Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nw Severe Flooding Thread - 19Th Nov Onwards.

Lewis

Posted

This is frightening and i hope everyone stays safe, at the moment it's reported over 200MM has fallen in the Keswick/Cockermouth area.

Articles;

This is very serious everyone stay indoors and do not go out if your in the affected areas;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8366360.stm

This thread is to discuss the current flooding situation, if your in a life threatening/dangerous situation in these affected areas, please do not put yourself at risk to get pictures and give information.

Below is videos of the flooding earlier;

- Cockermouth flooding on top of someones house

- Cockermouth flooding highstreet

If you dont have Sky News or satelite I'm streaming it live now so you can stay updated to the latest news; http://www.weatherinhull.com/live.html

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

The pictures on Sky are pretty stark. Cockermouth is looking especially bad, but Sky reporting an increasingly difficult situation in Egremont too.

Next big issue will be high tide around 1am. Fortunately the wind has dropped so that might help keep tides down, but it's still progged to be a 7.6m tide at Workington.

EA reporting that river levels are stabilising in Carlisle and Kendal, but not yet in Cockermouth or Keswick. If they've not stabilised yet, then they wont for at least three or four hours because of tide lock.

BBC Radio Cumbria on BBC Liveplayer

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

we have been battered today in cumbria, gales and flooding rains the wind has eased now, but the rain is still falling im lucky i live in a elevated postition, my thoughts are with those people who are now being evacuated 8 miles away in cockermouth in darkness as the power has been lost there.

no let up in sight yet as the radars show more rainfall on the conveyorbelt of cloud.

most roads affected in one way and many are cut off, it is worse than january 2005 for the water levels, shocking scenes no doubt at dawn tomorrow.

anyone interested in listening to the updates form local radio cumbria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cumbria/hi/tv_and_radio/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I know this is neither the time nor the place, but I feel compelled to nonetheless - who are these absolute morons who are getting stuck in flooded waters?? Warnings have been out advising for over 24 hours the risk of dangerous flooding conditions, yet people go out anyway, driving...reminds me of the people who got stuck out in the SW and the huge army operations required to get the cars out of the drifting snow.

Unless absolutely necessary, do not travel. You getting stuck puts not only yours and your passengers lives at risk, but so too the emergency servicemen, all because of certain idiots who don't listen!

By all means protect your loved ones, protect your property - stay safe! Do not venture out unless absolutely necessary means JUST that.

Best of luck to all.

Posted

The pictures on Sky are pretty stark. Cockermouth is looking especially bad, but Sky reporting an increasingly difficult situation in Egremont too.

Next big issue will be high tide around 1am. Fortunately the wind has dropped so that might help keep tides down, but it's still progged to be a 7.6m tide at Workington.

EA reporting that river levels are stabilising in Carlisle and Kendal, but not yet in Cockermouth or Keswick. If they've not stabilised yet, then they wont for at least three or four hours because of tide lock.

There are reports that the river caldew is now on flood warning and there is no waterfall left.

Posted

we have been battered today in cumbria, gales and flooding rains the wind has eased now, but the rain is still falling im lucky i live in a elevated postition, my thoughts are with those people who are now being evacuated 8 miles away in cockermouth in darkness as the power has been lost there.

no let up in sight yet as the radars show more rainfall on the conveyorbelt of cloud.

most roads affected in one way and many are cut off, it is worse than january 2005 for the water levels, shocking scenes no doubt at dawn tomorrow.

anyone interested in listening to the updates form local radio cumbria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cumbria/hi/tv_and_radio/

your lucky James...its over a thousand people now evacuated from there homes in Cumbria..

Times like these its worth living on a hill

Posted

There are reports that the river caldew is now on flood warning and there is no waterfall left.

It is Thunder Snow. It went onto flood warning status about an hour ago.

Posted

Not so bad to the east of the Lakes. 61mm since midnight and The Eden has coped fine since bursting its banks yesterday. The roads are dreadful though and depending on what happens overnight, the Eden could easily rise again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Are we looking at water levels and power that might sweep bridges, roads and buildings away?

The flooding we had in Durham in July (worst I've ever seen) saw large riverbank collapses, large trees felled and that so called Grand Canyon. But the situation in Cumbria seems like another level again.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

your lucky James...its over a thousand people now evacuated from there homes in Cumbria..

Times like these its worth living on a hill

Just had a look at the latest 18z gfs and also had a little looksie into the NMM models. I must say conditions are not going to improve, other than a slight respite for an hour, before more heavier pules push in off the Irish Sea.

