Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 4

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Temperatures starting to drop fast now, 2.6C and falling.

I reckon itll go down to -1C here tonight, although the problem comes about then this rainwater freezes on the sensor thus giving readings that are wildly too low.

It has dropped from a max high of 2.8c to 1.3c in 25 mins...that is amazing

Posted

Driving back from the Cat&Fiddle pub back to Sale was a mixed bag journey. Strong, fridig winds up there when we left at 6ishs after a walk in the frozen tundra of the moors, it started swowing. By the time we got to Whalley Bridge, it turned into rain. 30min later, after a visit to the chippy and supermarket, on the way towards Stockport, it started snowing heavily, huge flakes. Stockport was turning into a winter wonderland, M60 treacherous then when approaching Sale, wet mush and cold rain...

Weird, we've had nothing but Snow here all evening. Not even a hint of rain/sleet.

Posted

Is it possible that the mild sector is going to stay for the night?

no , it's definately being pushed out, temps will plummet soon ,i'm sure ..and those snow showers are packing into NW scotland now, looks good for tomorrow <_<

Posted

no , it's definately being pushed out, temps will plummet soon ,i'm sure ..and those snow showers are packing into NW scotland now, looks good for tomorrow <_<

surely those showers will snow themselves out over land before they reach us?

Posted

The westerly element to the wind will bring the showers straight off the irish sea. Not convinced they will be snow here but a few miles inland should get a good covering tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No. They are meant to join together for one. And number two, they will pick up moisture as they cross rivers ect.

Posted

The westerly element to the wind will bring the showers straight off the irish sea. Not convinced they will be snow here but a few miles inland should get a good covering tomorrow.

well im 7 miles in land as the crow flies (not including the ribble estuary) what do you think i will see? temps are supposed to be a max of 3c tomorrow, so will any snow stick around?

Edited by K.1000

It's notable, but maybe because of the reduced activity on the front, the fall in temperature is not associated with precipitation as it was in Scotland. Some parts had a dramatic drop in temperature and a sudden covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

They almost definitely will be of snow here, so you know where to come if you do get rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wow think the cold air is here now.. the thick fog just got blasted away in an instant and started to hailstone ! now i can see for miles. thats probably the most amazing thing ive seen today lol. Temp droping sharply down from 1.5c and tumbling !. Think I will wait about for the 18Z GFS run

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

No. They are meant to join together for one. And number two, they will pick up moisture as they cross rivers ect.

As wigan is on the banks of the mighty river Douglas we should be in for a record snowfall :D

Posted

Weird, we've had nothing but Snow here all evening. Not even a hint of rain/sleet.

Hi Rob looks more like sleet now and as for the reports of 15cm in higher areas, its about a cm here, put my finger in about 5mins ago came up to about my finger nail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Ste has the mild sector started to bugger off yet? My cover is starting to melt,its after 9 and id have thought it would have been well gone by now?

Yes the temperature held steady but it is really starting to drop now perhaps. 2.5 to 2.3 in 2 minutes

Posted

2.2c here. Temp gone down 0.4c in 5 mins.

Posted

Now at 0.8c thats a drop of 2.0c in little under an hour...we're certainly out of the mild air...maybe we will reach -5c after all

Posted

You guys should come up the hill lol. Got about 2cm of the white stuff here on surfaces in the open. Took a few pics which I'll upload soon.

Posted

Anywhere that has snow today that fell and settled has real chance of falling to to as low as -10C I reckon.

Those who had rain though, around -4C at worst.

As wigan is on the banks of the mighty river Douglas we should be in for a record snowfall :yahoo:

That's what causes the infamous Manchester rain. A wind at just the right angle blows the length of the ship canal and evaporates it before condensing it somewhere about Granada Studios and the Arndale Centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Anywhere that has snow today that fell and settled has real chance of falling to to as low as -10C I reckon.

Those who had rain though, around -4C at worst.

Good to hear :yahoo:, we got down to -8.7C with just a couple of cms this morning, if it gets down to -10C it will our coldest temperature since at least 2001 I think.

Edited by James M

Posted

is that confirmation the polar air is here?

DEFINATLEY!

It's now 1.7c here!