Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Series Of Tornados/waterspouts Affecting The River Hull!

Lewis

Posted

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Severe-weather-slowing-traffic-M62/article-1524842-detail/article.html

I dont believe it, please can Paul Sherman or other people look at charts etc and see if this was actually possible? It happened between 7-8am this morning.

Quoting the article

"The severe weather has also led to reported sightings of a series of mini tornadoes travelling up the River Humber between 7am and 8am this morning."

Lewis

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Hi Lewis

Have had a look at the Radar sequence between 7am and 8am and cannot see anything to be honest, either the local rag is quick off the mark or something does not add up, they posted that story at 750am, if you run the radar there is no precip over the Humber until 730am, the leading (Southern edge) of the rain band (Mainly dynamic) non convective starts to overspread the western edge of the River Humber at about 730am, best to see if any pics or eyewitness reports come in for this event.

Paul S

Posted

Hi Lewis

Have had a look at the Radar sequence between 7am and 8am and cannot see anything to be honest, either the local rag is quick off the mark or something does not add up, they posted that story at 750am, if you run the radar there is no precip over the Humber until 730am, the leading (Southern edge) of the rain band (Mainly dynamic) non convective starts to overspread the western edge of the River Humber at about 730am, best to see if any pics or eyewitness reports come in for this event.

Paul S

yeah i noticed that, although Hull Daily Mail tend to be lazy buggers.

Its clear what they have done, they have written the article/story about the wind and rain on the M62, and when they have had a report later, they just edited that article and posted it.

I'll keep you posted

thanks

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I wonder if it was just heavy bands of rain made to swirl by the strong winds giving the wrong impression.

Posted

I wonder if it was just heavy bands of rain made to swirl by the strong winds giving the wrong impression.

Certainly possible,

My highest gust this morning at around that time was a little over 35mph.

lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Severe-weather-slowing-traffic-M62/article-1524842-detail/article.html

I dont believe it, please can Paul Sherman or other people look at charts etc and see if this was actually possible? It happened between 7-8am this morning.

Quoting the article

"The severe weather has also led to reported sightings of a series of mini tornadoes travelling up the River Humber between 7am and 8am this morning."

Lewis

Thanks in advance.

that little word-please-might help Lewis??

Aren't we ratty this morning...You mean the word above, Johnholmes?? unless it was added later which would make Lewis a cheeky devil!!

Interesting - look forward to hearing more about this! :crazy:

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

I leave home at 07:10 each morning heading for Doncaster and I ALWAYS keep a weather eye open 'because I am an anorak!

07:30 at South Cave, dry but heavy stratocumulus bank to the SW heading NE. Eventually started raining at the Ouse Bridge for about 5 minutes, this would be about 7:45 it was dry to the east and heavy and overcast to the west. This ties in nicely with John Holmes' radar observations.

There were definately NO tornadoes/waterspouts over the Humber at this time, guaranteed. However, when I passed Thorne and headed for Donny there was a very pronounced line of stratocumulus passing N of Donny towards the Humber. At 08:00 this had a very ragged base with one very pronounced lowering. I watched this for a while but it was just that, a lowering: saturated air being pushed upwards into the clouds by the cold air descending with the rain. It was not rotating and lasted about 10 minutes, then it was gone.

The banks of stratocumulus around at the time were very reminiscent of those that can produce needle funnels (I have seen a number of these in this area over the last few years) and, looking at a band to the SE over Lincs as I crossed the Ouse Bridge they did extend to the Stratosphere as they were flat-topped and composed of Cbs, although when you are under them and the sky is cloudy you cannot tell this.

To cut a long story short, there were definately NO funnels over the Humber at the times quoted, however, it is possible that there might have been some needle funnels over the estuary afer 08:00 as this bank of cloud moved NEward. Unlikely but possible....

Hope this helps Lewis.

Muffelchen