Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Wave Advancing

carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The Austrian Weather Service have issued a cold weather alert. They expect ice days throughout the whole of next week with temperatures down to -20C in some windless snowcovered Alpine valleys. The December record low is -33C back in 1939.They do remark that in the 1960s you could expect similar cold conditions in December every 2 years, however, since the turn of this century, every 5 years. Just shows how cold those Decembers were way back 40 to 50 years ago. I will keep an update during the coming week of how cold it is going to become in Austria,with pictures and stories. Half metre of snowfall expected is some parts.

C

Posted

The Austrian Weather Service have issued a cold weather alert. They expect ice days throughout the whole of next week with temperatures down to -20C in some windless snowcovered Alpine valleys. The December record low is -33C back in 1939.They do remark that in the 1960s you could expect similar cold conditions in December every 2 years, however, since the turn of this century, every 5 years. Just shows how cold those Decembers were way back 40 to 50 years ago. I will keep an update during the coming week of how cold it is going to become in Austria,with pictures and stories. Half metre of snowfall expected is some parts.

C

Interesting. It's always good to keep an eye on winter conditions across the continent (I'm interested in trends, you see).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

C

Hi Carinthian.

Yes looking at those 850 maps you are in for the full on wedge of cold from the North East

With a bit of luck i think in the UK we will get some ice days in a week or so,if the pattern develops as shown recently.

Anyway keep those layers handy and enjoy and keep those posts coming.

Kind regards,Phil

Posted

C

Morning all.

Minus 9C in the village at the moment.Bright with fair amount of shallow clouds. Snow flurries in the wind.

Minus 11C at 2000, thats a max forecast.Gemutlichkeit,as the locals call it, is order of the day,cosy comfortable around the fire .

C

Posted

C

Morning, first of the ice days today at lower levels. Temperature in the village is currently -11C. Weather mostly dry with cloud ceiling at 2200m producing light flurries. That picture is of one of my favourite places in Obertauren. A very good resort , only 30 Km from Katschsberg with 360 degree obital ski-ing. Forecast for some low temperatures with increasing risk of upper atmosphere instablity during the week.

C

post-3489-12607847432171_thumb.jpg

Posted

Morning, first of the ice days today at lower levels. Temperature in the village is currently -11C. Weather mostly dry with cloud ceiling at 2200m producing light flurries. That picture is of one of my favourite places in Obertauren. A very good resort , only 30 Km from Katschsberg with 360 degree obital ski-ing. Forecast for some low temperatures with increasing risk of upper atmosphere instablity during the week.

C

Guten Tag,

10cm of fresh snowfall earlier, clouds now clearing. Very cold low last night of -14C. Current temperature -9C.

The Latest forecast for Christmas period is for much milder conditions with the snow level rising between 1000-2500m

with 20% chance of staying cold. I reckon a 40% of staying cold for you in the UK !

Anyway, what will be , will be be. Enjoy when it comes.

C

post-3489-12609644516467_thumb.jpg

Posted

Guten Tag,

10cm of fresh snowfall earlier, clouds now clearing. Very cold low last night of -14C. Current temperature -9C.

The Latest forecast for Christmas period is for much milder conditions with the snow level rising between 1000-2500m

with 20% chance of staying cold. I reckon a 40% of staying cold for you in the UK !

Anyway, what will be , will be be. Enjoy when it comes.

C

Morning all, temperature down to -18C last night.

C

Posted

Hello,

Clear blue sky today. Russian air mass truly over the country today. Reached a max of -11C today.

Temperature of -24C recorded last night in the East Tirol ( St Jakob) currently -20C now !

Some of the coldest December nights for 60 years could go tonight.

C

Edited by carinthian