Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

they're not trapped, they should just get out and walk!

Walk where ?. 17 miles down the A33 at night at sub zero temps and to where ? Their 'trapped'

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I know some people are really excited about all this snow and I for one was one of them but now this is getting to be a more serious issue.

Sorry if this offends anyone

Janet

I am offended, shocked, appalled and humiliated.

Posted

Yeah, I do wan't snow but I do feel bad for all the people stuck outside in their cars right now and people having to go to work (Me included!)

That should't offend anyone surely?

after i saw the utter chaos in basingstoke, dont be so joyful about snow. we're talking major roads that werent gritted - and i think a lot of families will be trapped overnight in their cars.

was a bit shocked at the utter lack of police or army. was talking to neighbours on the way home who had started giving cups of tea out to the drivers because there was NOBODY else out there..

Posted

Its very easy for those sat in their nice warm sitting room in front of their pc who really dont have to go anywhere far in the near future to want more snow or not feel for those who are stuck in traffic at the moment.

Truth is there are people who have to travel for work, to make sure that people are safe, to make sure that people have food over the next few weeks etc etc. There are people who would love to spend christmas with loved ones who may be living far away and there are the poor people who have been stuck in traffic for hours on end. Yes sure getting out and walking may seem like a good idea, some of these people MAY live too far to walk or for reasons like frailty or a disability cannot get out and simply walk. What would happen in the morning (should all these people be able to walk) got out of their cars, leaving them where they are and walked home??

I know some people are really excited about all this snow and I for one was one of them but now this is getting to be a more serious issue.

Janet

Im sure we are all thinking of them but it isn't our fault. Act of god comes to mind. But then you could be saying what you just said to the gritting agency's. Also its everyone's fault as we all moan when the bbc or whoever get the forecast wrong, they have to now be very cautious and sometimes say very little before its to late. 1 person sees snow then the panic begins because people know it could be a long drive home and so the all start rushing home and still cause the chaos.

Anyway yes were are thinking of thos less fortunate people but also want the snow. We cant win....

Guest archiesmummy

Hi Guys

can anyone have a guess at south west essex getting anymore snow?

Pleeeeeeeese!

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

you lot think you are going to see snow in london,kent etc...

No chance according to bbc news 24 now.. with louise lear..

MARK,Oxford

This is exactly what I thought. Where the idea of more snow came from god knows, I wish but naaa not happening!

Posted

Hi and welcome Meso.

Where are you?? If you go into your profile you can add your location.

Could'nt find where to do that, was the first thing i looked for and didnt find it so i put my location in my sig. Camberley, Surrey.

May just wait for the 11.30 radar loop before bed!

Posted

Im sure we are all thinking of them but it isn't our fault. Act of god comes to mind. But then you could be saying what you just said to the gritting agency's. Also its everyone's fault as we all moan when the bbc or whoever get the forecast wrong, they have to now be very cautious and sometimes say very little before its to late. 1 person sees snow then the panic begins because people know it could be a long drive home and so the all start rushing home and still cause the chaos.

Anyway yes were are thinking of thos less fortunate people but also want the snow. We cant win....

Yes I understand my post was not aimed at everyone . . just those stupid enough that people cant be trapped . . that people can always get out and walk. Just because someone can drive does not mean that they can necessarily walk. That is why where are so many adapted vehicles on the road. If a better forecast had been given then maybe people may have been able to get home before things started getting bad.

Janet

Posted

Its very easy for those sat in their nice warm sitting room in front of their pc who really dont have to go anywhere far in the near future to want more snow or not feel for those who are stuck in traffic at the moment.

Truth is there are people who have to travel for work, to make sure that people are safe, to make sure that people have food over the next few weeks etc etc. There are people who would love to spend christmas with loved ones who may be living far away and there are the poor people who have been stuck in traffic for hours on end. Yes sure getting out and walking may seem like a good idea, some of these people MAY live too far to walk or for reasons like frailty or a disability cannot get out and simply walk. What would happen in the morning (should all these people be able to walk) got out of their cars, leaving them where they are and walked home??

