Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Last February we were on the 'right' side of marginal. At the mo, we're in that typical weather 'area' that receives the real cra#py stuff - cold, damp, but not cold enough for snow.wallbash.gif

The thing is people like me were really hoping we'd get a classic late70s/early 80s situ, with a dry few days and the colder air getting entrenched, temps at freezing during the day and then the snow coming a few days down the line. That was what some of the models a week ago were predicting for now and the coming weekend. That would've been like Dec 81.

The current set up is nothing like Dec 81, as some people were predicting a few days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

At least it will be getting cold from tomorrow. However I can't hide my disappointment that the ppt. on the models seems mainly in the N and E, and relatively dry for Gloucestershire (compared with recent runs). Hopefully the northerly over the weekend will bring something more widespread. I will be disappointed to come through this cold spell without a covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Last February we were on the 'right' side of marginal. At the mo, we're in that typical weather 'area' that receives the real cra#py stuff - cold, damp, but not cold enough for snow.wallbash.gif

The thing is people like me were really hoping we'd get a classic late70s/early 80s situ, with a dry few days and the colder air getting entrenched, temps at freezing during the day and then the snow coming a few days down the line. That was what some of the models a week ago were predicting for now and the coming weekend. That would've been like Dec 81.

The current set up is nothing like Dec 81, as some people were predicting a few days ago.

it could still go in our favour though. 2.1c now and back to sleet

Just looked at other threads and i have to say i am impressed us in west needed a new one before the populated south east! although i expect they are getting the winter chains prepared and the salt bins stocked up so they don't have time... crazy.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

The MetOffice SW forecast is actually quite optimistic!

"Cold and dry in many parts with plenty of sunshine through the day. Turning cloudier across eastern areas with snow showers likely through the afternoon. Moderate or fresh northeasterly winds. Maximum temperature 5 °C."

"Likely" is the key word here. Perhaps it could turn out better than expected, with more ppt. around.

Posted

"Cold and dry in many parts with plenty of sunshine through the day. Turning cloudier across eastern areas with snow showers likely through the afternoon. Moderate or fresh northeasterly winds. Maximum temperature 5 °C."

"Likely" is the key word here. Perhaps it could turn out better than expected, with more ppt. around.

one word.... "straws" help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Whats annoying about this ' cold' spell is the set up has looked so promising, its been tracked on the models for upwards of 2 weeks and yet it has just seemed to fizzle into a huge nothing.

Even last December was more cold and seasonal than this one, so far this month I have had just 4 air frosts, a high of 12.7C and a low of -4.3C. Where as this time last year I'd had 10 air frosts, the max temperature hadnt exceeded 8.3C and I had had a low of -5.7C. Faux cold or not its been a much better deal than the 'drizzle' from the east. :lol:

Posted

Good luck, ye i think sometimes the ppn is "underdone" so who knows.

Posted

I saw a quote from Osbourne One-N in the model thread earlier, although i cant seem to find it now.

It said something like: ''Give this cold spell a chance, it hasnt started yet ''

I agree really :lol:

I think the BBC Spotlight forecast earlier was forecasting temps a little too high on its outlook as usual. It wont be 4C on Friday with 850hpa temps just below -10C. Only some far SW coasts of Cornwall and the Scilly isles could get that I think. more like 1-2C for most places. Into the weekend and maxes were forecast a bit too high still I expect

Edit: surprisingly the temp has dropped to 0.6C here now. I expect thats due to a few clear gaps though and it will warm slightly when the precipitation moves in as it has some slightly warmer air tied in with it.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

I saw a quote from Osbourne One-N in the model thread earlier, although i cant seem to find it now.

It said something like: ''Give this cold spell a chance, it hasnt started yet ''

I agree really smile.gif

I think the BBC Spotlight forecast earlier was forecasting temps a little too high on its outlook as usual. It wont be 4C on Friday with 850hpa temps just below -10C. Only some far SW coasts of Cornwall and the Scilly isles could get that I think. more like 1-2C for most places. Into the weekend and maxes were forecast a bit too high still I expect

Please inform us when it starts because i am scared i might just miss it while eating breakfast or somthing like that.crazy.gif

Sorry i shouldnt be so down your right we should at least wait for the pub run to cheer us all up. rofl.gif

Posted

I agree really :lol:

i think the snow will def come to our neck of the woods , them strong winds will bring the snow :blush: ,

Posted

Just looked at other threads and i have to say i am impressed us in west needed a new one before the populated south east! although i expect they are getting the winter chains prepared and the salt bins stocked up so they don't have time...

I noticed that! They may have more snow, but we know how to have a good old chat! Or should that be a good old moan? :lol:

It was the same in February....we had more "discussion" threads than any other region, I think. Ah, that has to say something about us, doesn't it.....snow or no snow.....we are the gobbiest!

What a complete and utter letdown this has been. I knew we were not the ones who were going to be blizzarded to kingdom come, but I thought we might get something......... :blush: :(:(

I gather that tricky dicky didn't bring any comfort, then? :lol:

Posted

I noticed that! They may have more snow, but we know how to have a good old chat! Or should that be a good old moan? laugh.gif

It was the same in February....we had more "discussion" threads than any other region, I think. Ah, that has to say something about us, doesn't it.....snow or no snow.....we are the gobbiest!

What a complete and utter letdown this has been. I knew we were not the ones who were going to be blizzarded to kingdom come, but I thought we might get something......... sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

I gather that tricky dicky didn't bring any comfort, then? smiliz65.gif

Tricky dicky has been consigned to the recycle box on my desktop now i am afraid to say. He just doesnt do it for me of late.

Forecast was very bad again so no.

I shall use cheryl as a stop gap while i look for a new idol. air_kiss.gif

Posted

Rain in NE Bristol definitely got heavier sleet in it now. smile.gif

kumquat....remind me....where are you? You aren't in Winterbourne, are you? I remember we chatted in February.

Greetings from Downend!

Am just going to have a lamp, to see what it's doing here........

Posted

Wow has anyone looked at the ppn type on radar of late because the back edge is getting quite wintry now!

Is the cold air under cutting it faster or more than expected?pardon.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Wow has anyone looked at the ppn type on radar of late because the back edge is getting quite wintry now!

Is the cold air under cutting it faster or more than expected?pardon.gif

Don't excite me mateclap.gif - I'll be up late again even though i have college tomorrow.wallbash.gif lol.

Posted

dont worry Westerner's one fact is assured when the South or West come's up against a Low we get well and truly dumped..

Look over the years how much heavy snowfall as happened when warm LOWS have hit stagnant cold air..

Our time will come :D

rest assured

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

would be nice to wake up with a covering :D

I'll have to rely on people with the right radar for that but seeing as it's now 1.6C and is steadily dropping every ten minutes or so by 0.1-2C it ruddy well should be snowing later on. Here's hoping. :D