Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAF

Fireworks, What Is Your Preference

38 members have voted

1. 1. do you go to public displays?

2. 2. do you have a display at home?

3. 3. should fireworks be banned?

4. 4. do you like fireworks?

5. 5. are fireworks a waste of money

time for a poll :lol:

do you like fireworks?

would you go to a display or have a firework display at home?

should fireworks be banned and just have public diplays?

what are your opinions :lol:

do you like fireworks? ..... Only when used properly not when the little sods decide they are going to fire them down the street or in the park at all times of the day.

would you go to a display or have a firework display at home? I prefer a display, better value for money and a damn site better display

should fireworks be banned and just have public diplays? difficult this one but if I had to give an answer I would say yes, only have them at displays.

I adore fireworks, the bigger and louder the better; a dream come true would have been to be in Sydney for the millennium celebrations.

I wouldn't want them banned, that would be yet another example of the minority spoiling it for everyone else; clamp down on, and punish those who are a nuisance with fireworks but leave responsible people to manage their own lives.

We go to an organised display on bonfire night and then have a fireworks party on the nearest Saturday with the neighbours.

The sale of fireworks needs to be strictly controlled and they are a waste of money... but they look so pretty!(Except sparklers... they're just evil... EVIL... and should be banned.)

Love them, especially multi-shot barrages that sound like machine guns - the louder the better! :)

I don't do my own fireworks displays (though my parents had a few when I was very young). Nowadays I prefer to watch other people's displays. The best individual displays are the organised ones, but when I have a good "vantage point", the sum total of personal displays around an urban area can be just as good.

Regarding a ban on fireworks, the fact is, if you differentiate the idiots from the responsible majority and clamp down on the former, you'll be able to eliminate a lot of the risk, but you won't always be able to eliminate all of it. However, trying to eliminate all risk runs into a law of diminishing returns. Particularly given that prohibition is likely to drive the problem underground, we'd have to be very draconian about it to have a hope of cutting out abuse of explosives altogether- it's highly unlikely to be worth it. We need objective comparison of these policies, rather than circular logic along the lines "blanket prohibition is a necessary evil, whereas other policies don't work because they aren't flawless, and in any case we know that they don't work, because blanket prohibition is a necessary evil".

I do believe, though, that personal fireworks displays can get tiresome when they occur outside of the usual times of the year (chiefly early November and New Year) so I would not be against restricting them outside of the usual times of the year.

well since the law changed a few years back, there seems to be more control of fireworks. but as Louby says, the idiots who misuse and abuse fireworks spoil it for others.

having said that, as a kid we had no fear of fireworks and would do some silly things with them. nothing to hurt or offend other people. more a case of trying to make them bigger and louder. :whistling:

from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/FireSafety/DG_064665

Fireworks and the law

There are laws about when fireworks can be sold, and to who – as well as the times fireworks can be set off.

If you are under 18 years of age

If you are under 18, you can't:

• buy the types of fireworks which can be sold only to adults
  • have fireworks in public places
If you do, the police can give you an on-the-spot fine of £80.
Using fireworks legally
It is against the law to:
  • set off or throw fireworks in the street or other public place
  • set off fireworks between 11.00 pm and 7.00 am – except during certain celebrations

If found guilty by the courts, you could be fined up to £5,000 and can be imprisoned for up to six months. You may be liable for an on-the-spot fine of £80.

When you can use fireworks during celebrations

You can let off fireworks :

• until midnight on Bonfire Night
  • until 1.00 am on New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year

When fireworks are available to buy

Fireworks for private use, and from a registered seller, can only be sold:

• between 15 October and 10 November – around Bonfire Night
  • between 26 December and 31 December – for New Year’s Eve
  • three days before Diwali and Chinese New Year

For the rest of the year, you will only be able to buy fireworks from shops that are licensed to supply them.

If you think a shop is unregistered, or selling fireworks when they shouldn’t, contact your council’s Trading Standards Officer. Your council will also have a list of registered sellers.

My parents are buying ours this year from a warehouse in Manchester, they come around and offer you champaigne for free, and offer free displays every hour!

We used to have our own every year but the last few Bonfire nights we have not.

What are you guys doing? Display? Own? Nothing at all?

We go to a display at Mini-raven's school every year (the 4th Nov this year - thankfully looking a lot dryer than the 5th in the SE!), which we always look forward to. Then we have our own display in the garden, usually the weekend after the 5th. Good to see there are no firework shops springing up around this area this year (usually selling fireworks from Mid Sept till New Year) and that the supermarkets aren't actually selling theirs till the 4th. Haven't had any problems with fireworks what so ever so far, and long may it continue!

