosty morning here in North Lowestoft. Now quite looking forward to it warming up a bit for Christmas day so that it won't be as chilly for our walk along the beach.

Posted

Current forecasts suggests the rain will turn to snow across N England/Wales/Midlands. I do think rain is more likely in your region due to the associated warm front. However as many learn't on Monday the forecast doesn't always go to plan!!

Thanks - that's exactly what I was thinking! I got really stuck in the little bit of "rain or sleet" forecast by the BBC on Monday morning. My family and I are going out this evening and I really don't want a 4 hour journey which should take 15 mins again!