Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

50 Days To Save The World

Kiwi

Posted

Gordon is at it again ---saving the world....again. He's becoming a regular superhero, first our finances and now our climate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8314044.stm

Surely sound-bites like this do nothing to help the climate change message being taken seriously. Politicians coming out with stuff like this just turns the public off and gets people doubting the science. What do others think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Let me complete the title for you...

50 days to save the world from Gordon Brown :cold:

Posted

Only very recently,we had 10 years to save the world. Then it was five,now it's 50 days. Let them get on with it. Having got what they wanted I presume we'll hear no more of AGW and all those thousands upon thousands depending on it will be down the labour exchange,their positions being rendered effectively redundant with the 'saving of the world'?

Posted

This guy is getting really desperate now and i'm sorry but i can't buy these kind of scaremongering comments from the world's politicans. It really is downright deceitful in my eyes. Trouble is some people will really take this doomsday stuff in and start preaching it at any given chance.

Posted

This is a new low for Gordon Brown.

Many of the predictions he made for the UK are flawed even if warming were to continue.

I agree the more politicians meddle in this matter the less credible the scientists seem

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nothing like alarming.

Of course all this talk about climate warming and stopping the forests been cut for wood and agriculture does highlight another problem. The growing population,

they're going to need to live somewhere so that's something else that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for cleaning the planet up however as population grows more and more countries won't be able to feed themselves. I'm pretty sure the UK can't and depends on imports already.

Growing population and climate change go hand in hand really.

Posted

A new low indeed, Stu.

I read this article earlier and to be quite honest I couldn't help but chuckle at it.

"50 days to save the world!"

This coming from the same man who earlier this year during PM's Question Time claiming that he saved the world from financial destruction. rolleyes.gif

Just another load of spin and diversionary tactics to take peoples minds off how inept this gov't really is. He know that his time is short as leader of this country.

Or has he just been too many Marvel comics? Probably his pyjamas come with a big red 'S' on the front.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just keep telling yourself this...just 7 more months...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Come on guys you are talking about the World Statesman of the year here.

One of the greatest mysteries as too why though ....

Posted

First time I've seen a Tory 'love in' in this sub forum...

Erm, can we stick to the science please? Can we thus stop attacking GB the man and instead (if you so feel moved) attack what he said? Is that too much to ask? Is it too much to ask for people to listen to what he said rather than simply shoot from the hip? Seems so...

Edited by Devonian

Posted

"Shooting from the hip??"

I'm not but this Calamity Clown has been so on the uptake of late. "World saviour", "Statesman of the Year" Now if you read between the lines, it sounds to me like he's making an ultimatum.

50 years, (check past speeches!) has suddenly become '50 days'.

The last desperate attempts of a man who, IMO is heading for the most colossal defeat in the next election. (Hopefully!)

(And I don't trust the Tories or Lib Dems either, just for the record!)

Opinion polls mean sod all, especially at this point in time.

But back to the science bit. Now my good friends... The planet has not in theory increased in temperature since 1998 (BBC statistics, not mine!) Scientists claim that it is all down to the natural cycle of the Earth itself. (I am more in favour of their way of thinking!) Yet the pro global warming suggest otherwise.

Now! Ice ages, warmer spells which if the Clown suggests claims...

"Gordon Brown said negotiators had 50 days to save the world from global warming and break the "impasse". "

So does that mean in 50 days (now 49! Which will fall on 8th December 2009) Sudden climatic change will occur?? Sounds like some form of dictatorship to me unless all leaders of the world sign up. rolleyes.gif

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The bottom line to this has nothing whatsoever to do with science, GB's rhetoric and his time line of 50 days is simply a means of piling on the pressure, prior to the talks in Copenhagen. All previous meetings have failed to get China and India on board, progress is sloooooooow, it's unlikely they will sign up this time either.

Son of Kyoto is due soon, it's going to be difficult to get major industrial nations like the USA to commit to this, if China and India continue to industrialise their nation (with no carbon restrictions)at the pace we've seen in recent years.

Obama may well be committed to carbon capping but the American lifestyle is heavily petro-chemical based with a less than glowing financial economy. There will be wide scale uproar amongst the populace if they face a more expensive, eco friendly lifestyle but China and India do not.

