South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Morning.

Temp 0.1c DP -2.5

And it's raining.

Posted

We've had a mixture of light snow and then freezing rain. Everything is covered in a thick coating of ice now. There has already been 2 car crashes outside our house in the last 1/2 hour!

It's lethal.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Still dry here at work in Basingstoke (a few flakes of snow and graupel pellets on the drive here from Reading). Anyone down south know what's heading our way?

Clouding over here in Reading (I work here). Cant believe so much snow here a few miles north next to nothing

I would expect something in next an hour or so (and it will be snow)

Where I'm I live next to nothing, might have to spend christmas in the office

Posted

The current radar seems to show a line of precipitation with NW edge South West London to New Forest. Snow the further north you go - beyond Petersfileld, say. Sleet to the south, and rain turning to freezing rain when it hits the IOW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Heavy snow here for about 15 mins, giving everything a dusting, before turning to freezing rain... Looks like there's a fair bit more to come!

Thanks for update had a fear I would have to phone my mum who lives in Woking looks like snow is over there.

Posted

what a mixture just about everything thrown in bar the kitchen sink,just come back into Southampton and its black ice everywhere,but prob not going to last as BBC Solent weather says rain today warmer tomorrow and positively balmy come Xmas for this area.

what a let down I really thought this cold was going to become established but who knows 24Hrs is a long time as far as the weather goes let alone a week,so still hoping really the cold will put up a fight and re-establish itself.

Posted

Looks like the main band pushing up from the channel has just hit southampton and its SLEET more rain tho id say pretty much a washout by the looks of it,be interesting to see how far north it starts to turn to snow.

Posted

Raining in Winchester ...Looks like it turns to snow from half way between here and Basingstoke. Around Candover, Popham, Whitchurch area ...

Anyone know WHY this is rain? When the Temp is freezing and the Dew point 0.1?!

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

I just been looking at the charts. And its not snowing because the Dam(n) line isn't over us anymore - it's moved back north.

Posted

I just been looking at the charts. And its not snowing because the Dam(n) line isn't over us anymore - it's moved back north.

5.3c here nothing but rain here,cold spell finished.

Had a great 3 days sliding on the slops of the downs so shouldn't complain too much,but nothing like cold spells of years gone by. Back to fl on the models thenmellow.gifnonono.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

lol classic 80s :pardon:

this is it for us now i dont expect anything for sometime well i sopose it was ok for a cold snap.

lets just sit back and watch the rest of the county enjoy there snowfeast oh well we just live in the wrong part of the country.:doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'll start a new thread in a mo...All ready for today's upcoming snow event... :doh:

Posted

5.3C here. Cold spell finished with here,just rain from now on.

Great 3 days sliding on the downs,but hasn't lasted long enough,hopefully a prologned easterly cold spell next time would be niceclosedeyes.gif