Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Video Cards And Games

My son's just bought himself a new computer game (Medal of Honour Airbourne) and it's not running, saying the video card isn't compatible.

The machine has an Nvida GEForce 6600 LE and the game says it requires a GEForce 6600 GT or higher. Is there any way of tricking the game into thinking I've got a 6600 GT, or changing anything in any settings anywhere to get this to work?

If not, would his machine support a higher graphics card? It's a Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 1gb of RAM running XP Home Edition.

Thanks awfully,

OON & Jnr

Nope no way of tricking it. It'll be a agp slot as well and you can still get those cards just. www.overclockers.co.uk

An AGP slot? Is a 6600 GT an AGP slot graphics card?

Will PC World have anything suitable?

The agp slot is on the motherboard. Most video cards are now pci express. You'll be lucky to find a agp Nvidea card. Overclockers have one and thats a lower spec than what you got. The 6600GT is very old card.

You can try pcworld but it'll cost you more but at least you can take it back more easily.

Only agp cards stocked by pcworld are here http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadeihmjkffhcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=SimpleSearchProducts&low_bound=0&up_bound=0&criterion=AGP&AtimeStamp=3432611504

You'd be looking at the ATI card.

An AGP slot? Is a 6600 GT an AGP slot graphics card?

Will PC World have anything suitable?

AGP cards are thin on the ground now OON.....believe it or not, the low-range agp cards are easier to get hold of than the decent AGP cards...however, I found this card its a geforce 7300GT, which is just about the best AGP card available and very good value at £40....it wont run recent games, but will handle Medal of Honour quite well, if your son wants to play recent games on his PC, unfortunatley it will mean a major hardware upgrade....hope this helps :)....scrub that...its pci-e...doh!...will search again!

ah, sorry posted wrong link...this is the one you want Geforce 7300GT AGP, £49.... linky

there's one currently on ebay.... link...currently got about an hour left on the bid, currently £36...good price!

AGP cards are thin on the ground now OON.....believe it or not, the low-range agp cards are easier to get hold of than the decent AGP cards...however, I found this card its a geforce 7300GT, which is just about the best AGP card available and very good value at £40....it wont run recent games, but will handle Medal of Honour quite well, if your son wants to play recent games on his PC, unfortunatley it will mean a major hardware upgrade....hope this helps :)....scrub that...its pci-e...doh!...will search again!

ah, sorry posted wrong link...this is the one you want Geforce 7300GT AGP, £49.... linky

Out of stock.

Anyway since 00n is rich he should go out and buy his son a new pc. :)

He doesn't play new games...just the sort that cost a tenner in Game. My office computer has a Radeon X1950 dual output thingy which, I assume, would run most things wouldn't it? It would run this game surely?

I have thought about replacing the house computer as Mrs OON does all her teaching planning on it, but to get a base unit with a decent graphics card is going to cost a bit isn't it?

Out of stock.

Anyway since 00n is rich he should go out and buy his son a new pc. :)

see edited post.... :)

He doesn't play new games...just the sort that cost a tenner in Game. My office computer has a Radeon X1950 dual output thingy which, I assume, would run most things wouldn't it? It would run this game surely?

I have thought about replacing the house computer as Mrs OON does all her teaching planning on it, but to get a base unit with a decent graphics card is going to cost a bit isn't it

it depends on how much money you mean by 'cost a bit'....have a look at this thread .....might help a bit, some ideas there on what a decent graphics card is, and how much for a new decent PC

Brilliant...thanks AJ. I've put a bid in for that card and if I don't get it, I'll buy it new. It'll be worth it because otherwise he'll lock himself to my work machine!

I've told him that he can use it tomorrow as I've got some work to do which I can do on my laptop anyway...it WILL work with my Radeon X1950 won't it?

Thanks again.

