Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Most Memorable Weather Event Of The 2000S?

Posted

I posted this thread on a couple of other sites

The 2000s are drawing to a close and we will soon be in the 2010s, so what would be your most memorable weather of this decade? Its a very tricky one, you got the August 2003 heatwave, the summer 2007 floods, the October 2000 storm etc..

For me, the post-Christmas 2000 December snowfall. I watched the snow come down thick and fast in the early hours, leaving a winter wonderland scene.

Most memorable thunderstorm for me was 2nd July 2006 which leads to the most memorable summer spell of the decade: July 2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

2009, snow 1 foot deep... melting to an inch overnight due to a warm sector... temperatures were at 0c but it was raining throughout the night. But a few days before or after, i was at Snowdon farming icicle's in snow past my knees!!!

Edited by Hancock

Posted

1st of july 2009.

that system sat over me for nearly 2 hrs.

massive damage up here.

i was trapped inside one of the polytunnels throughout lol.

Edited by peterf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

February 2005, significant snow on over 10 days, 6 inches at one point. Duration of the cold spell was memorable though, not the severity. June 19th 2005 had one of the best storms I've ever seen in the Northeast though in terms of cg lightning, and 31st August 2005 had a supercell - the only one I can recall for Newcastle.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

My top 3:

2003 heatwave yahoo.gif

2006 heatwave yahoo.gif

2009 snow yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Nothing really to mention really in sheffield.We had the big flood couple of years ago but nothing i class as unusual.Thats the problem growing up in the 60,and 70s. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

January 2007 for extreme winds.

October 2008 for the snow.

February 2009 for snow.

July 2005 for the Birmingham tornado.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well it's got to be the floods in 2007.

Also watching my neighbors roof dance in a unforecast gale one night. Amazingly nothing blew off.

Lack of Snow.

Posted

2000 the sheer amount of rain in october. A very wet warm year

2001. Unmemorable. For some reason the sun, frosts and eventual snow in December sticks out

2002. Forgettable aside from the world cup of course. Felt very warm with hardly any winter weather at all. Not a great summer. Mild Autumn with a damaging gale in October.

2003. Memorable. January and February snow and frosts. Heatwaves March - September. Very hot days in April, June, July and August. The best summer ever. Chilly October with a few frosts. Again December sticks out as being sunny and fairly cool.

2004. Thunder snow event in January. A very cool day in July with gales and rain.

2005. Similar to 2002, not a great deal happened. very warm again. Torrential rain in September. Once again a sunny frosty December.

2006 A great year. A cold extended winter then warm from May-September. Amazing July and an unseasonably warm Autumn. Some good rime displays in December with some frost but seemed dull comapred to what we had.

2007. Amazing April for heat. The summer floods and rain.

2008. Classic year. Best year of the decade. Warm days in February but with very cold nights. A rather wintrier first half of Spring then very warm. A cooler feeling June and summer as a whole but not bad. Phenomenal cold snap late October with frosts and snow. Some cold weather In December and sunny again.

2009. Frosts in January, good snow event in February. Very warm spring. A pleasant summer.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me:

• Late December 2000 cold snap in Tyneside. It had a very strong "Christmassy" atmosphere about it, and early on the 29th, there was thundersnow.
  • Early March 2001 cold snap in Tyneside. 8cm snow, and the temperature fell below -10C on the 3rd despite being right near the east coast.
  • The exceptional sunshine of February & March 2003 in Lancaster.
  • July 2006 in Leeds, which was unparalelled for its combination of heat, sunshine and convective storms.
  • The anticyclonic spell of 8-20 February 2008 in Norwich. Not only was it an unusually "sunny" high, but the spell also had many spectacular sunsets.
  • The 22-23 November 2008 snowstorm in Norwich. That weekend on the UEA campus was mayhem with all sorts of mischief going on in the snow.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

2000's - poor in general although picked up 2008-2009

Summer of 2007 for the sheer dread of going to work day after day and working in endless rain!! That really was the point at which i started to consider relocating to a different country altogether! unknw.gif

First week of febuary 2009 for the snow that came down every day of week leaving us with 2 foot of level snow which is most non drifted snow i have ever seen and a pure breath of fresh air after the wests snow drought that lasted for years.

seen one white xmas in early 2000's although not sure of the year. The 1990's i had seen 4 white xmas though which really puts the measley one to shame.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

For me it would have to be the polar low that gave some snow in late December 2000. I really enjoyed that xmas period-plenty of cold weather,some snow,frost and ice. It sure felt very seasonal that yrsmile.gif

Posted

It`s a pick between these in no particular order except by year.

April 2000 for one of the deepest spring snowstorm.

July 2001 for one the most amazing display of mid-level thunderstorms.

For the wrong reasons the october 2002 storm.

2003 really for the hottest april day ever or the lightning snow short blizzard in January.

2004 for the memorable august thunderstorms,deepest snow on xmas day.

2005 for the late february easterly with lots of snow showers but it wasn`t like easterlies of old, or the June thunderstorm with continuous thunder.

2006 The late feb/March cold spell highlight that year.

2007 Need I say more either Jan storm/feb 1foot of snow or the severe summer thunderstorms/floods.

2008 October snow and bitter cold.

2009 February snow longest lying snow for quite awhile.

Now which one shall I pick out of all those. :whistling:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

For me only one real event 28 1 04 the Polar Low, rain,lightning,thunder, wind increase, whiteout quite incredible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

It has to be the late winter cold spell of Feb/Mar.05 but not for its severity.

