Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Weather Memories Bad Or Good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The best winter memories are definately the time when you couldn`t get to school so,heres 2 I remember from the 70`s

1977/78 Freezing rain during the night ice everywhere next day,remember that so vividly,could not go in a car,anywhere :cc_confused: That was on the news and weather,showed a area where was affected in red I think it was,but when it was exactly by date would be very interesting.

1979 when I was in school heaviest snow I`ve known falling/lying when I was on low ground,so was called back home as there was drifting/blizzards,drifting on the school yard until stopped later in the day,too damp.

The 80`s was even better. <_<

19th November 1996, the legendary one only time ive been sent home, some teachers stranded, not talked about on here that spell

Posted

19th November 1996, the legendary one only time ive been sent home, some teachers stranded, not talked about on here that spell

Funnily enough I would put that as the best november mermory,because it gave the heaviest nov snowfall along with a blizzard 7inches on the 19th the biggest november drifts I`ve seen by far :) ,which there was a slight thaw 20th,but 1 extra inch next day then the drifts kept refreezing,walking on top each evening,and from the east they were lined from.

November of the 80`s didn`t give anything quite like that,snowfall yes but not much drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

another very good cold snowy spell was 28th Jan - 6th Feb 2003, Arctic air set in, snow from west on 31st Jan, then loads of snow from cheshire gap on 3rd-5th feb, northerly then toppled on thursday 6th feb

30th Jan 03

4th Feb 03

I think 02-03 was a very good winter (well modern standards) although Xmas was mild

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

I have a few from the balmy south coast some are a little fuzzy although the one the longest time ago is as clear as day.

January of 1981 (maybe a year out here though). Sent home from school on more than one occasion.

Pre-Xmas '84 and early Jan '85. Good memories of frequent heavy snow.

Mid(ish) Jan 1987. Doing donuts around the local carparks covered with snow and ice. It got soooo cold on a couple of those days.

The 5th of Match this year, completely unexpected. So bad (well, good) that I was unable to leave Weymouth until midday, all routes out were blocked.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090305.gif

But only one can win out. The incredible once-in-a-lifetime freak night of February 18th 1978.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1978/Rrea00119780219.gif

MC Wesather who posts on here wrote a great book on the events of mid february 1978, well worth a read especially if you live locally or can remember any of it. http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/articles/ArticlesDetail.asp?ID=671

Edited by s4lancia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The best winter memories are definately the time when you couldn`t get to school so,heres 2 I remember from the 70`s

1977/78 Freezing rain during the night ice everywhere next day,remember that so vividly,could not go in a car,anywhere biggrin.gif That was on the news and weather,showed a area where was affected in red I think it was,but when it was exactly by date would be very interesting.

1979 when I was in school heaviest snow I`ve known falling/lying when I was on low ground,so was called back home as there was drifting/blizzards,drifting on the school yard until stopped later in the day,too damp.

The 80`s was even better. biggrin.gif

being a child of the christmas pudding, I can only recall two snow days off school vividly, both within the space of a week on Wednesday 23rd February and Tuesday the 1st of March. I'm certain we would've been off on the 12th March 2006 had it not been a Sunday. I also believe both the 8th of February 2007 and the 12th of February this year would've been a snow day had it not been for both events coinciding with school in-service days! The 'even larger teapot' has an annoying (from a personal point of view) tendency of bringing snow events to eastern Scotland on days when we would not be in school anyway!

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

I remember one event in the 70s being sent home from school, not actually alot of snow but I recall the size of the flakes fluttering past the condensation-covered windows (funny the things you redcall!)

Then in the 80s (Jan85 I think, possibly Jan87) a major easterly convective snow event, hit in the mid afternoon, covered the roads very quick, my class had PE (cancelled of course) the last two classes of the afternoon, so we got out early, the bus got me home, just. People who had to leave school at 4 had to walk, traffic jammed up all the way, cars abandoned.

Meanwhile I spent a brilliant afternoon and evening watching the snow fall. Tragically, the following night/morning brought one of the worst "near and yet so far" events that are typical here on the coast (or WERE typical, now we dont even get near! :wallbash: ) - a depression moved in from the south, initially bringing blizzards on top of the lying few inches of snow, could have been the greatest event in my lifetime (matching or better than Jan'82), but the temperature rose 2 degress and it turned to sleet and then to rain the next morning. Why, oh why could it not have at least waited a day longer!

Posted

But only one can win out. The incredible once-in-a-lifetime freak night of February 18th 1978.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1978/Rrea00119780219.gif

MC Wesather who posts on here wrote a great book on the events of mid february 1978, well worth a read especially if you live locally or can remember any of it. http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/articles/ArticlesDetail.asp?ID=671

That was very solid cold spell,would`nt say no to seeing something like that again,just to twig my memory.

Rrea00119780209.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

You live not too far from me... I got over a foot of snow in Feb this year! did you not get that? sad.gif

Just goes to show how bad the N-West does for Snow and when snow is forecast how one

Location can receive more than others for example you got over a foot in Feb i got no more

Than 1cm and that was hard work LOL and my town is about 10 miles at the most from yours

C.S