Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Server Now Online

Paul

Posted

Hi all, sorry for the downtime this afternoon, there may be another bounce shortly too as we're upgrading this server with some more memory. We'll also be moving the forum onto a brand new server (probably tomorrow), but I'll let you know about that in due course.

Paul

That's the memory upgrade complete..

You'll notice the forum is running in a very cut down state, this is to ensure everything stays running smoothly while we check the servers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

is the netweather site run from a members dedicated server ? seems to be far too many problems and shutdowns lately.

Posted

Thanks for the break Paul! :lol:

Posted

I felt exposed without my radar sad.gifsmile.gif

But I must say that it goes to show just how great a job Netweather is doing !

(Im sure your all driking champagne and celebrating the increased traffic and subscibers... :lol:)

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

is the netweather site run from a members dedicated server ? seems to be far too many problems and shutdowns lately.

I agree, it's been a difficult time over the last month or so with a few periods of downtime.

In actual fact our uptime is still around above 99% over the period, but having enjoyed a period of virtually 100% uptime in the months and years up to this sticky spell it feels a lot worse than it's actually been. Either way though it's frustrating and we're working hard here as are rackspace our server hosts to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible going forward.

To answer your question though, yes we run on dedicated servers (more than one) and we'll be bringing another new server online from tomorrow as well which will help to share the load.

Thanks for the break Paul! :lol:

No problem!

Posted

Thanks Paul and to the NW team for fixing this, you guys do a great job!

Edited by Snowman0697

I know it's not showing currently but for those interested in the record, we have 1000+ people online on the forum currently...

Always the same when it's cold and snowy, most of us understand this and are suitably patient :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Always the same when it's cold and snowy, most of us understand this and are suitably patient :good:

Any ideas about likely times for a return of forum locations and radar, please?

Posted

The forum is likely to run in this mode until tomorrow when we bring the new server online. Radar is running fine though and has been back up for some time now.

Posted

I know it's not showing currently but for those interested in the record, we have 1000+ people online on the forum currently...

Did you have all these problems last feb when you had 1200 online?

dont remember so :shok:

Posted

But at that time we didn't have as many other people on the rest of the site as we do now - traffic site wide is well up on Feb last year. Plus the forum software has been upgraded since then and with more features comes more work for the server..

Posted

I think so V, we'll be putting the forum onto a new server in the morning and it probably won't be until then that we re-instate all the searches/pm's/sidebar/profiles etc.

Posted

Just to clarify as we're getting a lot of emails about this, the forum is running in a cut down mode at the moment to save server load, this means that pm's, profiles, the side bar, users online list, search and various other items aren't running.

These are unlikely to come back online until tomorrow when the forum can be placed onto a new server. We're worry for the inconvenience this may cause but it's needed to ensure everything runs as smoothly as possible until the new server is online.

Just to clarify as we're getting a lot of emails about this, the forum is running in a cut down mode at the moment to save server load, this means that pm's, profiles, the side bar, users online list, search and various other items aren't running.

These are unlikely to come back online until tomorrow when the forum can be placed onto a new server. We're worry for the inconvenience this may cause but it's needed to ensure everything runs as smoothly as possible until the new server is online.

Hope it all goes well, does the restriction on the forum include uploading pics as attachments or am I just not doing it right?? Can anyone tell me, I usually manage fine. Honest :whistling:

I think you should be able to upload files still - is the file you're trying to upload below 3mb?

It was a save from the radar from earlier today, I will try it again Paul as I probs made a mistake and did take the paintbrush to it. I'm sure now it was just me who made a mess of it, thanks anyway :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

EditL It was me, I saved in the wrong format. Doesn't usually do that to me :whistling:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I agree, it's been a difficult time over the last month or so with a few periods of downtime.

In actual fact our uptime is still around above 99% over the period, but having enjoyed a period of virtually 100% uptime in the months and years up to this sticky spell it feels a lot worse than it's actually been. Either way though it's frustrating and we're working hard here as are rackspace our server hosts to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible going forward.

To answer your question though, yes we run on dedicated servers (more than one) and we'll be bringing another new server online from tomorrow as well which will help to share the load.

No problem!

Thnx for the response paul , I agree that you guys at NW do a great Job here but I have to be blunt when I say this, I used to run a successfull gaming community for 6 years ( multiple servers and community web site ) and Rackspace has always been known to be a poor server host that most good game communities tried to avoid. cool.gif

Posted

Paul I must say that I am more than happy with the service you provide, even when there are occasional problems you are always quick to inform us of the causes. Many thank to all at netweather for teir hard work over the years I have been visiting the site. It is a pleasure to come on to such a well moderated site!

Posted

Well tbh, although we've had one or two issues with them in recent times, we've been with them over 3 years now and generally have a very good relationship with them, their network is very good, hardware is good, have a strong sla and fast response times (eg we had new memory installed into the server this afternoon within 20 minutes of requesting it).

In our research it was hard to find people who had a bad thing to say about rackspace, albeit that we didn't look within the gaming community as it's not our market (although if the prerequisite for a decent gaming server is decent hardware, low latency and reliability then I'm not sure where you'd go wrong with Rackspace). In the business / consumer market they're known as one of the market leaders and have a huge number of very large companies/sites as clients:

http://www.rackspace...e-home/clients/

Paul I must say that I am more than happy with the service you provide, even when there are occasional problems you are always quick to inform us of the causes. Many thank to all at netweather for teir hard work over the years I have been visiting the site. It is a pleasure to come on to such a well moderated site!

Thanks CF, and in fact to everyone else for their support!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Starting to get a few problems again Paul.

Coming up with error when I just tried to access technical thread