The fact of witnessing snow falling on consecutive days for nearly 2 weeks, albeit mostly in flurry form. I would suggest, for a London Borough, its highly unlikely even in the depths of our most snowiest winters.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050221.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050303.gif

The thundersnow of Jan.04.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040128.gif

The few "Thames Snow Streamer" events that have occurred during the first decade of this century.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2003/Rrea00120030108.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050222.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090202.gif

Do you think I have a slight bias towards snow events? :whistling:

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Most memorable snow events -

28 Dec 2000 - awoke to about 4 inches of very powdery snow, and maxes below freezing, I went walking up Helvellyn , superb wintry conditions that day.

12 March 2006 - awoke to heavy snow in Newcastle and I took part in a half marathon in Redcar with snow coming down all day.

Most memorable summer event -

mid July 2006, I was at home for a few days in Windermere, and it was unusually hot, it felt positively continental a true hheatwave, much better than Aug 2003.

Overall the event for Cumbria was the damaging storm of 8 Jan 2005, which wreaked havoc across the county, Carlisle being inundated with rain, it changed the local landscape with many trees uprooted and new ravines created of boulders and debris, it was a dark day indeed.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

For here in SW London two dates stand out -

In second place, Feb 1-2 this year, for a very acceptable 8 inches of snow on the back of the (for once) perfectly positioned Thames streamer. Slightly spoiled by it not hanging around for long enough for me to get fed up with it - what I really like is some subsequent seriously low temperatures over the snowfield, and that we didn't get at all.

But in first place, without a doubt, the electrifying (literally) thundersnow of 28 Jan 2004 - though curiously, in view of the name, I don't much remember the presumably muffled sound. It was the incredibly rapid transition from rain and sleet at about 7C to heavy blizzard conditions at around zero, all in the space of a minute or two, and accompanied by a stream of bright green flashes through the swirling white. Highly dramatic, as memorable in its way as the great wind of October '87. My only disappointment was that I was in the bath when it started, and by the time I'd got to my camera, although it was still snowing a bit, the real drama was over.

Ossie

Edited by osmposm

Posted

Yep! The Snow of Feb 09 wins hands down the only time in my life I can say I actually wanted it to stop snowing. Once it got to about 2 and half foot it wasn't so pretty anymore :whistling:

Edited by HighPressure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think if you really had to dig deep I would say the summer heatwave of 2003 and snow of 2009 - the snow depth I had never seen like that in my memorable life time at least and heat like that in 2003 I had never remembered experiencing. However, there is at least one memorable event per year:

2000 - October/November storms and floods

2001 - July 4th Thunderstorms

2002 - October 27th-28th gales

2003 - August heatwave

2004 - January 28th thundersnow

2005 - June 24th/28th thunderstorms or July 28th tornado in Birmingham

2006 - June and July prolonged warmth/heat

2007 - April summer and abysmal summer

2008 - Late October snowfall

2009 - most likely: cold winter with February snowfall ++

Posted

3 more events I should`ve added the torrential thunderstorms July 2008,this July torrential morning storms another record,and March 2001 snowfall.

But the 2 months hightlight of the decade,I Can`t just pick 1 is for late february 2006 and March for the drifting snow of the decade :lol: and summer month June 2007 the most dramatic month of the decade for all sorts of weather mainly torrential thunderstorms,Or august 2004 come to that.

Feb 2009 is close too.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

well there are plenty more memorable events that never came off here than did - Middle of January this year, Feb 2nd-3rd this year etc

but the highlights are: August '03 (getting sunburned while wearing factor 40!)

Late Feb- March snowfall in '05

Intense cold and snow at christmas-new year 2000

Beautiful frozen cold days in Edinburgh New Year 08-09

Rains of '04

12th March 2006 was the highest snow depth I can vividly recall, with about 7 inches outside!

and the January Storm of 2005 (i think), which was the closest thing to an 87' storm event I've seen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Without any doubt it's gotta be July 2006 - in fact the whole May-September 2006 was fantastic (well bar the fairly average August).

I felt like the UK's summer weather had modified itself from the usual unreliable averageness into something you could rely on to be almost always warm, dry & sunny.

Weeks of blazing hot sunshine coupled with some great thunderstorms slowly decaying into a nice warm autumn was as good as it gets for me. Shame the August spoiled it a little - I distinctly remember being cold down in London on an August night that year - not having been used to needing any kind of coat/jacket at all that summer.

One thing I really liked that summer - and the thing I've not experienced since - was the feeling of the sun being around 'all' the time. Go to the shops - the sun is out, go to work - the sun is out, go to the pub - yep the sun is out. The last few rainy/cloudy summers have not given that feeling at all, despite some nice spells.

Here's to a reliably sunny summer 2010!

Other notable events I can remember were the 2003 heatwave (working in a airless, dirty Argos stockroom = not fun!) and the snow fall last winter.

The freezing inversion of December 2005 (I think) that went on for almost the whole month (giving sunshine totals near zero here) was pretty memorable too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

For me it's got to be the horrendously wet summer in 2000, I was working at a local ssemolinay hotel and they had a grand opening planned, everything had to be spick and span, including the grounds - I was laying turf. As fast as it was being laid it was floating off down the gentle incline, we had a line of folk with rakes holding it down until we worked our way to the bottom, hoping the ledge would hold it in place long enough. Needless to say it didn't take and had to be re-laid but it was alright on the night.

That and the foot or more of snow we had in February this year, that was fantastic!