Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

Windows 7

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, is is better than Vista, and is it worth the cost.

Perhaps more importantly, how smooth is the transition/upgrade process.

It looks exactly like Vista, apart from a few minor changes, it is basically the same, I'd stick with Vista, upgrading is pointless unless you want a slightly different look to your desktop and some other small features

It looks exactly like Vista, apart from a few minor changes, it is basically the same, I'd stick with Vista, upgrading is pointless unless you want a slightly different look to your desktop and some other small features

stick with vista??.....drop vista like a hot coal!....I've been testing Windows 7 last release candidate for a few months now on an Athlon xp4800 2Gb Ram rig.....After some serious benchmarking, Windows 7 is far faster than Vista, its the operating system vista should've been, and UAC is far less intrusive than Vista, a big thumbs up from me

stick with vista??.....drop vista like a hot coal!....I've been testing Windows 7 last release candidate for a few months now on an Athlon xp4800 2Gb Ram rig.....After some serious benchmarking, Windows 7 is far faster than Vista, its the operating system vista should've been, and UAC is far less intrusive than Vista, a big thumbs up from me

How easy is the upgrade from Vista.

I didn't pay for it but my copies are legal.

Errr. Upgrade from vista fairly easy one or two problems with my weather programs all solved bar weather display which doesn't like writing too it's own directory despite having the correct permissions.

My network printer wouldn't work on one machine re-installing it fixed that.

Otherwise best upgrade since windows 2000.

Only further nag I've got is one my window 7 machines won't shut down so I've got to find which program is stopping it.

As for benifits. One one machine much better performance on another no gain 64 bit. Both pc's were fairly clean.

If you're upgrading first remove any antivirus and third party firewalls. Run the compatibility upgrade and remove or upgrade drivers or programs that you need too.

I have never got why people continually criticise Vista, I have had very few problems with it unknw.gif

I have never got why people continually criticise Vista, I have had very few problems with it unknw.gif

Me neither. We got a new 'puta a few months back and it came with the option to upgrade to Windows 7 for free,when it became available. Can't be doing with the hassle... maybe when I'm bored one day.

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, is is better than Vista, and is it worth the cost.

Perhaps more importantly, how smooth is the transition/upgrade process.

well all the feedback from the guys in work is good. a few extra things that 7 offers make it easier to use then vista, and XP users will be pleased if they upgrade as it offers them some quicker processes. the upgrade takes about 2 hours and there are a few things that microsoft ask you to do. one been that you disable itunes. but none of the people i know did that and found no problems. we think that Bill is just being pedantic by saying take itunes off B)

There are some useful and even fun usability features. For example, you can easily place windows side by side and you can peek behind windows to see what’s on your desktop. You can also open a window to full screen by ‘shaking’ it.

The search engine seems much faster and the explorer layout is good. The HomeGroup feature makes setting up a network and sharing files, printers etc, very easy and a good video streaming capability.

Other than that the TV view in Windows Media Centre is nice and coming soon is the ability to view Sky channels if you’re an existing Sky subscriber and to record TV programmes from a well set out guide.

The overall impression I get is that if you’re coming from Vista you will experience better performance although some benchmarks have been published showing that Windows 7 rates the same as Vista. If you’re coming from XP you’ll see a major usability improvement from features that were in Vista anyway.

one thing to remember with upgrades. there is usually a settling in period of time where bugs and fixes are sorted out. so many people wait a while to upgrade. microsoft have sussed this out and are increasing the price of windows 7 in the new year.

Me neither. We got a new 'puta a few months back and it came with the option to upgrade to Windows 7 for free,when it became available. Can't be doing with the hassle... maybe when I'm bored one day.

Me neither, neither! B)

Vista sucked bit time. Needs large amounts of memory to run properly. You cannot do a manual restore on it when it goes tits up if it even bothers to make one. Amazing number of broken vista machines I've seen with no system restore points.

The event viewer is awful.

Too easily compromised and no doubt this will be the same for windows 7.

Anyway I discovered that I can't use my scanner on windows 7. Come on HP release the new drivers will you the inbuilt ones suck.

Hopefully going to get Windows 7 on my new laptop, should get it for 30.00 pound or 59.00 pound for ultimate being a student! Having never had vista i don't know what its like. Well my sister had it. But i know from speaking to Friends that they didn't like it much!

The 2 computers in my house have just broke within 2 days :lol: I've managed to rescue the stuff from my hard drive but can't get it from the other pc.

