Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted

Just had another shower, started as grauple and turned into snow. The radar shows this line of showers going all the way back to the irish sea where it starts as rain and turns to snow as it travels east.

Shadowfax

Edited by shadowfax

Posted

Evening All

Just a quick question are we due more Snow tomorrow night into Xmas eve morning

Please can someone update me.......Thank you

The latest met office fax charts suggest the slightly milder air to the south will push towards us tomorrow night with an increasingly marginal rain/sleet/snow event (those with more knowledge could maybe predict which side of marginal). After briefly moving north of us (putting as in a warm(ish) sector), the fronts push south again and reintroduce colder air by 25th.

All very interesting. Doesn't really tie in with their largely dry and cold, coastal wintery showers forecast. Sort of accords with GFS 12z.

So, even the next 48hours is up in the air, with a local "cold pool" over the UK, very slack pressure gradients and Greenland blocking, all of which the models/ forecasters struggle to cope with.

Posted
Just a quick question are we due more Snow tomorrow night into Xmas eve morning

Not had chance to look at the models today and dont want to trawl through page after page of threads

BBC weather maps seem to show a large area of white tomorrow night over the NW

Please can someone update me.......Thank you

From weatheronline:

Issued: 16:47hrs Tuesday 22th December 2009

Simon: Another icy night ahead for much of the country. But more serious problems across southwest Scotland where quite a confined area of heavy snow is causing problems and will do so through this evening. More sleet and snow moving through southwest England and Wales tomorrow evening, and then the Midlands and northern England overnight into Christmas Eve.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=WeatherOnlineScratchBox

Looks like a much larger, more sustained area of snow if it comes off. Much less hit-and-miss than recent days for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temps are creeping up in the west now, its 3.2c here now and other places 4/5 dam the westerly wind!! so any showers will be rain i fear unless we have a cooling effect with cold downdraft of air, if not snow then hail will do

Posted

Is anyone under those line of showers starting from Blackpool, what are they falling as?

Posted

Evening all

What a great day! And it came as a compete surprise. I got into work (Hulme) at 10am, went outside for a smoke at 11.30, and there was a winter wonderland scene outside, at least an inch on the floor and a whiteout.

Shame its thawed out a bit, but really, we've had 3/4 days of snow, so cant complain :)

Took me forever to get home too :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

From weatheronline:

Issued: 16:47hrs Tuesday 22th December 2009

Simon: Another icy night ahead for much of the country. But more serious problems across southwest Scotland where quite a confined area of heavy snow is causing problems and will do so through this evening. More sleet and snow moving through southwest England and Wales tomorrow evening, and then the Midlands and northern England overnight into Christmas Eve.

http://www.weatheron...nlineScratchBox

Looks like a much larger, more sustained area of snow if it comes off. Much less hit-and-miss than recent days for sure.

Sounds good thanks mate

C.S

Posted

MetO Surface Pressure Forecast brings a trough over the region at 00z tonight, with another Weds into Thurs (which should have been a Warm Front but now predicted to be a Convective feature moving Northwards instead.)

Predicted Snowfall Forecasts estimate another max of 5cms with these features ontop of what we already have, although confined to areas over 250m ASL. Lower areas of Chehire and the Coast who have already seen some slight Snowfall will be missing out on these 2 Convective events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

bbc website shows snow after midnight until 6pm, how likely is this? the clouds over the irish are going now and that lot up north i dont think will make it

Posted

The temperature's rising! It's been below freezing all day, now it's crept up to 0.4C.

Annoying.

Drove past your house this morning about 8am. Great Asby was looking very nice with its dusting of snow :winky:

Mark

Teesdale

Posted

bbc website shows snow after midnight until 6pm, how likely is this? the clouds over the irish are going now and that lot up north i dont think will make it

" and the good news, by Boxing day we will see the thaw" silly woman doing that forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

" and the good news, by Boxing day we will see the thaw" silly woman doing that forecast.

Dont tell me Diane Oxbury said that ?

Seriously she must think the whole of NW weather is based on what the Liverpool Dock area gets with some of her forecasts. Ive noticed shes a mild ramper !. Remember last thursday .. no snow in her forecast and what happened ? some of us got a few cm.