I wonder how many times those laws have been enforced? I bet they could be counted on two hands. I agree with the laws but it's just another case of unenforcable legislation.

All organised displays should be on the 5th, and 5th only! ive known some on 6th,7th, even as late as the 8th, and as early as halloween!

HI There,

I hate fireworks,they terrify both wild and domestic animals,the smoke from them and stupid bonfires add to pollution and spoil the night sky.When the fire brigade attempt to put out dangerous fires their often pelted with rocks by both kids and lager louts.Personally I dont see what people see in them they oooh and aahh like idiots .While I might be mildly impressed by the first two or three I tend to wander off a bit bored with it.

Regards Les.

HI There,

I hate fireworks,they terrify both wild and domestic animals,the smoke from them and stupid bonfires add to pollution and spoil the night sky.When the fire brigade attempt to put out dangerous fires their often pelted with rocks by both kids and lager louts.Personally I dont see what people see in them they oooh and aahh like idiots .While I might be mildly impressed by the first two or three I tend to wander off a bit bored with it.

Regards Les.

I agree entirely, I have very scared dogs and 2 ponies frightened rotten in the field. I don't disagree with organised firework displays or where they do not impact on others. I think those who do it in towns or when there is animals nearby are retarded self centred individuals.

All organised displays should be on the 5th, and 5th only! ive known some on 6th,7th, even as late as the 8th, and as early as halloween!

And on New Years Eve aswell!

High pressure,

Thanks for the supportblum.gif ,but Im sure someone will accuse us of being wet blankets!

Regards Les.

My favourites are the ones which get wet in the box and completely fail to light. And to think I used to make the damn things when I was younger.... once made one with a paint tin and about 10Kg of plaster,plus my own secret recipe explosive which was more like cordite than gunpowder. Ah,how age changes one. I must add that such devices were always detonated out in the middle of nowhere - was always a good boy who just happened to have a passing obsession with pyrotechnics!

Personally I dont see what people see in them they oooh and aahh like idiots
I think those who do it in towns or when there is animals nearby are retarded self centred individuals.

I've been described as some things in my time, but they are possibly two of the least flattering descriptions I've ever read.

Thanks.

You can't beat a good banger :unsure:

Fireworks in towns have both negative and positive impacts. Particularly around midnight as New Year's Eve turns into New Year's Day, some of the personal displays are quite spectacular and vastly outnumber any organised displays. Bonfire Night is often less spectacular as many people prefer to let off their fireworks on the following weekend (I'm quite looking forward to watching some displays from UEA this Saturday).

What often annoys me is the way many people who don't like something (not just fireworks) tend to think it's useless and support any prohibitive measures on it, as long as the prohibition will not directly affect them. There is precious little consideration of those whose opinions differ for fully legitimate reasons (see the name-calling above for example). This is a contributory factor in why so many things are getting banned in the name of health and safety these days- most people will support a ban unless it concerns something that they personally value.

I personally don't see the attraction in rugby, cricket or knitting, but other people do, and that's something we can reasonably call a fact of life- different people see attraction in different things. Something we could all do with recognising.

I wonder how many times those laws have been enforced? I bet they could be counted on two hands. I agree with the laws but it's just another case of unenforcable legislation.

A good point- which raises another question, how easy would a total ban on fireworks be to enforce? "Not very" rather suggests itself...

I personally don't see the attraction in rugby, cricket or knitting, but other people do, and that's something we can reasonably call a fact of life- different people see attraction in different things. Something we could all do with recognising.

If you had a mind to,you could navigate life and totally avoid rugby,cricket,knitting and a million other annoyances - fireworks,like antisocial behaviour,are something that is thrust upon you and you have no choice but to endure. Me? I'd ban everything,then we'd all be happybiggrin.gif !

They should only be forced upon people a week either side of Bonfire Night and on New Year's Eve/Day- hardly a large proportion of the year. Other personal fireworks displays are, for the most part, breaking the law (and, if widespread, puts serious question marks over how effective a law banning them altogether would be).

Some people who hate football feel that it, like anti-social behaviour, is thrust upon them at every opportunity. (I was one of them in my early childhood, before accidentally getting FIFA 2000 in the post, of all things, changed that completely).

Fireworks themselves don't really bother me. They would bother me even less, if 'bonfire night' didn't stretch to six-months' either side of the day! :cold:

HI There,

Regards Les.

I completley disagree, my next door neighbours have dogs but that isn't going to stop us from lighting fireworks. I really don't see how they spoil the night sky, quite the opposite.