Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kippure

Controlling The Internet

Some weird stuff here

Bascially under homeland security laws. They us Gov are now building the internet 2. Which means they will control the content of what you see and where you see it.

The internet will be subscription based and you will be charged by the mega byte. You will not be able to asscess the internet they way we do now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XaZFnQMME

Surfing around the net suggests that (fortunately) it is probably a hoax.

Im an electronic / electrical engineer. I can tell you its very possible when i hear the likes of bell and telus getting together to do such a thing. Can you imagation the revenue they could bring in if they charged everyone who use,s the internet.

The internet can be switched off like a light switch. Once you own the networks you can do anything you want.

I can see your point- especially with the way various aspects of internet use are going (online activation DRM and online pay-per-view for example) it's not implausible by any means.

I don't think any company would be able to get away with taking full control of the internet at the flick of a switch. What we have to be careful of, though, is the possibility of something like that being phased in gradually in small increments (the rise of DRM happened this way for instance).

The Internet wont be fun once the government starts controlling it and bans access to most if not all weather and climate papers! :)

Don't we already pay for Internet use ..... :nea:

It's already censored in every country to some degree ..... :hi:

And are we not going to have 'broadband tax' so it will even be taxed .... twice in the UK :(

Been a user of and techie on the 'interweb' since the early 90's, seen things come and go and the single thing that has always been lurking around is "Who owns it ...?" reminds me of a famous movie line ".. he who controls the spice controls the Universe .." and arguably now the planet relies on the IP protocol to practically survive he who owns the largest IP network will control the world :whistling:

KjF

Don't we already pay for Internet use ..... nea.gif

It's already censored in every country to some degree ..... hi.gif

And are we not going to have 'broadband tax' so it will even be taxed .... twice in the UK sad.gif

Been a user of and techie on the 'interweb' since the early 90's, seen things come and go and the single thing that has always been lurking around is "Who owns it ...?" reminds me of a famous movie line ".. he who controls the spice controls the Universe .." and arguably now the planet relies on the IP protocol to practically survive he who owns the largest IP network will control the world whistling.gif

KjF

Indeed we pay for the use of the internet, but soon we will be told what we can veiw or shall i put it this way..we will only be able to veiw what they want us to see. I know it sounds a little crazy but its going that way.

In china the internet is strictly controlled and you can only veiw what you have on offer. Imagtion that world wide?

I think the idea is that "they" limit our ability to share vast amounts of information with each other.

Look at the way microsoft are buying up social networking sites like facebook for example.

All i can say is i see a twin towers type sernario hitting the internet and that it will be an excuse to control it.

I see one corporation running the internet soon, thats all im saying. You ability for free speech will have been dealt a massive blow.

The Internet wont be fun once the government starts controlling it and bans access to most if not all weather and climate papers! wallbash.gif

That's right,and once again 'global warming' will become rampant and unchallengable. We're all doomed from a misinformation overload.