Posted

Seriously she must think the whole of NW weather is based on what the Liverpool Dock area gets with some of her forecasts. Ive noticed shes a mild ramper !. Remember last thursday .. no snow in her forecast and what happened ? some of us got a few cm.

was todays hammering of snow even forecasted?

we got more from today than we did on sunday (although alot of it seems to be slush now)

but still a nice winter snow wonderland all over the roads and gardens... my back garden must have at least two inches left, and its starting to freeze over

Posted

It is a reference to the snow etc over the Borders and Cumbria I think and is forecast to get to the Manchester region by between 5 and 8am although disintegrating and petering out as it does so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Metcheck going for Snow Wed night for the NW

C.S

Posted

Metcheck going for Snow Wed night for the NW

C.S

would be nice

although i must say, after 3/4 days of snow, im getting sick of slipping over on my way to work

buses werent even coming through regularly this evening after work, and i work in Hulme! had to get someone to come and pick me up :(

Posted

Aye, she is without doubt the most irritating forecaster on TV. Pity they didn't cut her tongue out, instead of shaving her hair for children in need! A bit OTT I know!

Posted

sleety/hail showers here the temp has risen to 4c now and even inland keswick at 3c and shap 2c 1200ft up!! and tonight was forecast cold!!!!!! warmest its been for days!!!!

Posted

MetO Surface Pressure Forecast brings a trough over the region at 00z tonight, with another Weds into Thurs (which should have been a Warm Front but now predicted to be a Convective feature moving Northwards instead.)

Predicted Snowfall Forecasts estimate another max of 5cms with these features ontop of what we already have, although confined to areas over 250m ASL. Lower areas of Chehire and the Coast who have already seen some slight Snowfall will be missing out on these 2 Convective events.

250m - presumably specifically for tomorrows event? That makes it quite marginal for most of us. So far for my own area marginal has not entered into it with the best part of a foot of snow here. One to watch without a doubt although any real milder weather is not likely to show its face until Boxing Day and even then if some of the models are to be believed the transition to less cold weather could be quite short-lived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

sleety/hail showers here the temp has risen to 4c now and even inland keswick at 3c and shap 2c 1200ft up!! and tonight was forecast cold!!!!!! warmest its been for days!!!!

I've noticed this also. My thermometer has packed in due to the snow, however it does feel less cold outside. The Beeb's forecast of snow contrasts against the temperatures showing on the met office site ATM which go for 5/6C overnight here with sleet and hail. Similar temperatures in Preston and South Cumbria are to be found. There's seems to be some sort of mix up to me, perhaps the Beeb are covering all bases after the large number of showers that have been missed in recent days...

Anyone know the cause of the warming? unsure.gif

C.L.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

I've noticed this also. My thermometer has packed in due to the snow, however it does feel less cold outside. The Beeb's forecast of snow contrasts against the temperatures showing on the met office site ATM which go for 5/6C overnight here with sleet and hail. Similar temperatures in Preston and South Cumbria are to be found. There's seems to be some sort of mix up to me, perhaps the Beeb are covering all bases after the large number of showers that have been missed in recent days...

C.L.

its very annoying really, its must be the strong westerly wind here atm wish it would get lost!!!

Posted

its very annoying really, its must be the strong westerly wind here atm wish it would get lost!!!

Yep i think with the wind coming in off the Irish Sea, then it is "warming" the air a little bit hence the higher temps and also the fact that there might be a some sort of mild sector. The upper air temps just scrape too -5.

Apparently it's 2C in Newcastle - mildest it's been all day, hopefully if the PPN manages to cross the Pennines, it will fall as snow here and not sleet or hail.

Posted

There's definately a less cold feel to the night so far! I went to the gym at 4:30pm and I was hoping to see surfaces freeze by the time I came out. To the contrary, there was a slow thaw!

Clear skies now so the temperature is slowly falling but I hope those showers don't reach me!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This organised shower activity is forming along an old occluded front which may, indeed, have the remnants of a warm sector wrapped within it. I'm guessing the 2C is within the urban heat island of Newcastle centre as it's still only 0.6C here. Certainly looking wrong side of marginal for low ground to the west of the Pennines- perhaps Diane's sought-after thaw (clearly trying to present some good news on the assumption that the vast majority of viewers are desperate for a thaw and couldn't care less about whether we get a white Christmas) is set to come earlier than she forecast for some? For areas near the Irish Sea I suggest this is odds-on to happen, at least temporarily although it could snow again tomorrow and maybe on Christmas Eve.