Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moscow To Be Snow Free For Winter 09/10

Posted

It seems amazing to me that how hard we try in this country just to get 1 week of lying snow nowadays, the Russians have come up with a plan to save on disruption, what are peoples views on playing with mother nature like this, and do you think it is worth saving money on the lack of disruption caused.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091017/wl_time/08599193082200

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

omg that would be good here for the summer but not winter!!!:whistling::wallbash::unsure:<_<:diablo::nonono:

Posted

interesting if somewhat dubious article. ive been to moscow several times in winter and everything runs well in the biggest blizzards. there underground system is fantastic, makes london's look like is was designed by hornby. it does seem very unfair on the suburbs if this dubious spraying system means the suburbs suffer so much, and will that not affect the commuters coming in to central moscow? imagine if the government announced a similar sceme for the uk's major cities, most of this forum would be marching on parliament!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I commented on this in the other thread as well. Ironically I remember that during the exceptionally warm, snowless period of November 2006 to January 2007, there were reports that many Muscovites were unhappy with the lack of traditional winter snow. Moscow does not get a lot of sunlight during the winter months so there is the possibility that snow cover could help to alleviate SAD- also, warm Atlantic weather there tends to be very cloudy with limited diurnal ranges.

However there's little doubt that eradicating snow would help reduce disruption and improve the economy.

At a personal level I think of it like this: how would I feel if someone decided to honour my birthday and, seeing that it was forecast to have sunshine, showers and thunderstorms, put a thick sheet on top of my location and poured chemicals into the clouds so that I could have a nice cloudy but essentially DRY birthday, while nearby areas get frequent thunder and 5cm of hail? I wouldn't be too happy about it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

haha still be icy though i think its a pathetic thing to do.

they could always load it up on huge freezer containers and dump it in the arctic cycle.:D:D

and surely by doing this there causing more warming aswell.

i know this might sound silly but this artical is fiction or is it fact ?

This technique is not foolproof and there have been occasions that despite it being used, the weather has not always played ball, but it does seem to have at least degree of success.

Personally I am not sure of the widespread of use of this kind of technique, and what long terms are there of pumping chemicals into the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Remarkably enough, it looks like it is fact, and an extension of their cloud seeding to keep public holidays rain free. The idea was mentioned as a possibility for UK events such as Glastonbury as recently as last summer but it was always rejected out of hand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I sincerely hope any attempt to manipulate the weather backfires with a fivefold increase in the amount of snow falling on Moscow city centre, just to burn their fingers.

We exert far too much control on too many aspects of the natural world as it is without trying to control the weather and should adapt to what occurs naturally.

As far as I'm concerned that goes for any other attemps at weather manipulation too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think their inteference will only cause consequences. It's a shame man hasn't learned that messing around with nature will cause bad consequences!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frosty & Sunny

It seems amazing to me that how hard we try in this country just to get 1 week of lying snow nowadays, the Russians have come up with a plan to save on disruption, what are peoples views on playing with mother nature like this, and do you think it is worth saving money on the lack of disruption caused.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091017/wl_time/08599193082200

Paul S

I think this article should have been saved for the 1st of April. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Anyone see this article, about Early Snow in Beijing caused by cloud seeding.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/8337337.stm

yes it goes to show how much humans want to mess about with our climate this is yet another small backlash to playing mother nature.

perhapes if the concern is so bad then why not cloud seed of the melting glacers or even the melting arctic,

i dunno anymore i think its all crazy.

Posted

I commented on this in the other thread as well. Ironically I remember that during the exceptionally warm, snowless period of November 2006 to January 2007, there were reports that many Muscovites were unhappy with the lack of traditional winter snow. Moscow does not get a lot of sunlight during the winter months so there is the possibility that snow cover could help to alleviate SAD- also, warm Atlantic weather there tends to be very cloudy with limited diurnal ranges.

However there's little doubt that eradicating snow would help reduce disruption and improve the economy.

At a personal level I think of it like this: how would I feel if someone decided to honour my birthday and, seeing that it was forecast to have sunshine, showers and thunderstorms, put a thick sheet on top of my location and poured chemicals into the clouds so that I could have a nice cloudy but essentially DRY birthday, while nearby areas get frequent thunder and 5cm of hail? I wouldn't be too happy about it...

The one time I choose to visit Moscow expecting lots of snow and temps down to -25 degrees was during New Year 2007 and apart from some very wet snow one day there was no snow cover whatsoever and nightime lows hovered just around freezing it felt like an average spell of british winter weather.

I remember some moscovites complaining about how mild it was and they all seemed rather glum faced about it.. I seemed to jinx myself both that new year and the following one which I spent in Iceland and again was greeted by some very mild conditions. It was typical that the two new years either side brought very cold weather esp new year 2006 to russia, but I'm glad I spent last new year here it was a wonderful spell of wintry weather.