Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Looking at everyones posts the past week or two i was very doubtful that we would see anything, especially from an easterly. Well was i wrong!! I'm in Derry and from saturday night we look to be getting a right pasting of the white stuff and it looks to be last well into next week. Think this will turn out to be something special. How good would it be if it lasted right the way through Christmas? :whistling: :wacko:

Posted

So far on rte and tv3 weather forecast they both said "we will see some wintry showers and possibly a bit of snow showers towards this weekend but largely dry".

Yes, RTE seemed quite dismissive of the whole thing, didn't they. Evelyn Cusack said it'll be a mainly dry week [up to Saturday anyway] with just very occasional wintry showers near the East/NE coast of Ireland. She also gave the impression these would be just of rain or sleet, with snow confined to higher ground only. Rather disappointing.

Perhaps, Ireland, per usual, will miss out on all the fun, while many parts of Britain get pasted. :(

Posted

a balmy 8c here this evening so things would need to cool down considerably. im not convinced the cold easterly airmass will penetrate far enough west for us.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

a balmy 8c here this evening so things would need to cool down considerably. im not convinced the cold easterly airmass will penetrate far enough west for us.

yes but from thrusday a cold mass of arctic air comes down from scotland with -10 850s for here anyway..... then temps drop to 0-1c maxes and tomorrows maxes will be 5-6c in ni..... anyway the temps will drop tonight its not going to be 8c all night well i certinally hope not!!!!!

Posted

yes but from thrusday a cold mass of arctic air comes down from scotland with -10 850s for here anyway..... then temps drop to 0-1c maxes and tomorrows maxes will be 5-6c in ni..... anyway the temps will drop tonight its not going to be 8c all night well i certinally hope not!!!!!

me too!. need the ground to cool down more so that if anything wintry does fall it will stay longer. problem is, the bbc weather last week had the temps down to just 4c for today and we had double that. cold seems to get pushed back all the time.

Posted

me too!. need the ground to cool down more so that if anything wintry does fall it will stay longer. problem is, the bbc weather last week had the temps down to just 4c for today and we had double that. cold seems to get pushed back all the time.

yea i have a funny feeling this will be pushed back or downgraded tomorrow, one thing i noticed is glasgow was 2c maxes today and the rest of scotland was 9c like here hmmmmmm what happened there????? anyways the temps are forecast to be cold with snow particularly ulster...

Posted

yea i have a funny feeling this will be pushed back or downgraded tomorrow, one thing i noticed is glasgow was 2c maxes today and the rest of scotland was 9c like here hmmmmmm what happened there????? anyways the temps are forecast to be cold with snow particularly ulster...

ive convinced myself that we wont get the easterly in n. ireland but like you say, the northerly could be more potent later in the week

It doesn't look like its gonna last for long, From Friday the 25th it looks like the warmer air will arrive. I think we will have only 1 big snowy day which is this coming Sunday and then some scattered showers after Sunday through out the next week.

that's my guess! and Ive looked a bit on GFS charts

The Irish Met are rarely right

They will begin the ramping in due course, pbly after it has snowed

Trust the pro's on here, most will see snow

I wonder if there will be any warnings at their website any soon...:lol: they always write the approx accumulations of snow to fall around the country

Edited by snowfart

Posted

It doesn't look like its gonna last for long, From Friday the 25th it looks like the warmer air will arrive. I think we will have only 1 big snowy day which is this coming Sunday and then some scattered showers after Sunday through out the next week.

that's my guess! and Ive looked a bit on GFS charts

Given thats its December I would glady take only a week for now and then look for the cold to return in Jan & Feb, think how many years we seen nothing

Posted

cold spell? no cold spell here. a balmy 6.5c. :D

Give things a chance to set in. We had an ice day yesterday and temps are up to 9.5 today. It was always forecast to turn briefly milder. I for one am really looking forward to this weekend. Should be fun if it comes off. We have been let down so many times in the past. My area always does extremely well through these kind of setups :D

Edited by ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Give things a chance to set in. We had an ice day yesterday and temps are up to 9.5 today. It was always forecast to turn briefly milder. I for one am really looking forward to this weekend. Should be fun if it comes off. We have been let down so many times in the past. My area always does extremely well through these kind of setups :D

we do well ourselves from north westerlies, i hope it delivers. :D

Posted

How do you rate our chances in the far south January Snowstorm? I think that we are just too far South and west to be affected by any showers from an easterly or notherly. What are the chances of showers from the warmish atlantic or a trough forming?

Posted

We are still looking to FI for any decent chance of snow and ppl need to remember how much further West we are when reading posts here. It looks cold but not much else at the minute imo

Posted

The Irish Met are rarely right

They will begin the ramping in due course, pbly after it has snowed

Trust the pro's on here, most will see snow

I wouldn't really agree. They're often right. Ireland won't be affected as much as Britain by this cold spell. We very seldom are.

I also think there is a downgrade happening and RTE are picking up on this. The downgrade particularly applies to Ireland. I don't see the cold penetrating Ireland much, with the slight exception of Ulster. :cold:

Posted

I wouldn't really agree. They're often right. Ireland won't be affected as much as Britain by this cold spell. We very seldom are.

I also think there is a downgrade happening and RTE are picking up on this. The downgrade particularly applies to Ireland. I don't see the cold penetrating Ireland much, with the slight exception of Ulster. :drinks:

I would say theres more of a slight chance here in the NW. I'll post the pics next week sure. :yahoo:

Posted

How do you rate our chances in the far south January Snowstorm? I think that we are just too far South and west to be affected by any showers from an easterly or notherly. What are the chances of showers from the warmish atlantic or a trough forming?

I think all of the country will see snow going by current charts, best chance for you between friday and sunday

I would be more amazed if you dont see snow!

Snow is almost impossible for us in the south so you have to realise that we need everything in our favour, which is what is currently showing :-)

I also think there is a downgrade happening and RTE are picking up on this. The downgrade particularly applies to Ireland. I don't see the cold penetrating Ireland much, with the slight exception of Ulster. :drinks:

I would have to disagree with you, but time will tell.

I'm 35 and have seen many many Met Eireann bad calls, but as I say time will tel

Posted

I really can't stand watching the Irish Forecasters. Don't think i've watched one in about 2 years. Metcheck going for 5 days of falling snow here in Derry but that is very very likely to change but one thing i've noticed is that it is consistant with the net weather forecast for my area. Very interesting times ahead and i would love for my wee girl to see her very first white christmas. :yahoo::drinks: