Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bottesford

Clock Moving Time

That time of year again when people start ask why we don't follow Euro time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8321809.stm

This time, to appease the Scots, a suggestion is made to leave them on GMT whilst the rest of the UK follows Europe.

I agree - at least about the following Euro time as it really makes a lot more sense for a majority of people.

Will we have another experiment like what was done in the 70s? i.e. sticking to BST all year.

Why should we move to European Time?

If there are advantages to the UK having midday at 13.00z etc then surely the same must apply to all other countries in the world? How come it is only the English who want to shift a time zone to the east and not the Germans? How come the Americans don't all want to shift one time zone east?

I fail to see any reason at all why we can't keep to normal time all year round. I hate it in spring when I lose an hour of daylight :rolleyes:

Can't say I notice loosing an hour of daylight in spring - in fact it feels we've gained one as sunset suddenly jumps an hour later! It's this clock move that feels like a loss as it's now dark before I leave work.

Problem is society doesn't work with 12 noon being the middle of the day (I'd say 4pm is closer to the middle of my day - i.e. furthest from sleeping time) so running on GMT all year would require a shift in working patterns & society's living patterns. Like 6pm - the time you would call the end of the working day into early dinner time - would need to move to 4pm. It won't happen!

As far as I can see, the only real argument for it is the road safety issue of children coming home when it's slightly lighter, but I wonder if that's not an arument put forward by people who want to change the clocks, as opposed to a real reason for doing so.

No matter what you do, the amount of daylight isn't going to change, and listening to some people on the radio recently, it seems some fail to grasp that.

Have to say I can't wait till Monday. At the moment I'm only waking around 7.00 local time - so get up straight away. Come Monday I can have a half hour lie in and still be up at 6.30 giving me an extra half hour of usuable time in the day :)

Sadly that only lasts a few weeks ......

maybe we should shift the clocks every month so it's always daylight at 6.00? :D

As far as I can see, the only real argument for it is the road safety issue of children coming home when it's slightly lighter, but I wonder if that's not an arument put forward by people who want to change the clocks, as opposed to a real reason for doing so.

I've never understood that argument.

Schools usually finish about 3.30 - so most children who walk/cycle will be home by 4.00 (I'm assuming those living more than a couple of mile from school will get a bus) and even in mid winter it's only then getting dark in the south. Meanwhile roads are quiet that time because the evening rush hour doesn't start for at least another hour.

However, children do go to school in the morning during the rush hour. Surely therefore it's better to go to school in daylight? Bearing in mind that psychologically people do not waken properly until it's daylight?

Yes it's true - the afternoon rush hour is more spread out so I can see it is probably easier to keep things as they are from that perspective.

maybe we should shift the clocks every month so it's always daylight at 6.00?

Gets my vote - that gains me 1 hour 25 mins extra daylight in June! Pretty grim in December though - dark before 2pm. Even now it'd be dark at close to 4pm so thinking about it maybe not!

For me the best solution would be to have daylight hours ranging from about 10 in winter to about 14.5 in summer. Then we could chop off the excesses of the early mornings in summer and the excesses of the early evenings in winter. However, we don't have that option available to us!

I don't think there is any right answer to what to do with the clocks changing. It all depends on whether you prefer to be an early riser- having a later span of daylight disadvantages the early risers and vice versa.

I don't agree with OON's logic though- why is anything other than road safety not a "real reason"? I am a strong disbeliever in the "health and safety is all that matters" line.

Yes it's true - the afternoon rush hour is more spread out so I can see it is probably easier to keep things as they are from that perspective.

Gets my vote - that gains me 1 hour 25 mins extra daylight in June! Pretty grim in December though - dark before 2pm. Even now it'd be dark at close to 4pm so thinking about it maybe not!

The way I see it, I'm at work in the afternoon and in winter it's dark when I get home whatever. So what difference if it's dark at 14.00 or 16.00 or 18.00? At least I get to go to work in the daylight, awake, and not feeling I should still be in bed.

I don't agree with OON's logic though- why is anything other than road safety not a "real reason"? I am a strong disbeliever in the "health and safety is all that matters" line.

As a weather enthusiast I'm looking forward to local time coinciding with UTC/Zulu time again - makes chart interpretion that much easier :D

I also think it's logical for the day to run from midnight to midnight rather than 01.00 to 01.00?