I've just bought the parts for one pc with windows 7, I don't see any reason why not!

Just noticed the £30/60 offers mark, will need to get them when i decide to buy a new pc for myself.

Vista sucked bit time. Needs large amounts of memory to run properly. You cannot do a manual restore on it when it goes tits up if it even bothers to make one. Amazing number of broken vista machines I've seen with no system restore points.

The event viewer is awful.

Too easily compromised and no doubt this will be the same for windows 7.

Anyway I discovered that I can't use my scanner on windows 7. Come on HP release the new drivers will you the inbuilt ones suck.

I'm really enjoying the windows 7 experience, however I'm suffering on the HP front as well..... scanner and copier work fine, yet printer won't do anything bar a test page! Still waiting on HP tech support to call me back :lol:

Are you kidding? Vista is slow and windows 7 looks nothing like Vista? :mellow:

Is it true that Microsoft are recommending that people don't try to upgrade directly from XP to Windows7?

Is it true that Microsoft are recommending that people don't try to upgrade directly from XP to Windows7?

Yes. I'm not totaly sure why though.

Becuase you can't.

If you have to go XP to Vista to Windows 7.

It's messy but works.

Becuase you can't.

It's messy but works.

true....but with the purchasing of any operating system, I would recommend backing up one's important data and then performing a clean install, forget booting up windows and then upgrading from the desktop, its fraught with potential disaster!

Becuase you can't.

It's messy but works.

xp to 7 is not a good idea what so ever, i have known system files to corrupt this way, the best way install 7 is a fresh HD format and install in straight on, you'll only end up doing so if you upgrade from xp anyhow....

7 is so much better than Vista. Faster and more stable and the plug and play actually works unlike previous attempts at it. I upgraded from Vista to 7 and it does take a long time and seems to freeze at 21% and 62% - just have to be patient and it seems to wake up and finish but allow a few hours. Mine took about 8 hours but i do have some beefy apps to migrate.

xp to 7 is not a good idea what so ever, i have known system files to corrupt this way, the best way install 7 is a fresh HD format and install in straight on, you'll only end up doing so if you upgrade from xp anyhow....

Depends how clean the os is. If it's never been used or only had about two programs installed not really a problem. Plus theres a lot of fun fixing a broken winblows.

Just now, I have Vista...Is it worth my downloading 7 off the Internet???

I'm so sick of all those 'Automatic' patch thingies, that mess-up things at one in the morning!! :whistling:

7 is so much better than Vista. Faster and more stable and the plug and play actually works unlike previous attempts at it. I upgraded from Vista to 7 and it does take a long time and seems to freeze at 21% and 62% - just have to be patient and it seems to wake up and finish but allow a few hours. Mine took about 8 hours but i do have some beefy apps to migrate.

I'm tempted to install it on my laptop which is currently running XP Pro, as the machine's not vital to me business-wise. It would be good to see ow AutoCAD 2009 works with it too....do you use AutoCAD? Also, would it network with XP at all? Doesn't really matter if it doesn't.

Would Vista run on this machine? It's a Core 2 Duo T7100 with 2gb of RAM?

I'm tempted to install it on my laptop which is currently running XP Pro, as the machine's not vital to me business-wise. It would be good to see ow AutoCAD 2009 works with it too....do you use AutoCAD? Also, would it network with XP at all? Doesn't really matter if it doesn't.

Would Vista run on this machine? It's a Core 2 Duo T7100 with 2gb of RAM?

A colleague has said networking 7 and XP is much easier than with Vista. And unlike Vista all my software seems to run smoothly especially AutoCAD (I'm running 2010). I think you will have to do a fresh install to move from XP to 7 as an upgrade doesn't seem to be supported - if thats not a problem it is supposed to be better to start afresh. I upgraded as I was only too pleased to get rid of the paranoid and slow vista.

Vista will run on that machine but you will see a slow down and it probably won't be able to run the aero thingy without slowing to a halt.

Its taken a very long time for Microsoft to come up with a match to the Mac but I think they have this time.

Did I say 2009? I meant 2011 of course.

Actually, it's not full-blown AutoCAD, but their OEM engine with a landscape-specific software package bolted on. I used to work a lot on the laptop, but I don't now as I just work late in the office if I have to. The networking side sounds really good though because I synchronise files for another layer of safety and it is quite useful...albeit not essential. If it's likely to slow the whole machine down though, I might hold off.