Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Forecast On Netweather

Paul

Posted

For those of you who haven't seen the announcement on the homepage today, this is the news:

With Winter fast approaching, here is the announcement that many of you have been waiting for since we gave the news that something extra was being planned (thanks for all the emails by the way!)...

This year, alongside the usual long range forecast an additional, more detailed outlook will be available. The forecast, written by Stewart Rampling (long range expert here at Netweather) is usually only sent to commercial clients but this Winter it will be freely available.

Stewart, who is using techniques right at the forefront of long range forecasting will be issuing his initial thoughts towards the end of this month, with the full forecast then available during November. That's not all though, Stewart will also be putting together two videos to summarise and explain both the preview and the full forecast, and these will be available at the same time.

There will be further announcements in the coming weeks confirming the dates that the forecasts will be online, plus look out for news of more new features.

In addition to the above, John Holmes has put together a series of videos looking ahead to winter, and these will be online this week too..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Thanks Paul

Looks like this is the site to be on. Look very much to Stewarts and John's 'goodies' :rofl:

BFTP

Posted

Is there a date, as to when the winter forecast will be aviliable.

Thanks

It's amazing the info you can pick up if you read the posts made within a thread!! (ie check the initial post):

There will be further announcements in the coming weeks confirming the dates that the forecasts will be online, plus look out for news of more new features.

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good vid, JH...I wouldn't mind the snow, just not the sub -10s!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i dont think i want to look at the winter forecast i just know its gonna be bad news for a cold one.

but hey im not taking away the effort that you guys put into your forecast ive gotta face facts that sometimes those i least agree with are most likely right after all ie ian brown gray wolf ect ect.

i just never wanna except that climate has warmed so much that our winters are gone because of this,

its also true when people talk of last winter it was exciting but nothing compaired to the past.

and yes this is a prolonged winter is over i throw in the towel :D

Posted
but hey im not taking away the effort that you guys put into your forecast
So you're thanking them for their efforts despite the fact that it might forecast a mild winter (which you don't know it will)?

Astonishing!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ahh 1947 charts you don't charts like that these days expect in deep FI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Hi all,personaly i found the videos , especialy the secone one very interesting , and he gives nothin away whats so ever regarding this coming forecast , i cant believe i read comments on hear so negative such as . ''im throwing in the towel now !!'' I know us snow lovers want the snow and cold , and even in a mild one we'l still get some snow , but saying that , with the atlantic so quiet , as it was last year , also given that the video mainly was talking about high pressure it leads me to be very optimistic indeed , i no gut feelings count for nothing when it comes to the weather but for me there's several factors pointing towards a cold winter , and the factors pointing toward a mild 1 are factors that have been there for years , ie- global warming , recent trends etc etc . . . I personaly have a feeling that we are entering a different pattern , not just to winters but summers also ,good.gif so its thumbs up for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thanks for the videos John :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

i dont think i want to look at the winter forecast i just know its gonna be bad news for a cold one.

i just never wanna except that climate has warmed so much that our winters are gone because of this,

its also true when people talk of last winter it was exciting but nothing compaired to the past.

and yes this is a prolonged winter is over i throw in the towel wallbash.gif

You talk as if the climate around the UK has warmed by 5C since the 1940s.

Picture of big snowman feb 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm/2009/02/the_joy_of_snow.shtml

If you have forgotten Feb 2009 details here they are

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7866294.stm

The synoptics for Jan 1947 could easily be repeated again, pity the adds in the video to the right are so intrusive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

http://www.bbc.co.uk...y_of_snow.shtml

The synoptics for Jan 1947 could easily be repeated again, pity the adds in the video to the right are so intrusive

I know yeah. The average temperature in the UK has risen by 0.5c or something like that I think. That isn't enough to completely rule out a very cold winter IMO. 47 and 63 were lucky as every single piece of the jigsaw slotted nicely into place. We will get that luck again some day.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk...y_of_snow.shtml

Couldn't agree more with your statement SF.

This slight warming in the climate over last 40 years or so could quite easily be reversed in next few years. And then we'll be back to slightly colder winters.

Last year's winter was pretty cold in BTL, compared to last 20 years and the first 10 days of Feb were the snowiest for a very long time, but it wasn't quite cold enough for the snow to last or stay 'frozen'. If we suffered same weather this winter, but temps were just a degree or so lower we'd have a classic.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

but hey im not taking away the effort that you guys put into your forecast ive gotta face facts that sometimes those i least agree with are most likely right after all ie ian brown gray wolf ect ect.

and yes this is a prolonged winter is over i throw in the towel :yahoo:

Face what facts? I wasn't aware that anyone on here had a crystal ball and can predict the weather with certainty, in fact JH says in his opening sentences that he is more comfortable with 12 hours to 12 days, never mind 3 months. And although I

think we will see colder winters sooner than some might think, most people on here will probably be dead before the full picture is known anyway. It wouldn't be suprising at all to see an ice free planet again, and then another 'trigger' that reintroduces the ice as has happened again and again and again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, even a 'modest' increase (+0.5C) in baseline winter temps raises the snowline by 200ft or thereabouts, turning what were previously considered 'marginal' events into non-events in most areas...

How much more widespread would Feb's event have been had the snowline been 200ft lower down?