Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Depression/storm Due Tuesday 20Th

Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sensing people's frustrations with the uneventful and settled weather lately, next Tuesday is starting to look very promising indeed!!

An area of LP is forecast to rattle in from the WSW on Tuesday, with a forecast centre at this stage of around the 968mb mark!! At present, it looks like the whole of the UK is likely to get smacked by it, with potentially a lot of rainfall too.

Finally, something to get a bit excited about! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Id rather the weather we have now thanks

Posted

Id rather the weather we have now thanks

Coming from someone with the name "surfer"...thought this would be virtually paradise weather for surfers :clap:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Atm looks like the slow-moving system to west of Ireland early to mid-week will probably give copious amounts of rain + wind across the west - but slow moving front tending to see rain become lighter as it heads slowly towards the east. Though mid-week onwards does show a wave developing along the front which may bring heavier rain to the east eventually.

Perhaps some convective potential in the post front Pm airmass in the west eventually too.

Posted

Having spent some of the day reminiscing about October 87, talk about a 968mb low does get the old juices flowing !

Is this the calm before the storm. I sincerely hope so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Certainly want this weather, should be great sat/sun cold and sunny, dont want rain, yesterday was so wet it was unbelievable, keep it quiet and settled

Posted

A lot of rain would help the grass even more after the September with hardly any rainfall!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Can't see a storm for Tuesday just a normal looking low parked away from the south west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Coming from someone with the name "surfer"...thought this would be virtually paradise weather for surfers :drinks:

Haha! Yes, low pressure is good news for surfing, but it would be nicer to have hot and sunny weather with a good wave!

Posted

Can't see a storm for Tuesday just a normal looking low parked away from the south west.

Agreed. I think some people are getting fooled by how low the pressure will be when in reality the isobars are not that tightly packed together so severe gales is unlikely. The rainfall could be more of a story however with the potential of some heavy rain in Western areas and with leaves off the trees blocking the drains, flooding is possible.

Posted

really are they? and you're basing this one what? :lol

Hmm...what was looking like a potential storm is now looking like a normal/strong, extensive depression. Sadly, not a lot of storm potential attached either by the looks of GFS - doesnt mean of course chances wont improve, but am not getting excited.

Am quite looking forward to slightly milder weather as it has certainly been on the nippy side lately - while I love the sunny days and starry nights, I really dont like the cold!!

Should be a good deal warmer over the coming week, with today being an exception, so bring it on.

With regards the comment about atlantic storms getting weaker - on the whole I think the N Atlantic has been relatively very quiet this year - certainly far fewer tropical storms and hurricanes, which quite often leads to a quieter period for us depression wise this time of year - but I think to say atlantic storms in general are getting weaker is perhaps inaccurate - you most certainly wouldn't say that if you were in a boat, with even the relatively bland looking depression racing our way now! It wasn't too many years ago (07 into 08 was it?) when the Hogmanay celebrations were cancelled due to stormy weather!! And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two quite potent depressions/storms rattle our way this season.

Posted

a lot of it depends where you live, their has been 2 very strong Atlantic storms already this winter further north that the vast majority of the uk would have been fine, 2 storms with winds over 70 mph. the storm we had this past January had sustained winds of over 90 mph for a period of time. with the strongest gust of 105 mph. I don't think these Atlantic storms are getting and weaker and we tend to go through a wee lull every now and again.

Posted

Well as I originally said this low isn't a storm system. Max gust of 18 mph doesn't make a storm and neither does 3.8mm

I wouldn't say Atlantic storms are getting weaker although we've have gone a very long time here without a big storm. These things come in cycles.

Posted

i agree about cycles in 2004/05 we had system after system it was like a convery belt of systems

Great days eh.