1Z tomorrow morning;

post-2644-12586733502748_thumb.png

Winds also starting to pick up again about now, with some fairly hefty gusts possible which may not help with the high tides, i'm not sure of the high tide time but if its anywhere in the next 6 hours, it's not looking good;

post-2644-12586734348181_thumb.png

3am 18Z precipitation chart clearly outlines the heaviest bursts which is clearly visible on a lower resolution.

post-2644-12586735363927_thumb.png

Will keep you posted

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

BBC weather guy didnt looked to happy about Saturday's weather for Cumbria..

More heavy rain..

Just heard there are a few other rescue's going on in different places.

Cocker,Derwont have burst there banks...

edit Hereford weather...Sky news are mentioning North Wales I think for possible floods also

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Not so bad to the east of the Lakes. 61mm since midnight and The Eden has coped fine since bursting its banks yesterday. The roads are dreadful though and depending on what happens overnight, the Eden could easily rise again.

how much more would it take OON? looks like there is quite a bit to still come judging by the radar

Posted

Just had a look at the latest 18z gfs and also had a little looksie into the NMM models. I must say conditions are not going to improve, other than a slight respite for an hour, before more heavier pules push in off the Irish Sea.

1Z tomorrow morning;

post-2644-12586733502748_thumb.png

Winds also starting to pick up again about now, with some fairly hefty gusts possible which may not help with the high tides, i'm not sure of the high tide time but if its anywhere in the next 6 hours, it's not looking good;

post-2644-12586734348181_thumb.png

3am 18Z precipitation chart clearly outlines the heaviest bursts which is clearly visible on a lower resolution.

post-2644-12586735363927_thumb.png

Will keep you posted

Lewis

High tide at Workington is around 90 minutes time - if the wind is really picking up that's not good news.

Posted

Am I also right in thinking Wales could start having severe flooding problems as 40-50mm is expected to fall within the next few hours onto already satured ground and bank high rivers?

I'm afraid looking at the current charts, it appears as if that will happen as this band has no shift wards each at all. I think it's going to be a bad 2-3 days for the West of the country. Just hope everyone's safe and i really feel sorry for the animals in the fields :(.

Lewis

High tide at Workington is around 90 minutes time - if the wind is really picking up that's not good news.

That's not good, average sustained wind speeds of 35-40mph are expected with gusts in excess of 60mph or more within the next 3 hours.

Lewis

Posted

The only thing I can think of is that upstream of Appleby, the rain hasn't been so intense as previous days, because normally, with 90mm of rain over 24 hours, it would have burst its banks...like it did yesterday.

Posted

why are there 200 people trapped when there as been many warning's

some of the water is as high as a average door.

And deeper in other parts..

old guy saying its worse than the 30's

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Sky news now reporting rescue centre opening in Workington as situation is deteriorating there.

On a lighter note, you've got to admire the sense of humour of the Presenter on BBC Radio cumbia - so far he's played 'Old Man River', 'Walking on Sunshine' and 'A Night To Remember'.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Sky news now reporting rescue centre opening in Workington as situation is deteriorating there.

On a lighter note, you've got to admire the sense of humour of the Presenter on BBC Radio cumbia - so far he's played 'Old Man River', 'Walking on Sunshine' and 'A Night To Remember'.

thats my sense of humour :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Least there's not a widespread powercut. That would make a dire situation even more dire. Not saying it won't happen as the next 5 or so days will be hell and water could easily engulf a substation. Well done them for restoring 600 odd homes in Cockermouth.

There's allot of water still to get to the rivers and if there's more rain coming, then that will mean more water going into the rivers for a few days more.

If the rivers breech the top of a bridge, there's nothing to stop it washing the bridge away. It's allot of force acting on one side of the bridge and I hope it does not happen.

thats my sense of humour :)

Same here though i'd be more of an 'oooooohhhh that hurts' and play Rivers Of Babylon, Seven Tears, Tide Is High and At The River.....there's more...... :):(

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

I've just got back in and they were a lot of people looking over the bridges in Carlisle at the River Eden and I also noticed that they seem to be a gathering of Land Rovers etc outside the castle maybe in case of flooding in the city. It looked like they were on standby maybe in case the River Caldew floods because I don't think the flood defences have been completed for this river. It's still raining here but not very heavy.

The RAF have been called in to help resuce 200 people from the main street in Cockermouth and the water is still rising. High tide not until early hours.

Sky News has live coverage on now from Cockermouth. I wouldn't like to think what its like in the surrounding areas around the town. I only walked down the main street in Cockermouth last week.

Posted

Just been to look at the rivers caldew and Eden and WOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

I bet there will be some flooding when the tide comes in, the caldew sounded like thunder :S

How long will it roughly take for the tide waters to effect the rivers?

Edited by Thunder Snow