Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backtrack

Halloween!

The spooky time of the year is almost nigh!

You guys doing anything interesting? I think i'm going Apple Jacks :(

Halloween is just a crappy American import. But I am going to a "Halloween" party on Tuesday (which has very little to do with Halloween whatsoever!).

We've got a Haloween party for Toddler SB1 with a few of her friends.

Nothing like scarring the crap out of 2 year olds :(

Halloween is increasing in importance year by year. You see more Halloween stuff in the shops than 20 years ago, there are more parties etc.

Notable around here, the lack of fireworks going off, probably a combination of tighter laws and the economic climate.

We've got a Haloween party for Toddler SB1 with a few of her friends.

Nothing like scarring the crap out of 2 year olds :(

Joy! :(

Halloween is increasing in importance year by year. You see more Halloween stuff in the shops than 20 years ago, there are more parties etc.

Notable around here, the lack of fireworks going off, probably a combination of tighter laws and the economic climate.

Card shops have been selling Halloween stuff for years too.

Halloween is just a crappy American import.

I think Halloween actually originated in the British Isles.....? We took it with us over to the colonies and they are returning the Americanisation version of it.

I have noticed that, they are usually going off left, right and centre by now.

Oh and I mean the traditions that come with it (trick or treating) are mainly American I believe?

I have noticed that, they are usually going off left, right and centre by now.

Oh and I mean the traditions that come with it (trick or treating) are mainly American I believe?

Trick or treating are American. Halloween is American too I think.

Hallow'een would be completely ignored here,were it not for the fact that it is the missus' birthday. Which kinda justifies my assertion that she can be a real witch,at times.

Halloween (also spelled Hallowe'en) is an annual holiday celebrated on October 31. It has roots in the Celtic festival of Samhain and the Christian holy day of All Saints. It is largely a secular celebration but some have expressed strong feelings about perceived religious overtones. Irish immigrants carried versions of the tradition to North America during Ireland's Great Famine of the 1840s

en.wikipedia.org

It'll be lights off, locks on for me... :diablo:

Anyone banging on my door wont need a scary skeleton costume..... I'll give 'em something scary all right, door bell wired directly into the mains with no earthing point, ...*cue evil laughter*

I'm going for a night out in the glorious city of Norwich. I shall be going as a normal person, which I'm sure will scare the hell out of the locals.

I hate the Trick or Treaters, I prefer it when they try sing songs.....if I get Tricked I shall be standing at the window with a BB Gun, shooting the blighters.

The spooky time of the year is almost nigh!

You guys doing anything interesting? I think i'm going Apple Jacks whistling.gif

apparently i dont need to don a mask to scare the kiddies (so my daughters reckon) :)

personally i hate Hallow'een. i see no reason why children go round knocking on peoples doors at just the time most people are either sitting to eat an evening meal, or settling down for the evening. to be closely follwed by the alcohol induced teenagers who think its funny to be abusive and generally obnoxious.

as you can see, my "bah humbug" mood starts to kick in this time of year :)

i notice most police authorities support a "no trick or treat" campaign for those who do not wish people to knock on their door. i shall be putting a poster on my Mum's door (aged 80)

example :-

http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/Library/Images/Press_Release_Pics/NoTrickOrTreat.jpg

I loved Halloween when I was little, my dad used to tell us ghost stories. Me, my sister and brother would run round the garden dressed up as witches and vampires and frighten the life out of each other with our fisher price torches, the ones that had red and green filters, super spooky!

We were never allowed to go trick or treating and I understand why now, it is a shame that children see it as a chance to beg and never seem satisfied or grateful for what they are given.

Halloween was fantastic, my imagination used to run riot, with a full moon making it even more spooky!

Trick or treating are American. Halloween is American too I think.

Halloween is NOT an American invention as this link shows... history of halloween

My sons go trick or treating, but they only knock at houses with Halloween decorations on display and have never actually tricked anyone yet. Our neighbours are a friendly bunch though and enjoy seeing the children have fun.

I usually put on my witches hat and frighten the little ones that knock at our house.

I am strongly against trick-or-treating, but I don't have anything against the other aspects of Halloween- to my mind it's similar to the way many people enjoy horror films and the like and is mostly harmless fun.

I am strongly against trick-or-treating, but I don't have anything against the other aspects of Halloween- to my mind it's similar to the way many people enjoy horror films and the like and is mostly harmless fun.

Feel exactly the same,TWS. The missus and me had a heated argument about this the other day. She wants to take our 7 year-old trick or treating but I'm having none of it,then went on to explain that most of the recipients might put a jolly face on when they open the door,but really they want administer physical violence on these morons. Ok it's not the kid's fault but I can't for the life of me work out why adults promote this horrendous practise. This,of course has rendered me a killjoy,but I ain't giving in. Unbeknowingly,some people will be eternally grateful for it. Damn,it's her birthday as well!! Hallowe'en won't be much fun at chez LG!

Excuse me, LaserGuy, but are you calling my sons and I morons?

I'm sure there are plenty of irresponsible people out there who knock on doors randomly, but there are also many responsible families who go trick or treating together and only knock at houses where it's clear they are welcome (with decorations etc).

I wish people would be a little more careful making generalisations.

We (I mean the ex-wife :lol: ) used to take the kids out 'guising', which is more closely related to the old Celtic Samhain festival - even I made chocolate brownies.

But, that is a far-cry from the ghastly money-making Americanism that is Trick or Treat...

God Bless America! :lol:

Excuse me, LaserGuy, but are you calling my sons and I morons?

I'm sure there are plenty of irresponsible people out there who knock on doors randomly, but there are also many responsible families who go trick or treating together and only knock at houses where it's clear they are welcome (with decorations etc).

I wish people would be a little more careful making generalisations.

In that case - no problem - they ask for it!

MUHAHAHAHA Halloween tomorrow. :)

I am actually excited about Halloween, its my favourite time of year what with Guy Fawkes Night too! It's a chance for me to act like a big kid! Excellent!