OON when you upgrade your graphics card you need to make sure the PSU (power supply) in your machine is up to the task aswell. I upgraded my computer a few weeks back because the psu and graphics card were way below standards for todays gaming. It had a 275watt psu and a 7050 graphics card. I bought a new 8800GTS graphics card for £50 and a new 750watt psu for £40 and my computer is so much better now.

If I had bought that graphics card and kept my old 275watt psu the computer wouldn't have been able to hack it and would have broken, so upgrading the psu was a must.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought the sodding game. Jnr's come into the office with me as I've some work to do and he's trying to play the game on my work machine while I work on the laptop. The work machine is a pretty decent spec...dual core, lots of RAM, decent graphics card, etc etc, but it freezes all the time. If it's not freezing, big bars (looking a bit like girders) seem to appear out of nowhere. I've done a search on the internet but all the advice I can find is written by greasy-haired beardy useless fat geeks who wear those full-length leather jackets and think Dumbledore is a real person, in a way that makes you feel completely inadequate for not knowing that of course EA games struggle with SLI unless you disengange the VPU rendering in Direct X beta.

I never had this problem with Sonic the Hedgehog.

I think I might just bung the graphics card back on Ebay and buy him the game for the Wii instead!

EDIT - I've just switched all the settings to low and altered the resolution to what the screen is normally set at, and it seems to work.

I suppose I could have asked for advice in Game yesterday where I bought it, but I was being served by a woman and what would she have known?

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought the sodding game. Jnr's come into the office with me as I've some work to do and he's trying to play the game on my work machine while I work on the laptop. The work machine is a pretty decent spec...dual core, lots of RAM, decent graphics card, etc etc, but it freezes all the time. If it's not freezing, big bars (looking a bit like girders) seem to appear out of nowhere. I've done a search on the internet but all the advice I can find is written by greasy-haired beardy useless fat geeks who wear those full-length leather jackets and think Dumbledore is a real person, in a way that makes you feel completely inadequate for not knowing that of course EA games struggle with SLI unless you disengange the VPU rendering in Direct X beta.

I never had this problem with Sonic the Hedgehog.

I think I might just bung the graphics card back on Ebay and buy him the game for the Wii instead!

EDIT - I've just switched all the settings to low and altered the resolution to what the screen is normally set at, and it seems to work.

I suppose I could have asked for advice in Game yesterday where I bought it, but I was being served by a woman and what would she have known?

rofl.gifrofl.gif

This why i just stick to the PS3 for gaming :( You just by the console and you need no changes. Still i like to have the odd game on the PC, last one i put on sort of messed it up though... oops.gif

When was the last time you upgraded the video drivers ???

This afternoon!

This why i just stick to the PS3 for gaming laugh.gif You just by the console and you need no changes.
That's why I'm not buying the kids any games unless they're Wii or DS too!

LMAO at the long haired long leather coat bit. Hasn't your son got an Xbox360 or PS3? It would be much easier buying him like an Xbox360 for about 150 quid and he will be happy for years then.

LMAO at the long haired long leather coat bit. Hasn't your son got an Xbox360 or PS3? It would be much easier buying him like an Xbox360 for about 150 quid and he will be happy for years then.

until the Xbox 720 or PS4 comes out..... :winky: .....ah, the joys of parenting! spending hundreds of pounds every 2 or 3 years for the most fashionable console/computer! :doh:

He's got a Wii, he's got a DS, there's water in the tap and he can go and run around the garden if he's bored.

So you never did get around to finishing laying the track for "his" trainset then?

He's got a Wii, he's got a DS, there's water in the tap and he can go and run around the garden if he's bored.

Kids running round the garden if bored. That isn't right. Shouldn't they be smashing up the local neighborhood. :winky:

My son walks around the village in full camouflage gear with a big Nerf Blaster slung over his back with a strap he made from an elasticated s-belt, so he manages to look menacing and slightly pathetic at the same time.

I got the graphics card today and it, and the game, work fine.

Now, does anyone want a GEForce 6600?