Posted

Yes, but, don't forget we have to save all the drowning puppies from that big black grown-up induced monster in the sky, chaps.

Here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221577/A-bedtime-story-drowning-kittens-puppies--Labours-6m-campaign-highlight-dangers-climate-change.html is a newspaper article about the impact of the advert.

Put together this advert with Gordo's spoutings and it really does look as if this AGW argument is getting desperate. This is a very good thing because hopefully soon we can start being a bit more sensible and working towards a cleaner existence on this planet, without all of the ridiculousness which, frankly, turns a lot of people off and induces others to MAKE more pollution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If the government really wants to influence our children so they grow up into responsible adults with sustainable lifestyles, wouldn't it make more sense to ban advertising aimed at young children? TV is full of them, especially in the run up to Christmas, fuelling the "I want one" mentality from an increasingly younger age.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Is it not all tosh?

Would someone like to post up the impacts of the paper agreements arrived at in Kyoto?

Anyone would think that if world Govt.s agree on something it happens. It would appear not to and so the conference to come will be filled with many fine words and followed by limited action upon those self same promises.

Look at the developed worlds cash pledges to sub-Saharan Africa. How much has been honoured and how much appears to have been global showmanship?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

as far as im concerned its a political outcry by the goverment,

to keep us on hook and line,

then when they want more money from the public,

it soften the blow.

oibjective to lead the people into a false sence of sercurity.

this is why they along side others seek to scare the living daylights out of us and our children,

i wonder how many scientist totally agree with this approach.

but im all for a cleaner planet but without the bullcrap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nothing like alarming.

Of course all this talk about climate warming and stopping the forests been cut for wood and agriculture does highlight another problem. The growing population,

they're going to need to live somewhere so that's something else that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for cleaning the planet up however as population grows more and more countries won't be able to feed themselves. I'm pretty sure the UK can't and depends on imports already.

Growing population and climate change go hand in hand really.

You would be surprised just how much of our own food we could still produce if we used all available land. Its around 89% which was alot better than i originaly thought my self.

I learnt that from one of the few lectures that i attended at uni. lol drinks.gif I think at present we only produce about 15% of our own though which is diabolical really.bomb.gif

As for the 50 days thing well its just utter rubbish really and i would love a 60's winter just to see what they would say about it all.rofl.gif

Posted

Now this really IS becoming stupid! mad.gif

Linky : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091020/tuk-outrage-over-drowning-pets-climate-a-45dbed5.html

As if the current scaremongering isn't bad enough, now they are brainwashing applying their unproven crap to our kids.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Now this really IS becoming stupid! mad.gif

Linky : http://uk.news.yahoo...-a-45dbed5.html

As if the current scaremongering isn't bad enough, now they are brainwashing applying their unproven crap to our kids.

Phil.

Yeah thats the video i was on about in another forum.

Its totally unbalanced very political and very disturbing,

jethro has mentioned this has caused some pretty bad complaints,

and like i said before if the uk high court let al gore show his videos in schools but he was ordered to edit 9 parts of his film,

because it was thought some parts was not good for children and there was also a fair few false bits aswell,

then the same action should be taken against this.

50days to save the world,

well all i can say is good luck because not everybody thinks mmgw is true.

Posted

"The government has already been prevented from screening the ad during children's programmes."

Well that's funny. During the second ad break of Deal or no Deal only today... There it was. (4:36pm)

I know DonD may not in itself be a children's programme but my 8 year old Niece likes to watch it. Having viewed it myself for only the first time today, the conclusion I make is apart from the fact that it angered me, it should be taken off the air PRONTO!

There is a wrong way of presenting the 'issue' (such as at present) and there is a right way.

But seeing as the DECC and the gov't don't know what is right anyway, I don't hold out much (if any) hope of there being any alternative approach without scaring young children half to death.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I'm sorry, but are people really suggesting that advert is going to scare any children, really ?. It's about as scary as Evil Edna on Will O' The Wisp (showing my age I know !). Just seems like a very convenient excuse to bash it if you ask me, (not that I'm defending the political reasons behind the ad, I just think that the suggestion it should be banned because it's 'too scary' seems quite ridiculous).