Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Been brilliant here today, snow stopped now and temp starting to fall slightly. Hasn't been above 0.1°C, but just missed out on an ice day, it's quite strange that considering it's been snow cold and snowy during this spell of weather we've only had one ice day, but I suppose you can't have everything!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I do quick like the fact we have a flash warning that there might be some icy roads tomorrow, following a faily good avoidance of manetioning snow for the last cpl of days lol

Seriously - anyone got any news of any more snow - the flash runs til 6pm - what then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Temperature is falling fast now I think with the hail settling and freezing now we could have really cold overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Did this morning streamers last all day on and off and past us ? looks like theres atleast a few inches if not more topped up. its got to be around 10 inches in places now and thats without the drifts.

Posted

interesting movement of clouds at the moment, the clouds that are over me are coming in from the north north west, as are the clouds behind the clearance however, under this layer of clouds are others moving much faster in from due south which at first I thought were chimney smoke but aren't! Maybe someone clever could temm what is happening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

the winds will turn southwest for the south of the region so it will drop rather low here.

Its already 2.4 here and dropping at a rate of 1.4C/hr

Posted

Managed to get away from work early today. I work in Manchester and we know by now the appreciable period of snowfall that occurred around lunchtime for a hour or so. Returned back too the frozen wastelands of Oldham lol - and the sidestreets are really treacherous. Think I've about 6-7 (15cm's) inches now.

Jobs a good 'un :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I can officially say, since I started following the weather around early 20's, this is now the snowiest period I've witnessed. Probably had this kind of setup every other winter during the 80's, but I was just a kid then, and didn't pay attention to snow depths lol

Posted

since I started following the weather around early 20's

I didnt know you were that old :):)

(only joking)

Posted

interesting movement of clouds at the moment, the clouds that are over me are coming in from the north north west, as are the clouds behind the clearance however, under this layer of clouds are others moving much faster in from due south which at first I thought were chimney smoke but aren't! Maybe someone clever could temm what is happening

Sounds like a localised convergence zone, or possible a area of Forced Uplift taking places around the Inflow/Outflow boundary of the cells your Under.

Posted

I didnt know you were that old :):)

(only joking)

lol - sorry, phrased it wrong, should have read 'in my early 20's' :)

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

What is peoples opinions on here about us keeping this cold spell or returning to the mild wet weather,I have been watching the model discussion but it seems no one on there can agree what is going to happen but i think it would be great if we could stay in this cold spell at least till after boxing day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Im not so sure we will be dominated by a SW wind .. maybe the slightest of breezes. Looking at the sat and latest fax the LP core to our north looks to be still the more dominant core atm rather than the one to the south . Saying that the latest faxes dont have the secondry core to the SW until tomorrow but its clearly visible now on satalite. Hopefully that moves swiftly to the east or NE.

@ Les

Tis to difficult to say right now, after looking at the charts this morning the ECM looked the worse in the short term with the GFS being the best solution for continued cold. The good thing was the UKMO looked to be more similar to the GFS with the LP moving east rather than stalling in the reliable time frame which in a way would be the key to lasting cold or mild SWerlies that the ECM wanted.

Ps. Snowing heavy

with HUGE flakes !drinks.gif

12z GFS pretty much the same as 00z .. Nerly , Northerly reload followed by easterly ( sausaged LP to the south of the uk) retrogressing HP in the atlantic with WWA and is soon over the Icleand area. After that its deep FI and sinks the HP.

The ensembles Show that we wain in and out of -5 hpa air until around the 29th and that when the scatter starts with the members but by 1st of jan there slightly more agreement for a dip towards the

-10 850's again.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

with regards to the streamers from the Irish sea that at times have seemed to appear from nowhere....are conditions looking like being right for them to keep forming over the next day or so ????

Edited by chris78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

What is peoples opinions on here about us keeping this cold spell or returning to the mild wet weather,I have been watching the model discussion but it seems no one on there can agree what is going to happen but i think it would be great if we could stay in this cold spell at least till after boxing day.

Turning milder with a thaw on Boxing Day looks the most likely assessment although upland parts of the North West will probably hold onto their snow cover. After Boxing Day it may well turn colder again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Seems to be a heavy band of snow affecting N Ireland and Scotland, any chance that will track down over the night, hence the warning being upgraded on the met office website?

I bloody hope so :lol:

But winds aint Northerly, so i dont think so.

Posted

The winds have turned north/North Westerly!! This is unforecasted and that could mean a surprise snowfall for many!

Edited by 10123

Posted

with regards to the streamers from the Irish sea that at times have seemed to appear from nowhere....are conditions looking like being right for them to keep forming over the next day or so ????

Oh looks like there still going for now new blob on the 16.30 just west of me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The winds have turned north/North Westerly!! This is unforecasted and that could mean a surprise snowfall for many!

Looks like there's a group of showers are merging and pepping up in the Irish Sea. They are on course to hit here with that NNW wind.