Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick L

Worst Away End

You may have had away days where you have had rubbish views, crap seats, awful toilets, poisonous pies etc., but this has to take the biscuit for the worst away end ever:

http://www.footballspotter.com/worst-football/

Got any stories of bad away ends? I don't go to many away games, but the worst one for me was Ipswich - which will upset a few members on here! If you had legs then you had no hope of sitting down comfortably!

Try the away "Side" at Berwick Rangers.....that is the lowest of the low away games!!!

Mind you I was watching Stenhousemuir

leyton orient circa 1987...watch fa cup 3rd round match between leyton orient and west ham january 10 or 11th 1987...bitterly cold..no facilities to even get a hot drink and the toilets were broken..these were the days of terracing no cover and half the barriers were broken.

leyton orient circa 1987...watch fa cup 3rd round match between leyton orient and west ham january 10 or 11th 1987...bitterly cold..no facilities to even get a hot drink and the toilets were broken..these were the days of terracing no cover and half the barriers were broken.

Exactly the same as when I went to see Leeds away to Wigan in the FA Cup QF - a few concrete steps then a grass bank, no access to any facilities, and needless to say agressively herded by the local constabulary arriving and leaving. We won 2-0 though so it all seemed worthwhile. Haven't been to the JJB Stadium (or whatever it's called now), but the old Wigan ground really was a dump.

Mind you, I once went to watch Doncaster Rovers at their old ground in '87 or '88 and that had to be the most run-down derelict 'football ground' I've ever been to - one small rickety stand and the rest dilapidated crumbling terraces with grass and nettles growing out of the cracks.

Exactly the same as when I went to see Leeds away to Wigan in the FA Cup QF - a few concrete steps then a grass bank, no access to any facilities, and needless to say agressively herded by the local constabulary arriving and leaving. We won 2-0 though so it all seemed worthwhile. Haven't been to the JJB Stadium (or whatever it's called now), but the old Wigan ground really was a dump.

Mind you, I once went to watch Doncaster Rovers at their old ground in '87 or '88 and that had to be the most run-down derelict 'football ground' I've ever been to - one small rickety stand and the rest dilapidated crumbling terraces with grass and nettles growing out of the cracks.

You League dwellers have not lived when it comes to away ends or even grounds in general, you talk nettles I talk bushes, I bet you never fallen down a 20ft grass bank when you scored like I did at Lewes. Honestly you are a bunch of softies :D

but the worst one for me was Ipswich - which will upset a few members on here! If you had legs then you had no hope of sitting down comfortably!

I would agree with that, Nick. It was in the late 1990's when BCFC were playing away and Portman Road's away end is so damn steep. You didn't dare lean too far forward or else you'd end up being accused of invading the pitch. :D

Phil.

I would agree with that, Nick. It was in the late 1990's when BCFC were playing away and Portman Road's away end is so damn steep. You didn't dare lean too far forward or else you'd end up being accused of invading the pitch. biggrin.gif

Phil.

:whistling: That wasn't the worst bit though. We went on New Year's Day - and as you probably know it is an absolute nightmare to get down to Ipswich, a horrible 3-4 hour drive just to get there. It was cold, it was wet, we were on the lower tier so we got wet. Thankfully the lower tier was quite empty, so we got 2 seats at the top of the aisle so we could actually sit down comfortably (we couldn't stand up because the executive boxes were behind us). Obviously it used to be a terrace and they just shoved seats on top of it. And worst of all we lost 2-0. Don't get me wrong it is a good old fashioned stand, but a lick of paint here and there wouldn't go amiss!

I've never sat in the away end at Ipswich, for obvious reasons :doh: , but the stand in question is the oldest stand at Portman Road now, and by all accounts is not overly pleasant. If any future work was to be done, then that stand is in line for redevelopment, but given that we are currently heading the wrong way, that doesn't look like happening any time soon.

As for my own personal experience, the worse away end I have been in was Colchester United's away end at their old Layer Road ground. Dirty, small, cramped, and if you're not a tall person, a job to see much of the action on the pitch!

I've never sat in the away end at Ipswich, for obvious reasons tongue.gif , but the stand in question is the oldest stand at Portman Road now, and by all accounts is not overly pleasant. If any future work was to be done, then that stand is in line for redevelopment, but given that we are currently heading the wrong way, that doesn't look like happening any time soon.

As for my own personal experience, the worse away end I have been in was Colchester United's away end at their old Layer Road ground. Dirty, small, cramped, and if you're not a tall person, a job to see much of the action on the pitch!

We were considering going there, would have been a taste of classic terracing! Too late now though.

Newcastle

Its bitterly cold, especially during the winter, i went when west brom beat them 2 - 1 in the micky mouse cup a few year back on a wednesday night, you can hardly see the players on the pitch its that high up

nigel

Luton Away, the big open stand, always rained

Southampton (the dell) horrible horrible horibble !

Oxford Utd (cuckoo lane end) always rained !

Coventry City, when they first put the seats in , no shins left by half time !

I agree about Kenilworth Road (Luton) - what a dive.

Mind you I can't talk, when I'm not at The Emirates supporting Arsenal, I support Barnet, and Underhill is not particularly inspiring to say the least!

Steve m