Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Bit sleety here atm matey, temps 3'c don't know dew point as my weather station is dead :lol:

Could get very interesting for you in the next few hours then :) There is some heavier PPN coming down from the North East that should be here for the next 3-4 hours before clearing.

I think you may just see some some snow tonight at some point, being at 404ft ASL it's much more possible than my measly 75M ASL lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Still warmer here - 3.5 dp and 3.8 temp. Would be interested in hearing what temps /dp you all have?

Posted

Still warmer here - 3.5 dp and 3.8 temp. Would be interested in hearing what temps /dp you all have?

This is the weather station around the corner from me..

http://www.oadbyweather.com/

I am very surprised that the dew here is 1.3c yet it's 3.5c just 20 miles down the road :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

4.2c D/P 4c going out now back in 2 hoursrolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

This is the weather station around the corner from me..

http://www.oadbyweather.com/

I am very surprised that the dew here is 1.3c yet it's 3.5c just 20 miles down the road :lol:

Looking on here:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

temps averaging 3-4 in midlands with similar dew points. The lower dps are confined to the se corner...

Posted

BBC Look East verdict: "Basically, always a lot of cloud around, some days seeing more sunshine than others and if the cloud is thick enough we could see some light and patchy rain and because it's so cold we could see that turning to sleet or perhaps snow at times, but we are not expecting any large accumulations."

Very vague but the last bit is probably a fair assumption-- until the northerly arrives at least.

Posted

BBC Look East verdict: "Basically, always a lot of cloud around, some days seeing more sunshine than others and if the cloud is thick enough we could see some light and patchy rain and because it's so cold we could see that turning to sleet or perhaps snow at times, but we are not expecting any large accumulations."

Very vague but the last bit is probably a fair assumption-- until the northerly arrives at least.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet but that falls into line with what I suggested doesen't it? :lol:

Posted

I think we will be looking an average of 3-8cms around the midland area come sunday evening, which isnt bad, although when looking at possible totals in north west france which doesnt usually fair much better than us, and given the synoptics we have which many have said in the past is what we need for something special, isnt alot. I think the chance for our area to ever get huge totals we need a battle ground between a low from the south coming up against a northerly and us being just far enough south for the heavy precip but not to far so we keep cold enough air. unfortunately that is very rare, nearly happened last year but things ended up slightly to mild at the time.

Posted

I'm not blowing my own trumpet but that falls into line with what I suggested doesen't it? :whistling:

I agree with you in that I don't see there being much in the way of heavy precipitation until the weekend. Whereas, unlike yourself, if there was some heavier stuff around I do think it would mostly fall as snow due to the characteristics of this setup. Tomorrow is marginal but after that the conditions look right, bar perhaps a narrow window on Wednesday where the uppers are less cold for a time.

Perhaps this cold spell will be most notable for it's cold temperatures which should be widespread across the region with potential ice days from Friday onwards.

As I keep saying though if it's snowfall you're after then ironically the northerly could deliver more in the way of snow than the easterly, with a frontal system progged to sink southwards late Saturday/early Sunday. If it came off as the GFS is progging it at the moment, then parts of the region would be looking at several hours of light/moderate snowfall, enough to give a fair covering I would think. It reminds me somewhat of the White Easter of 2008, which delivered 6cm snow here, but more potent:

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00120080323.gif

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png

Posted

Don;t know my dp but it's 3.5c here in Evesham. And definitely just raining

Posted

Current temperature: 3.6 °C

Dew Point: 3.6 °C

Not a chance of any white stuff with them temps.

From Pitsford Hall right? The dewpoint is wrong. It almost always shows as exactly the same as the air temp which is certainly not correct. I think it's a fault with the weather station.

Posted

From Pitsford Hall right? The dewpoint is wrong. It almost always shows as exactly the same as the air temp which is certainly not correct. I think it's a fault with the weather station.

Yes mate from Pitsford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

The temp here got down to 3.8c but it is slinging it down with rain and the temp has gone back up to 4.1c

Posted

Temps here of just 3.5'c moderate rain but with the odd fleck of ice in it, i just stood outside with a torch staring at a pane of glass!! :D (the things we do for weather).

I don't think it will turn to snow tonight, but I think maybe sleet proper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Weather update..

Just been around the fields of northwest Oxfordshire (just south west of Chipping norton to be exact) And i can report Sleet on the hills ABOVE 210m, But below that

its all rain. Temps between 2.5 and 4 degs.

I will go out later with me dogs for further updates.

Paul.

Might be worth a drive to Brill Hill 600ft 6 miles from where I live

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Evening all, just got home from work...What a cruddy day!...I work outdoors and got thoroughly drenched over in Lutterworth nr Rugby....A steady cold rain all evening with the odd sleety moment & cold, but not that cold, around 5C....Back home, its a mixture of drizzle & 'Slizzle' and 4.6C...Glad to be back indoors!

Posted

hi everyone, new here and looking forward to some snow Wednesday onwards, slight sleetiness in the rain now here in nuneaton with a temp of 3.2

Posted

Evening all, just got home from work...What a cruddy day!...I work outdoors and got thoroughly drenched over in Lutterworth nr Rugby....A steady cold rain all evening with the odd sleety moment & cold, but not that cold, around 5C....Back home, its a mixture of drizzle & 'Slizzle' and 4.6C...Glad to be back indoors!

Wahey was you was technically in Leicestershire then :lol:

Rubbish weather isn't it, hope it gets colder overnight and into tomorrow morning, want to see some sleet or wet snow at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

same temp here 4.6C not dropping at all,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Wahey was you was technically in Leicestershire then :lol:

Rubbish weather isn't it, hope it gets colder overnight and into tomorrow morning, want to see some sleet or wet snow at least.

It is...but I'm quietly confident of some, at times, moderate snowfall...I havent had chance yet to look at the models (12z, as I've been out since 10am) but I do remember on the 00z run, hints of a NW flow later on in the cycle....That + Cheshire Gap effect = snow for me!