Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiny_Bottom_1

Thoughts On New Car...

Which One Would You Choose  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Next Car

• Audi A3 (5dr) - 1.6d Sport
    • Seat Leon (5dr) - 2.0d FR
    • VW Golf (5dr) - 2.0d GT (140)
    • Mazda 6 (5dr) - 2.0d TS2 (163)

Well, we're a little confused after racking our brains, but have wittled our list down to a few cars.

We had a look yesterday, and of course, had to bear in mind of toddler SB1, and whether we may have another child in the next 4 years.

We decided that 3 doors was too difficult (gutting, as we loved the Scirroco), and weighed up the best of power and kit, and importantly then comparing these against the cost per month of tax and fuel.

I won't post the whole list of options - its a little long.

So we've got it down to 4:

Audi A3 - 5dr - Sport

1.6d (105ps)

Approx 68mpg

Approx saving per month against current car (Tax and Fuel) = £80

Seat Leon - 5dr - FR

2.0d (170ps)

Approx 53mpg

Approx saving per month against current car (Tax and Fuel) = £22

VW Golf - 5dr - GT

2.0d (140ps)

Approx 57mpg

Approx saving per month against current car (Tax and Fuel) = £32

Mazda 6 - 5dr - TS2

2.0d (163ps)

Approx 51mpg

Approx saving per month against current car (Tax and Fuel) = £11

The only other two up for consideration is a BMW 316d ES and A£ 5dr 1.6d S-Line. The problem is, I will then need to 'top-up' at just under £8 per month over the 4 year lease for the BMW, and about £15 per month for the A3. The savings would still be about £50 a month for the BMW and £65 per month for the A3.

But will leave these for now.

So, any thoughts etc would be appreciated.

Will book some test drives of these soon too.

All good sensible choices SB1 and three from the Volkswagen stable so you should be assured of reasonable build quality.

Very difficult when you boil it down, but I would go for the SEAT as I prefer a more 'spirited' drive which the extra go in the Spanish car should give you. I see you didn't pick a Skoda which is also a good alternative to those listed, with the same good Volkswagen build quality these days (Kent Police use them almost exclusively for general ops). The Audi would be the one to get the neighbours curtains twitching when it's parked on your drive although I prefer the looks of the Mazda - the Golf is probably the best compromise in that list you have drawn up.

Cheers Toastie Coastie.

Similar thoughts to mine.

The Golf is for me Mr Reliable. So will probably end up being the choice if we dont like/can't make our minds up on the others.

The A3 you get the badge, but was more of an interest with the S-Line (but could only get the 3-door version on the list, or pay a £33 a month privalge on a top up option). The equipment is ok, but nothing more special than the golf (although reading on it, the golf GT doesnt have dual climate control - I like driving cool, MRS SB1 likes it like a sauna :)). Its just blimin' economical

The Leon for me is fab. The looks, the power and ok fuel consumption and tax. But, Mr Sensible comes in and think about the savings on the Audi.

The Mazda 6 is really the only car of the large family we like. There are passats, but all are the 110ps. Basic specs, so no climate control again, except one, but this has the old 110ps engine in, so it then becomes more expensive to get, hence why I would rather pay the same and get the Mazda 6.

Although, when we went to the Audi garage yesterday, Mrs SB1 drooled when she saw the A8 outside the front door.

I've just added the new BMW 316d. Just waiting to hear back about the top-up, and just in case, I thought worth a consideration.

Edit - And taken off again :ph34r: It ain't going to happen.

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have gone for the Audi?

Great savings overall, but not spec'd too high and diesel engine sounds a little sluggish?

Have you got one yet?

I would certainly go for the Leon.

I have an Ibiza which I love, and I think my next car will be a Leon.

I think you'd get much more for your money than with the Golf or Audi, and under the body it's quite a similar car.

The Mazda is nice but personally I don't think it's got the sporty looks which the FR has. I wish I could get an FR for my next car but insurance at my age will be too much, maybe the car after next!

Golf or Leon, Although the Golf 'can' have turbo problems(PD Engine thing) They are superb to drive and very comfortable. The leons in my opinion aren't as comfortable.

Plenty of poke in the golf engine and lots of torque. Only real things to look out for with them are again the Turbo problems they can have and the front suspension arms have problems with quick replacement of the rear bushes sometimes, front arm rear bushes that is :doh:

Thanks MCT and DB.

Went for the Audi in the end.

Bearing in mind its a company car (so need to look at tax and fuel costs), the Audi saved me £50 on the rivals above. The sport was actually better equipped than the golf, and about the same as the Seat (probably one or two differences).

Hopefully will get it at the end of the month, although current projection is mid-Jan10.

If it was a personal purchase, I would have gone for the Leon. VW have really dropped the specs on some of the cars (fog lights no longer standard on the golf (I think) until you get to the GTD model.

If it was a personal purchase, I would have gone for the Leon. VW have really dropped the specs on some of the cars (fog lights no longer standard on the golf (I think) until you get to the GTD model.

if it was a personal choice then it would be the Audi every time..simply they are all basically the same car except the mazda 6..as they are all owned by VW..Audi retain their value much better than the VW golf which is much better against the Leon.

The standard Leon doesn't have fog lights either, I'm quite surprised the 1.6 Audi is better on fuel than a turbo-diesel Golf.

Oh 1.6d, my bad! :fool: