Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Barlett High

Posted

Hi- I was just wondering what a Barlett High is?

when i look in the Model output discussion and sometimes people are saying about a Barlett high being bad in winter or something like that.

I was just why is it not good in winter and what it is? Also just wondering what weather it brings?

Sorry if there's already been a topic on this.

Because of my age im still learning very quickly and am wanting to be a Meteorologist so much when i am older, there are so many things i dont understand and feel that Net Weather will help me alot rolleyes.gif

Thankyou Ryan biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

my understanding of the bartlett high is that is when the azores high gets displaced in winter north east across spain and the bay of bsicay into france and much of the western med.. this causes most of north west europe to suffer from long periods of mild to very mild south westerly winds with little in the way of cold and not mcuh if any snow or frost. These areas of high pressure can be very stubborn to move and can last for weeks at a time and have a habit of reforming one after another during mild winters as the jet becomes locked into the same pattern...often common when there is a + NAO AND +AO and also when there is a strong El nino event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think this is one, from the christmas pudding, I got 15°C on this day

www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040204.gif

not what I wanna see but at least its normally dry down here, much better than the setup from thurs this week

Posted

Thankyourolleyes.gif

also thankyou for showing that chart, because now i know what they look like on the charts.

Im not very good with understanding charts but still enjoy looking at the model output because its helping me learn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi LB... :lol:

It's refreshing to see so many young people having an interest in the weather...May I suggest that you get involved in the Model threads? Ask as many questions as you like, there are many experienced peeps contributing, and you'd learn a lot. I have! :lol:

Posted

I think this is one, from the christmas pudding, I got 15°C on this day

not what I wanna see but at least its normally dry down here, much better than the setup from thurs this week

Looking at that chart you would almost think "write off" for the entire month. But I remember a decent dumping of snow in Bristol at the end of Feb 2004. Probably they haven't had one like it until Feb 2009!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, the Bartlett is essentially a displaced Azores High that sits over central/southern Europe. In that setup you usually get a NW-SE split with dry weather in the SE and very wet weather in the NW. Depending on how far north the high gets, it can end up sunny and springlike towards the SE (as in February 1998) or it can be dull and damp almost everywhere (e.g. February 1980).

In the Bartlett scenario the British Isles usually ends up under a broad "warm sector" of tropical maritime air for most of the time, while any polar maritime air tends to be short lived and produces limited shower activity because of the high pressure that invariably builds to the SE.

Posted

I think this is one, from the modern era, I got 15°C on this day

Thats a good example. The first 7 days of February 2004 had mean of 11.0C here, thats 6.1C above average!

The running mean in the CET zone was 10.1C for the same period.

Posted

This is one of the best (worst if you like snow!) examples: 1030mb+ from west of the Azores all the way to Greece; with deep lows around Iceland/Greenland to boot. Truly a nightmare chart for Uk winter weather lovers.

post-3898-12601301499303_thumb.gif