Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi Nick,

Only joined today but i've been lurking everytime there is anything severe forcast!

I'm thinking this being the cold front and with the english channel giving some lake effect we really could see another very heavy dumping. I've often read about this period that it really is a nowcast and i think something is happening down there!

Welcome to net weather :rofl:

Earlier in the evening i was rather dubious about any further snow for London and the se, at the moment we need to keep an eye on that precip near the Isle of Wight, its going to have to be a nowcast situation!

Posted

Been v.light drizzle/sleet here for the last hour or two.

Now moderate snow again adding to the 5 - 6 inches we had earlier.

(I'm about 5 mls south of Reading/ 5 miles north of Basingstoke).

I'll nudge it your way Saint.

Why thankyou very much Kiwi!:rofl:

Lets hope it works!

Posted

i'm just home after having to leave my car at the train station at basingstoke, and having to walk about 7 miles to my home.

it is LITERALLY a car park. the ring road around basingstoke and the A33 to reading - a massive - and i mean MASSIVE car park.

swear to god, i've never seen anything like this.

folks need to start making cups of tea for these folks - seriously - because there was bugger all police or army around and these folks are trapped(!!)

Posted

heavy in SE London, about 3 inches fell in 30-45 minutes. got into work in whitehall and less snow fell but still a covering in trafalgar square. maybe no more than an inch. just been outside and temps are up and snow now slushy. if we dont see anymore overnight than the hazard will be the drop in temps and the slush freezing over :lol: travel wil be a complete 'mare tomorrow morning if temps drop.

Welcome to net weather :lol:

Earlier in the evening i was rather dubious about any further snow for London and the se, at the moment we need to keep an eye on that precip near the Isle of Wight, its going to have to be a nowcast situation!

+1.9C outside, with a DewP of +1.2C Methinks no snow here :lol:

Posted

heavy in SE London, about 3 inches fell in 30-45 minutes. got into work in whitehall and less snow fell but still a covering in trafalgar square. maybe no more than an inch. just been outside and temps are up and snow now slushy. if we dont see anymore overnight than the hazard will be the drop in temps and the slush freezing over sad.gif travel wil be a complete 'mare tomorrow morning if temps drop.

By J3 M3. Started as rain and slowly turned back and forth until dumping 1inch of wet stuff causing caos!

Looking at the radar, the nice heavy blob in hampshire is edging eastwards. Come to daddy!

Posted

That energy working along the front from the SW looks like it could bring quite a bit of snow to areas NW of London fairly soon.

Posted

woah woah woah hold ya horses peeps. are we sayin there is the potential for snow in kent again this eve, an answer please!!

Edited by tornadica

Posted

That energy working along the front from the SW looks like it could bring quite a bit of snow to areas NW of London fairly soon.

That's what we like to hear!!!!!!! It is slowly edging NNE/NE :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

As i type this Louise on BBcN24 has just said the BeeB forecast has bee "pretty much spot-on" :rofl:

i saw that too! what a load of rubbish! they were saying any snow was going to be confined to the NW of London and that it would be light. It was much heavier, and hit a larger area. London was also hit quite badly.

Posted

If anyone needs motivation to stay up a little longer to see what happens then the BBC saying no snow is a great motivator.

Sorry if im rubbishing the BBC but your better off on here because at least we check the radar!!

Posted

i'm just home after having to leave my car at the train station at basingstoke, and having to walk about 7 miles to my home.

it is LITERALLY a car park. the ring road around basingstoke and the A33 to reading - a massive - and i mean MASSIVE car park.

folks need to start making cups of tea for these folks - seriously - because there was bugger all police or army around and these folks are trapped(!!)

Sympathise Justinflavin it was bad enough when I went down to Sherborne St John mid afternoon. My good deed for the evening iinvolved a shovel and a lady in a car -- no tea though.

What part of the Basingstoke area are you in?

Posted

If anyone needs motivation to stay up a little longer to see what happens then the BBC saying no snow is a great motivator.

Sorry if im rubbishing the BBC but your better off on here because at least we check the radar!!

BBC stop live forecasts around this time of night don't they? then the rest of the night is recorded forecasts. i have never understood why they dont have live updates in times of severe weather :whistling:

Posted

Sympathise Justinflavin it was bad enough when I went down to Sherborne St John mid afternoon. My good deed for the evening iinvolved a shovel and a lady in a car -- no tea though.

What part of the Basingstoke area are you in?

Thats where this next batch is coming very close to. The infrastucture of this country amazes me, we have everything you need, it just doesnt work!

Posted

The beeb are reporting (again) from the Luton flyover. Hilarious, the reporter shows us the view from the bridge over the m1 "ooh, look at he traffic!" he then takes 6 seconds to cross the bridge and points "ooh look at he traffic!!!) Voice over man on the ,BBC news as I type this says "why don't they tell us?"

Not watching NW are they?

Posted

Dave,

How many winters gone by where we have longed for this :huh:

So much excitement just watching the radar :whistling:

Posted

BBC stop live forecasts around this time of night don't they? then the rest of the night is recorded forecasts. i have never understood why they dont have live updates in times of severe weather :whistling:

23:57 is the last live forecast. I too don't understand the logic of 6 hours of the same forecast played time after time when there are actually some people who work at night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

they're not trapped, they should just get out and walk!

Posted

Woop woop.....:huh:

On a serious note, on the A41 people are ringing the local BBC Radio station and saying they have been stuck there for 7 hours!:whistling: Low on fuel, no food or drink and have not seen any police, gritters, highways agency for any of that time......... people are scared now...... quite serious........

Luton airport all flights suspended till at least 4:30am.

Posted

I just put this in the South Central thread, but thought you guys further north may be interested! A traffic camera on the A33 just south of Reading:

post-1957-12614371898913_thumb.jpg

Posted

they're not trapped, they should just get out and walk!

Yeah there's one thing that amazes me about this country (specifically SE England) are how stupid some people are, it makes you wonder how much it takes for common sense to kick in.