Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted

I am a little too far north for the Merseyside streamer so not much precipitation over the last half a hour.

I think the showery activity will soon start to decrease, even in Merseyside! However, Cumbria will have loads more this evening and overnight!

Karyo

Posted

Hi all .. Chris from Preston...newby to weather watching, following this thread over the last few days has ben good fun (although I have worried myself a bit with how obsesive I have become and gf thinks ive lost the plot)

Tell me if im wide of the mark here but it seems to me that earlier in this event the thread was fulll of predictions from everyone, none of which seemed too accurate....predictions have dried up somewhat...has this event been so unpredictable that no one wants to put there neck on the line now.....

I cant see any more significant snow for the Preston Lancaster area over the next day or so...any thoghts???

Posted

I am a little too far north for the Merseyside streamer so not much precipitation over the last half a hour.

I think the showery activity will soon start to decrease, even in Merseyside! However, Cumbria will have loads more this evening and overnight!

Karyo

The weather is having a laugh now!!! After the rain washing away the teeny bit of snow here we've just had 10-15 minutes of hail then snow ( or is it graupel...) and have a light covering again! It isn't thick enough to stay but it is nice to look at!

Thanks to those of you who are posting pictures - they're lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp really struggling today, max now of 1.2c around 2 miles from the sea, even st bees has not got above 1.7c today and thats a sea front town with a westerly breeze and yet further south of cumbria it has reached about 4 maybe 5 c? is the sea warmer down there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

We've had thunder snow here this morning about 9.00/9.30, a huge flash of lightening and 2 claps of thunder. Other than that moderate sleet/snow showers. There was a nice covering early on but it's gone wet and slushy now, it is treacherous trying to walk, and the roads aren't much better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

anyone noticed the temp at tulloch bridge? -13.1 its been falling all day thats scary...

Posted

The weather is clearning here and I can see blue sky and some beautiful anvils around!

Hopefully, the temperature will start to fall away soon (aided by clear spells).

Karyo

Posted

Hi all .. Chris from Preston...newby to weather watching, following this thread over the last few days has ben good fun (although I have worried myself a bit with how obsesive I have become and gf thinks ive lost the plot)

Hi Chris and welcome!

I'm only a winter visitor here but it's a great place to be when you're learning and the snow threads are really exciting! You will become obsessed - but don't fight it! It won't work!

WOW! Snow Alert! We're having a brief blizzard here! Pleeeeese stay this time!

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

The Mersey streamer now beginning to shift SE as the wind vectors begin to shift. Good news for anyone in Stoke.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Well I've just got back from a run to Fleetwood - and found an extra 3" of snow here - and I missed it sad.gif

any more still on it's way? or am I really asking faaar too much now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Looks like a few more showers are starting to develop further north...could be interesting

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Sleet starting to penetrate further inland now :yahoo:

Posted

anyone noticed the temp at tulloch bridge? -13.1 its been falling all day thats scary...

I'd noticed that, seeing -7's and 8's quite widely across the Highlands, I hope we get a -20 tonight! Coldest in our area is a relatively toasty -3.4 at Spadeadam. Noticed some fog starting to form over fields on my belated way to work this afternoon, hopefully this is a sign of cold settling over our snow cover and giving us some noteable mins.

Posted

Sleet/rain here now in Wigan, but its been brilliant today, a nice taster of winter to come, i hope :yahoo:

That must be coming my way then! I'd rather al the showers to clear now and get subzero again!

Karyo

Posted

Sleet/rain here now in Wigan, but its been brilliant today, a nice taster of winter to come, i hope :yahoo:

What part of Wigan are you , it's not raining here (Aspull)

Posted

Just started snowing heavy here now, I can't believe our luck so far, can only see clouds to our West it's looking good. From what I gather we are due some more this afternoon & tonight, not sure why MetO doesn't have any warning for Cumbria?

Posted

Looks like much of the snow/hail is going to last the day in Wallasey. Wasn't expecting that! Shame about the coastal factor being a pain in the backside yet again.

It's starting to feel frosty again now. I just need temperatures to drop below zero again and the showers to continue - then we could be talking business.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just had a very intense shower of hail that lasted over 30 mins!!

Left an inch cover and 3 inch drifts!

Temperatures fell to 0.8c in the shower!!

1.8c atm, with all of the cover still here :)

Posted

Looks like much of the snow/hail is going to last the day in Wallasey. Wasn't expecting that! Shame about the coastal factor being a pain in the backside yet again.

It's starting to feel frosty again now. I just need temperatures to drop below zero again and the showers to continue - then we could be talking business.

Currently im in the centre of wigan (shopping/mobile device), I live in Haydock, not far and its also raining there too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Some small showers are develpoing in the Irish Sea again. Already got some green colours in them, so they are heavy.

BLOODY NORA! -15C IN TULLOCH BRIDGE! MALFUNCTION?

Posted

Some small showers are develpoing in the Irish Sea again. Already got some green colours in them, so they are heavy.

BLOODY NORA! -15C IN TULLOCH BRIDGE! MALFUNCTION?

Seems to be a heavy band of snow affecting N Ireland and Scotland, any chance that will track down over the night, hence the warning being upgraded on the met office website?