Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil UK

Southgate Sacked

If they have a proven manager lined up to replace him then it's potentially quite a good move- I don't think Southgate is the best man for the job.

But if not, then the timing is quite poor, and they'd have been better off waiting to see if they got promoted this season first, with the idea of sacking him next season if the side continues to underperform be it in the Premiership or Championship.

Agree there TWS. If they don't appoint someone in the coming days then what a stupid decision. If they were going to sack him then he should have been sacked at the end of last season - not when they are a point off the top of the Championship!

Looks like the decision was made upwards of a couple of weeks ago and that Gordon Strachan was always a likely replacement, plus while Boro were 4th in the table their home attendances were dropping alarmingly. So while the timing may have been suspect the decision may well turn out to be the right one.

Edit: I see rather unpromising news that Chris Hughton might be installed as permanent Newcastle manager unless Ashley's sale goes ahead. I think he's doing a decent job as caretaker manager in the Championship but think he would be the equivalent of Sunderland's Ricky Sbragia- not the right man to take the club forward into a decent mid to high table region of the Premiership (which in my opinion is where they belong).

If Newcastle are to stick with Chris Hughton for a while I'm afraid I can see it ending in tears unless they do what Sunderland managed to get away with last season- to install him until the end of the season, hopefully get promoted, and then bring in a more promising manager for next season.