Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia And South East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

I hope I belong in this thread, Meto doesn't have a home for Milton Keynes either!

I have been tracking the band of rain/potential sleet snow coming over from the NE at the moment, I think it is going to be dissapointing and it will just be rain.

Today the max temp in MK was approx 5 degrees and it has now dropped to 4.4 degrees with a dew point of 2.1 degrees, like was mentioned in another post above the temperatures are not dropping away (as many of us would expect).

IMHO we will see rain into the evening from this band and a possible sleety mix at best.

Changing the subject slightly, my sister is getting married on Saturday down in the South East, I wonder if she will have a white wedding?

Doozer

Posted

Hi, very excited about the week ahead here. I hope over the next 10 days we see some snow.

Can I ask a quick question please, for those on here in my area. My temperature guage is recording 5.8C at the moment. I've recently put new batteries in it and had trouble resetting it, so I just wondered if it was recording right or might be on the blink. I need to know it's correct for the current cold spell. 5.8C just seemed too warm, but I'm not a great judge of temps at the best of times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I hope I belong in this thread, Meto doesn't have a home for Milton Keynes either!

I have been tracking the band of rain/potential sleet snow coming over from the NE at the moment, I think it is going to be dissapointing and it will just be rain.

Today the max temp in MK was approx 5 degrees and it has now dropped to 4.4 degrees with a dew point of 2.1 degrees, like was mentioned in another post above the temperatures are not dropping away (as many of us would expect).

IMHO we will see rain into the evening from this band and a possible sleety mix at best.

Changing the subject slightly, my sister is getting married on Saturday down in the South East, I wonder if she will have a white wedding?

Doozer

I would agree here, cold rain/sleet at best tonight - 4oC and dewpoint of 1oC in Ipswich at mo...doubt it fall down too much more. Who knows for some lucky locations though, especially with a bit of height?

Posted

Hi, very excited about the week ahead here. I hope over the next 10 days we see some snow.

Can I ask a quick question please, for those on here in my area. My temperature guage is recording 5.8C at the moment. I've recently put new batteries in it and had trouble resetting it, so I just wondered if it was recording right or might be on the blink. I need to know it's correct for the current cold spell. 5.8C just seemed too warm, but I'm not a great judge of temps at the best of times.

Where is your sensor located? Walled gardens and sheltered spots can alter temp, but if it is located in a clear area with a view of the sky then I would say that is about right!

Posted

I've got 4.9c in Broadwater. We could be in a prime position tommorow morning though! Dont forget the cold uppers will be spreading from the east and the Dews etc will fall away. i expect snow between 5am and 10am in Stevenage

Posted

Its still quite a bit too early to worry about snow on the eastern side.

Anyway the 12z GFS has reduced the snow risk a little bit for tonight as it places the lower dew points further to the SE, which makes sense given the whole lot seems to be a touch further SE then before.

Still I'm out for a while now, no doubt this thread will be full by then!

I'm also paying very close attention now to Saturday-Sunday, front swings down and introduces colder northerly air.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I would agree here, cold rain/sleet at best tonight - 4oC and dewpoint of 1oC in Ipswich at mo...doubt it fall down too much more. Who knows for some lucky locations though, especially with a bit of height?

It seems that the first noticable drop in temperatures will occur tomorrow, so for now we are all lingering in the 3-5 degrees zone, which with all that we expect to experience is positively balmy!!

Oh yes, there is no doubt that rural locations at higher altitudes could well receive something along the lines of wet snow (sounds more exciting than sleet) but it will be a teaser at best.

Doozer

Posted

Where is your sensor located? Walled gardens and sheltered spots can alter temp, but if it is located in a clear area with a view of the sky then I would say that is about right!

It's a garage wall (west wall, so I guess that's east facing) in a very small garden. Nothing covering it.

