Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cookie

Liverpool Shop Sells Out Of Beach Balls

Mischievous fans of rival teams have flocked to Liverpool's official online store to buy the club out of beach balls.

The Reds lost 1-0 to Sunderland on Saturday courtesy of a Darren Bent strike that deflected in off a large red ball that had been thrown into the penalty box by a Liverpool supporter.

Opposition fans revelling in Rafa Benitez's side's misery have bought all remaining 'beach sets' from the online shop, which consist of a towel, a bag and the now-infamous beach ball.

The sets had been reduced from £20 to £10 and have now sold out. They will be a must-have item for travelling supporters visiting Anfield in coming weeks.

Several web users have also left spoof reviews on the site.

'Natalie from Manchester' wrote: "I bought this set, but seem to have lost the ball in Sunderland. Is it possible to order a replacement?" while 'G from Johnon' commented: "This is one of the most flexible products I have ever purchased. Great for not only the beach, but can also play up front."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18102009/58/premier-league-liverpool-shop-sells-beach-balls.html

Absolutely brilliant! I feel sorry for Liverpool and I think the goal shouldn't have stood but this is very funny I have to say.

Liverpool's season thus far:

- Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Liverpool

- Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa

- Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool

- Beachball 1-0 Liverpool

Real title credentials!

Yes but it was a Liverpool fan who throws the ball onto the pitch and these do occur every few years or so in a top flight game

Just like any other deflection. Anyone remember the balloon incident in the fa cup. Shef United V Man City when the defender kicked the balloon and not ball leaving a simple tap in.

Of course if it was a Sunderland beach ball, the goal would have been disallowed for being offside. :good:

Seriously though the goal should be disallowed as there was outside interference with the game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8312966.stm

Its interesting that if the beach ball had of stopped the ball from going in the net, then its not a goal so the rule does not work in reverse.

I have often dreamt of running on the pitch to save my side by kicking a goal bound shot away :good:

Technically by the rules it was not a goal because it should have been a drop ball within the area (or something like that). However, the best way to address incidents like this is to reduce the chances of them happening again, not retrospectively modify results of matches. I don't remember any matches being replayed because the ball was wrongly thought to have crossed the line for example.

I must admit I found the goal somewhat amusing, but then again I do support Sunderland.

Mmm couldn't have applied in the fa cup tie between sufc and Man city. Was that another mistake by the ref as the balloons were certainly interfering with play.

As I type a beach ball comes on the pitch in the Blackpool V Shef UTD. No doubt Cotteril will get fined for kicking it back into the crowd.