Janet

It doesnt offend me personally Janet, and you make some valid points. The fact is though its weather, its beyond our control, and we have to deal with whatever it throws at us.

Posted

Just started again here, can't believe how much we've got today. Really sympathise with those who've been seriously caught out though today. Many of my friends have had horrific journeys and the A4 near to me is literally a car park at the moment.

Off topic....BLUE ARMY!!

Posted

after i saw the utter chaos in basingstoke, dont be so joyful about snow. we're talking major roads that werent gritted -

To be fair, I followed a gritter for a couple of miles just before lunch which was giving the Sherfield on Loddon to Bramley road a good dose of salt n grit.

An hour later it rained washing it all away, froze and started snowing. When I went down it at 4pm it had a good 1 -2 inches of snow on it with ice underneath. Nightmare.

Posted

The Shower now over the Central South is starting to align itself with the Streamer axis, precip is beginning to line with the 500hpa wind vectors, bringing the Streamer into London within the next Hour.

South of the Stream into the Channel theres yet more precip building with the Southern Coast as its intended target.

Posted

Lol if this is how people react over 2inches of snow god knows what would happen if it was like Dec 1981!

Remember it well, trying to drag my Daughters pushchair in it!!!

Those were the days [long gone thankfully]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Left work in Croydon at 6.30, 10 miles away, walked through front door dead on 10.30 here in Lee SE12! :whistling:

Thats nothing, took my daughter 4 hours to drive from Croydon to Anerley SE20, barely 4 miles!

Absolute chaos out there.

What idiot said this morning and I quote, " It is entirely possible that most, if not all lying snow, south and east of London could've melted by this evening, except for high ground"! :rofl:

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Fantastic isn't it. Here are some interesting stats for Peterborough during this cold spell.

So far snow has fallen every day since Thurs. The snow has come from the N,S,E,W. The highest temp has been 1C since Thurs and this has only occured for around 6hrs. The rest of the time its been below freezing including 2 ice days. The lowest temp has been -7C. Current lying snow is around 3-4 inches.

Also i've probably smoked 200 cigs since Thurs and had around 60 cups of tea whilst radar watching lol.

Lastly if you think this cold spell is going away then don't worry as I think it will return around New Years eve. Remember you heard it here first!

I've got about 200 gig buts on the patio buried under snow.. Gotta clear them tomorrow before mother arrrives. She thinks I don't smoke!

Posted

The amount of snow in the band of precipitation seems to be diminishing though... I'm guessing that a few areas will get a lot of snow, most will have any snow currently lying washed away by rain or sleet and that almost everybody will have a lot of ice to deal with in the morning.

My link

Posted

Anyone else get the impression we're 'scraping the barrel' here?

Steady moderate snow falling here/ verging on heavy at times.

Does that help??

Posted

The amount of snow in the band of precipitation seems to be diminishing though... I'm guessing that a few areas will get a lot of snow, most will have any snow currently lying washed away by rain or sleet and that almost everybody will have a lot of ice to deal with in the morning.

My link

Washed away? It shows sleet over Reading but heavy snow is falling there! Also it's snowing near Southampton.

Edited by saint

Posted

The Shower now over the Central South is starting to align itself with the Streamer axis, precip is beginning to line with the 500hpa wind vectors, bringing the Streamer into London within the next Hour.

South of the Stream into the Channel theres yet more precip building with the Southern Coast as its intended target.

Is this a serious forecast? It does seem to match up with my radar but i'm no expert and is it cold enough on London?

Posted

Hi and welcome Meso.

Where are you?? If you go into your profile you can add your location.

Found it!

Thanks Kiwi.

Before i go to bed i have to say i couldn't agree more about the dangers of getting trapped. To be fair the girl who said get out and walk probably doesnt need to drive to far out of Enfield to get anything, a very busy and built up area. Being stuck on the a33 is no joke in these conditions, most are probably still miles from there home.

We really should be better prepared, especially in the se were 1" can cause chaos.

Night all.

Edited by mesocyclone