I was simply saying what other reason is there to do this? What other argument is put forward other than some assumptions made on the number of accidents. If there are other reasons, I don't know what they are.

Personally I think we should stick with GMT all year round.

GMT all year round would only work if we made some effort to change working hours. In May-July what's the point of sunrise at around 3:30am and sunset at 8:30pm when you work 9-5?

It's very wasteful of daylight sleeping through the first 4 or so hours of it only to have a couple of hours at most after work to enjoy it.

If we worked 6am-2pm during high summer than that'd work but I just can't see that happening. It's easier to move the clocks than change peoples habits!

Personally I think we should stick with GMT all year round.

I agree. I'd be almost apopleptic with rage and would probably be forced to write a letter to the Times if it was decided we were to remain on B.S.T throughout the year.

If you want the extra light in summer, get up early- it's the best time of day.

No matter what you do, the amount of daylight isn't going to change, and listening to some people on the radio recently, it seems some fail to grasp that.

and even that reason has lost strength now. as many schools now have varying hours. there are a few schools in my area where the children are out by 1500, and some even at 1430. my daughters start at 0820 and finish at 1520, so they travel to and from school in daylight all year round.

as you say, the amount of daylight is always going to be the same. so why cant we just get used to it rather then making it seem like we are trying to stretch the day out.

GMT all year round would only work if we made some effort to change working hours. In May-July what's the point of sunrise at around 3:30am and sunset at 8:30pm when you work 9-5?

It's very wasteful of daylight sleeping through the first 4 or so hours of it only to have a couple of hours at most after work to enjoy it.

Who forces you to sleep through the first 4 or so hours of sunlight? Surely you're naturally waking earlier so you get up earlier?

Who forces you to sleep through the first 4 or so hours of sunlight? Surely you're naturally waking earlier so you get up earlier?

i, like many others, work shift. and there are times when i see no daylight for days. i work 7 to 7 and am up at 0500 in the morning, not getting home until 8 in the evening. so unless i get the chance for a decent break, i can get up for my 1st day shift (say, for example, Monday) and then not see daylight until i get up wednesday morning. would be happy if the clocks didnt change as trying to adjust the body for sleep and work is a struggle best of times. let alone with a change of time as well. i actually woke at my normal time this morning. so was awake at 0450 only to realise it was really 0350 and then struggled with trying to go back to sleep for an hour but not so deep a sleep that i overslept.

I could get up earlier but to do what? Sit about and wait to leave for work? That isn't fun! Don't know about you but (for example) I'd much rather have 4 hours to myself at the end of the day rather than two hours before and two hours after.

It does indeed make sense to get up earlier if you can plan your own time all day but even if you could plan your own time - wouldn't you, after breakfast, get on and complete your working day then relax later? You're brain is most useful in those few hours after getting up so it's the best time to work. So, if you *have* to start work at 9am then you'd find most people sleep until it's time to get up for work then relax into the evening.

If we can change working hours then sure I'll get up at sunrise and go to bed at sunset in summer. It's a unlikely prospect though!

I was simply saying what other reason is there to do this? What other argument is put forward other than some assumptions made on the number of accidents. If there are other reasons, I don't know what they are.

The posts above illustrate the other arguments that people are putting forward- inconvenience regarding getting up/work/rest patterns, but they always have the problem that what would be good for one contingent of people would be bad for another.

Heavily regimented, inflexible "9 to 5" working hours seem to be a bigger problem than the timing of daylight, preventing people from making the most of the daylight within the constraint of still getting 7-8 hours' worth of work done.

That time of year again when people start ask why we don't follow Euro time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8321809.stm

This time, to appease the Scots, a suggestion is made to leave them on GMT whilst the rest of the UK follows Europe.

I agree - at least about the following Euro time as it really makes a lot more sense for a majority of people.

That is a ridiculous and slightly ignorant of the facts idea.

For a start, time zones are based on lines of longitude and not latitude which is what that will be.

Its not practical to have a timezone in a country as small as the UK, does Chile have different timezones consider its length as regards to the number of degrees of latitude it straggles is far greater than the UK?

Sunrise and sunset times are dependent on latitude, its not all the same all the way up to the Scottish border and then it dramatically changes, (a lot of nonsense about appeasing the Scots), so what about the people of the far north of England and indeed Northern Ireland?