I've got 4.9c in Broadwater. We could be in a prime position tommorow morning though! Dont forget the cold uppers will be spreading from the east and the Dews etc will fall away. i expect snow between 5am and 10am in Stevenage

Well if you have 4.9C it must be enclosed space that's affecting my temp. Not sure what to do with it.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

imo poor run that gfs and the ukmo , i'm hopeing this wind wont be but a light breeze and a few scattered snow showers!. Because it's slowly heading that way :doh:

Posted

'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Weather' :doh:

post-6667-12608101524074_thumb.jpg

Posted

It's a garage wall (west wall, so I guess that's east facing) in a very small garden. Nothing covering it.

Well if you have 4.9C it must be enclosed space that's affecting my temp. Not sure what to do with it.

My station is showing temp of +1.6c at the moment in Ramsgate ;o) ... and still falling away slowly although im not expecting it to fall much further than 1.

Posted

I have the same problem, my garden is walled and fairly tiny and therefore doesn't make for accurate temperature recordings, plus the front of my house is in a little cul-de-sac so all my weather station does is tell me the temperature inside my living room window as that's where the sensor has lived since february!

According to my weather station, it is currently raining in my living room!

You could try fixing it further up the wall of your house, also, have you searched for nearby weatherstations online?

I use 3 in my area and make my own assumptions based on a number of factors.

Doozer

Posted

Charts show possibly a little snow tomorrow, some snow on Wednesday on A lot of snow on Friday!, then followed by a Northerly, looks good For our part of the country!

Posted

'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Weather' :)

post-6667-12608101524074_thumb.jpg

Robin You Madman - Keep em coming Mate!!!!!!

Will find some funnies tonight after the Nativity Play!!! :doh:

Posted

My station is showing temp of +1.6c at the moment in Ramsgate ;o) ... and still falling away slowly although im not expecting it to fall much further than 1.

I wish it was that cold here. I worry that the temperature won't drop away enough for snow.

I have the same problem, my garden is walled and fairly tiny and therefore doesn't make for accurate temperature recordings, plus the front of my house is in a little cul-de-sac so all my weather station does is tell me the temperature inside my living room window as that's where the sensor has lived since february!

According to my weather station, it is currently raining in my living room!

You could try fixing it further up the wall of your house, also, have you searched for nearby weatherstations online?

I use 3 in my area and make my own assumptions based on a number of factors.

Doozer

Well there are only two that I know of are Clifton Weather Station showing temp of 4.5C and Royston Weather Station which does not update until the following day with max/mins.

Never mind. We have gone down to 5.7C so at least the temp's moved.

I would expect it's is realistically about 5C though at the moment. Certainly not cold enough for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Charts show possibly a little snow tomorrow, some snow on Wednesday on A lot of snow on Friday!, then followed by a Northerly, looks good For our part of the country!

Have you been on the Model discussion page recently? For some reason they look to be committing hari-kari over there. Chilly and dry this week with zonality returning next Monday is the theme according to them :cc_confused:

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted

Have you been on the Model discussion page recently? For some reason they look to be committing hari-kari over there. Chilly and dry this week with zonality returning next Monday is the theme according to them :cc_confused:

To be fair that is one run, I think it is fair to say that we will get the first snow in the country in this cold spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

To be fair that is one run, I think it is fair to say that we will get the first snow in the country in this cold spell

Yeah, I was joking - they've forgotten that there's a dedicated thread fo the rollercoaster riders, those "upgrade...downgrade...upgrade" types.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Just the one UKMO chart at +144hrs that may cause a breakdown, but the low could easily go further South and increase the likely hood of snow. Anyways its in FI (Fantasy Island) and probably change several times again in future chart runs.

Posted

Chilly Milly,

I am hovering at 4.3 degrees so you are not far off!

Have a look at the radar, it could get a little bit warmer ahead of the PPN arriving, just a little anomalie! http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Doozer

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Just the one UKMO chart at +144hrs that may cause a breakdown, but the low could easily go further South and increase the likely hood of snow. Anyways its in FI (Fantasy Island) and probably change several times again in future chart runs.

My feeling is that T+144 is in FI so we are still in a good chance with snow over the next few days