Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

When Is Disabled Parking Bay Not A Disabled Parking Bay?

My mother disabled as well as suffering from dementia. Anyway I took her to visit her friend at a nursing home and parked in the disabled bay and displayed the badge. Anyway while she was inside I sat outside another driver turned up in one of those buses they use to collect people just to drop stuff off.

He then started grumbling about me being parked in a disabled spot and I said yes a disabled person was using the vehicle. He still chunted on and looked rather annoyed. Anyway I decided the cut the visit short as I was slightly annoyed at the guy and having an altercation would probably get me banned from the place.

Anyway I emailed the place asking for clarification whether I can use it or not.

I know how you feel Pit.

My mum has just been issued a Disabled Parking Permit for anyone who takes her to the hospital or anywhere she needs to go through the macmillan nurses as she has cancer.

Yesterday was the 1st time we had used it and I parked in a disabled bay at the hospital and put the cards in the window.

When we got out the looks we were getting from people who were trying to find parking spaces was awful.

My poor mum said she felt like a fraud using it.

Just because some people with Disabled Parking Permits can walk doesn't mean they aren't entitled to them and i'm sure people assume they shouldn't have them because they can walk.

Surely it wouldn't be hard to have both disabled badge holder parking and a bus drop-off point?!

Mrs Kar's father has a disabled badge due to having heart failure and can barely walk a few yards. All the family use the card from time to time depending on who is ferrying him around.

Unless you see him getting in and out of the car it's not possible to know if anyone in the car is disabled

Most peoples distrust for disabled parking comes from the fact that there is so much fraudulant ownership of permits or numpties who just blatently disregard the disabled bays.

Only the other day I saw an asswipe park in a disabled spot outside Sainsburys, leap out of his Rangerover to use the ATM.

Mrs Kar had to talk me out of confronting him as I was about to ask if his disability was an inability to either see or read! :)

My partner has a motability car and blue badge and we've never had a problem parking in disabled bays regarless of who is driving. If there are no disabled bays free then we use a parent/child space if possible since the bays are usually wider.

Part of the problem may be that most people think that such parking bays are for disabled drivers only: they're not, they're for vehicles used by disabled people (and I hate that term) whether drivers or passengers, but if it's a badge related to a passenger, the driver can't use it unless actually driving the disabled passenger around.

I suspect in Pit's case, it was more about the fact that the chap driving the bus was cross at having to manoeuvre people with limited mobility that bit further, rather than a claim that you had no right to park there (not having been there, naturally, I don't know that for certain).

If it happens again, might I suggest that you use the disabled space to ensure that your Mum gets the easiest drop off, but then - if the man with the bus for other residents turns up - move your car so that he can equally not have to make his passengers walk too far?

Part of the problem may be that most people think that such parking bays are for disabled drivers only: they're not, they're for vehicles used by disabled people (and I hate that term) whether drivers or passengers, but if it's a badge related to a passenger, the driver can't use it unless actually driving the disabled passenger around.

I suspect in Pit's case, it was more about the fact that the chap driving the bus was cross at having to manoeuvre people with limited mobility that bit further, rather than a claim that you had no right to park there (not having been there, naturally, I don't know that for certain).

If it happens again, might I suggest that you use the disabled space to ensure that your Mum gets the easiest drop off, but then - if the man with the bus for other residents turns up - move your car so that he can equally not have to make his passengers walk too far?

The driver was delivering items not people and wanted to park up for the night. Also if he used the disabled spot he would be further away from the entrance.

Funny isn't it you don't worry about disabled parking until you need it, Disabled badges in Lancashire where my gf's mum did live allowed you to park anywhere you wanted, literally.

I know this is an old thread but thought this post may help some Blue Badge holders

Pit didn’t do anything wrong in parking where he did and was in his right to park there till his mother came back, but i think there is an unwritten rule where if you drop someone off, don’t sit in the car in the disabled parking bay and wait fir them to return.. park nearby where you can wait for your mother to return then drive back to pick her up. This way it will keep the bay free for others to use and maybe one day you may profit from others using the bay in this way.

Not all Blue Badge users use a wheelchair, and long as you display your Badge don’t worry what others think.

All badges come with a photo of the user on, so you can always show any one it is your badge if you so wish.

Always remember to set your Blue Badge Clock and display your badge the right way up.. photo down badge number on display.

Always check when using pay and display parking some are free some are not.

I know this is an old thread but thought this post may help some Blue Badge holders

Pit didn’t do anything wrong in parking where he did and was in his right to park there till his mother came back, but i think there is an unwritten rule where if you drop someone off, don’t sit in the car in the disabled parking bay and wait fir them to return.. park nearby where you can wait for your mother to return then drive back to pick her up. This way it will keep the bay free for others to use and maybe one day you may profit from others using the bay in this way.

Not all Blue Badge users use a wheelchair, and long as you display your Badge don’t worry what others think.

All badges come with a photo of the user on, so you can always show any one it is your badge if you so wish.

Always remember to set your Blue Badge Clock and display your badge the right way up.. photo down badge number on display.

Always check when using pay and display parking some are free some are not.

I wasn't sat in it I was sat outside the home when he came grumbling and groaning. At the end of day he was in the wrong sadly the management failed to deal with the prat.

I'm sure there are lots of ligitimate users. Round my way it seems to be abused as an excuse to park on double yellow lines to avoid paying to park. Tonight there was a blue badge holder parked next to a school crossing point on single yellow line but half on half off the pavement. So not only obscuring the view of trafic and crossers, it also prevented anyone in a wheelchair or pushchair getting past. Very unhelpful.

I'm not trying to say that all people abuse the system, I'm sure it's the minority. It's the selfish few who spoil it for the rest :aggressive:

Hi The Pit.. my post was to “try†and say if anyone has a Blue Badge please USE IT and don’t let that PRAT or other like him put you off. :good:

My local Bank has two disabled parking bays in front. It also has a sign saying For Bank Customers Only.

Can I therefore use the disabled parking bays when the Bank is closed?

My local Bank has two disabled parking bays in front. It also has a sign saying For Bank Customers Only.

Can I therefore use the disabled parking bays when the Bank is closed?

Probably if you've got a blue badge and go to the cash till.