Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

We got no snow here in Portsmouth yesterday evening, it didn't rain either though. Had my first frost of the winter this morning, dropped to 0C (32F) & is only at 1C (34F) now cold.gif

Posted

Glad to hear that some of the locals to this thread got to see falling snow yesterday evening.

Back to the future and it looks like the easterly(ish) winds will get going in earnest over the next 48 hours.. we need to get lucky with the strength of precip and direction of the wind to profit from them in our region.. it will certainly be fun lamppost watching!

Once we get to Friday it is all eyes to the north, which as most of you will know will require even more in the way of luck for snow to penetrate as far south as us lot way down here. Our best bet id for some form of trough to make it's way down the country a la Jan 2004 and the thundersnow event. Hope we get lucky...

Out past the end of the weekend the cold air will be firmly entrenched across the country by then, hopefully with a bit of snowcover to give us some decent overnight temps... & then we are looking at a decaying front (according to the 06z GFS) to be over the top of us by Monday, but that is a long way ahead in meterological terms!

Posted

even a little tiny flurry today and i would be happy :drinks: even if it was sleety lol

i know nothing about models and that, so for me its just a case of radar watching and looking at the forecasts lol

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

We got no snow here in Portsmouth yesterday evening, it didn't rain either though. Had my first frost of the winter this morning, dropped to 0C (32F) & is only at 1C (34F) now cold.gif

A few light flakes of snow now falling in north east Hampshire - much earlier than expected. That's two days in a row we have had some. Let's hope that any precipitation that falls today is snow and that we get a covering.

Posted

even a little tiny flurry today and i would be happy drinks.gif even if it was sleety lol

i know nothing about models and that, so for me its just a case of radar watching and looking at the forecasts lol

Looks like the best we can hope for in Pompey today is sleet this evening before it turns to rain, but Friday is looking good at the moment (but no doubt it will have changed by then!) dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Was out and about late last night. Sleet around Wyle valley early evening and some of the other high ground along the A303. Even had very wet sleet on the windscreen down in Somerset near Ilminster. Around midnight was snowing near Gillingham and a dusting of snow was noted on the ground along the A350 leaving Shaftesbury.

Posted

yeah its funny i react to a tiny sleety flurry like some people react to a proper dumping lmao

snow in pompey is like a penguin in the desert !! lol

Posted

A few light flakes of snow now falling in north east Hampshire - much earlier than expected. That's two days in a row we have had some. Let's hope that any precipitation that falls today is snow and that we get a covering.

It should fall as snow for around an hour or so in Berkshire & north east Hampshire later, but then turn back to rain as milder air cuts in.

Edited by SunnySouthCoast

Posted

Same here in West Berks - what is your location Coram and welcome! :(

Posted

yeah its funny i react to a tiny sleety flurry like some people react to a proper dumping lmao

snow in pompey is like a penguin in the desert !! lol

It is. We must be the least snowy city in the UK, even last Feb when everyone else to the north, east & west of us got a big dumping we only had a light dusting that had melted by the afternoon wallbash.gif The most snow I have seen for years was in April 2008, but once again it had all gone by lunchtime mad.gif

I'm really not holding my breath to see any snow here as we have been let down so many times in the past, its always promised then it either misses us or just falls as rain cray.gif

Posted

It is. We must be the least snowy city in the UK, even last Feb when everyone else to the north, east & west of us got a big dumping we only had a light dusting that had melted by the afternoon wallbash.gif The most snow I have seen for years was in April 2008, but once again it had all gone by lunchtime mad.gif

I'm really not holding my breath to see any snow here as we have been let down so many times in the past, its always promised then it either misses us or just falls as rain cray.gif

lol init

Here is the latest radar zoomed in on CS England (courtesy of the Net-Weather radar)!

post-2885-12609608169244_thumb.png

Enjoy Peeps

that looks good but again it will probaly be rain by the time it gets here lol lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

lol init

that looks good but again it will probaly be rain by the time it gets here lol lol

:):):(

Posted

Snow is getting much fatter and heavier now here, settling on everything which was well and truly frozen overnight.

Posted

I must admit the sky here in Portsmouth is now partly cloudy after the clear & sunny start. Please, please let even just a few flakes fall here! help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Snow is getting much fatter and heavier now here, settling on everything which was well and truly frozen overnight.

yes snowing in reading, where I work. No rain/sleet just snow

Bring it on !!!

Posted

My sister has just texted me to say its snowing in Guildford now. Shows how useless the Met Office radar is, nowt showing on there.. dry.gif

Posted

Here is the latest radar zoomed in on CS England (courtesy of the Net-Weather radar)!

post-2885-12609608169244_thumb.png

Enjoy Peeps

so would i be right in saying the snow in this image is the tiny little patch to the right of london on the met office 10.30 radar ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

In reading the snow is settling everywhere

Clearly at -1c the cold air has hang around longer and the 'rain' has arrived much earlier

Posted

so would i be right in saying the snow in this image is the tiny little patch to the right of london on the met office 10.30 radar ?

which way is it going??? somerset???

Posted

Just noticed on the Met Office website that the warnings or snow for Thursday & Friday have now been updated & include Hampshire, Berkshire & West Sussex! It even includes Portsmouth yahoo.gif