Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where To Position My Sensor?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I have a very small yard, absolutley all of it is brick, my sensor is currently on a nail on the gate, there is an 8 meter metal pole for the washing line though, would it be a good idea to stick it on the very top of that?

I presume your gate is wooden then? Anything that is wooden is good because stuff like brick walls or concrete can make data not accurate. It should be placed at least 4ft above ground level. It should also be avoided by sunlight and rainfall. Make sure it is in a position where free circulation of air can occur.

I'm not sure if the very top of the pole is a good idea but maybe down lower to about 4ft, that is if its not going to be in direct sunlight or rainfall.

Posted

I presume your gate is wooden then? Anything that is wooden is good because stuff like brick walls or concrete can make data not accurate. It should be placed at least 4ft above ground level. It should also be avoided by sunlight and rainfall. Make sure it is in a position where free circulation of air can occur.

I'm not sure if the very top of the pole is a good idea but maybe down lower to about 4ft, that is if its not going to be in direct sunlight or rainfall.

I put it on the pole just before reading your post.

It's about 18 foot up and i stuck it on with TAPE :D

Is that bad?

Is this a good station?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230378493806&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Posted

Like I said before if its not in direct sunlight or rainfall it should be ok. :D 18ft is 14ft over to what I said.

Yeah looks like a good station.

Cool, i'll purchase that station. It took me 45 mins to put my sensor up there :D

LOL

ill go take it down, thanks for the advice :D

Posted

how did it take 45 mins?

I had to stand on a wall, find everything, balance myself, get tape off, get tape on, take it down!

Edited by Hancock

Posted

I think if you taped it up, it would have taken a lot less than 45 minutes to come down the first time it rained.

I think you want to put it in the location which best combines shade with air-flow, as you want the air flowing over it nicely to give an accurate reading, which is why some of the more expensive stations come with fans.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I think if you taped it up, it would have taken a lot less than 45 minutes to come down the first time it rained.

I think you want to put it in the location which best combines shade with air-flow, as you want the air flowing over it nicely to give an accurate reading, which is why some of the more expensive stations come with fans.

Thanks for the advice OON. I think all three of my sensors need moving, they are all giving me different readings. :)

Anyone know why this is?

• 3 months later...
Posted

Thanks for the advice OON. I think all three of my sensors need moving, they are all giving me different readings. dry.gif

Anyone know why this is?

For correct temperature measurements,you must build a Stevenson screen box or a fan aspirated radiation shield

http://users.otenet....screen-box.html

http://users.otenet....ion-shield.html

Edited by weather1967