Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cookie

England Game Sat

anyone any ideas why it isn't on tv at all?

no where to be seen, its a full qualifier

The internet is increasingly being used as an avenue to use copyrights & licensing to make people pay extra for things that they used to get for free. No surprises there then.

Nothing short of disgusting. Anybody tempted to pay a fiver to watch this game, DON'T. Listen to it on the radio. Don't let them force you to pay to watch your national team on a dodgy (and 5 min lag) stream.

Football is no longer dying - it is dead.

Yes what an outrage, who wants to pay a fiver to watch a youtube low quality stream which might disconnect just when we score a goal

Even a 26` monitor which most people don't have wouldnt be as good as a large plasma/LCD screen and even if people hook up their laptop or PC to their HDTV which is a hassle it will just show up the low quality stream even more, i want to watch it in HD not like ITV SD football matches in blurovision, ITV HD saves matches for me on ITV.

Pretty useless as well. Even on cable I wouldn't bother watching it as the quality will be manure. At the present time until we do get proper high speed internet TV broadcasting via the internet is really a no no.

Yeah, because having the players looking sharp makes them play better.

So we - in a modern country - should be forced to watch our national team (one of the best in the world) on a sub-standard, repeatedly buffering, laggy and costly stream?

Nobody ever said having a better quality picture makes the players play better.

I find it amazing that the BBC/ITV/SKY haven't bought the rights to show the match. Good job it isn't a vital game for us now, if we needed a point/3 to qualify it would be even worse.

I find it amazing that the BBC/ITV/SKY haven't bought the rights to show the match. Good job it isn't a vital game for us now, if we needed a point/3 to qualify it would be even worse.

If it was a vital game then I am certain one of the TV channels would have had it.

In cases like this, I think of the main problem as being the "slippery slope potential" rather than the individual instance. People can say, not without justification, "it isn't a big deal because it isn't a vital game", but if it proves a commercial success, won't they be tempted to do the same for more important games in future?

The idea of "giving consumers more choice" is laughable- instead of having a choice of "watch on TV or on the pub or on some internet sites", it's "watch on an internet subscription service or nothing"? Sounds like giving consumers less choice.

radio 5 live will be the place for me.

Somehow I think it'll be a flop.

I agree, Pit. But then it was pencilled in for Setanta to show until it went belly up.

I can't really blame the BBC/ITV/Channel 4 for not taking the opportunity to buy the rights to it as it is of little consequence anyway. Win, lose or draw to the Ukraine will be purely academic. We are in South Africa next year so maybe none of the terrestrial channels (including Sky) thought why waste the money.

And besides, who out of ITV and the BBC would sacrifice their little Saturday night 'gems' known as the X Factor and Strictly Come Prancing respectively?

I'd rather watch the football personally but I'm not shelling out £5+ for the priviledge.

This in fact could set a new precedent as to how we view live games in future. But no point until we have super fast broadband available to everyone. (20Mbps+) When ITV made that faux pas of going into the adverts after Everton scored a goal in a then crucial game, imagine what it will be like with an overloaded server(s) dropping out every so often then taking a good minute or to to rebuffer.

Besides, there are no doubt some foreign websites that will probably show it for free.

Phil.

Besides, there are no doubt some foreign websites that will probably show it for free.

And that will always be the major flaw in this plan. In fact, the illegal streams will probably be more reliable and better quality!

That's always part of the problem. The prevailing antipiracy ethos is that we need to clamp down on piracy and that ever-tightening copyrights are a necessary evil (making people pay for things that used to be free), in effect expanding the range of activities that are considered piracy.

This has two side-effects: one, it increases the extent of the perceived problem, and two, it encourages people to resort to it in order to get things for free that they always used to get free before the companies started charging for it.

What I don't want to see is people coming out with "get used to it, it's the future" regarding how we view football games, like they did with DRM for PC games.

Unfortunately Ian, I think that is the way it's going to be. See something for free then comes the exploitation, as is the case with tonights game.

"Ahaaa! We could make some kerchiiiing £:-) out of this." All corporate greed. Nothing more.

If the server crashes, do you get a refund? Now that is my question.

Phil.

That's always part of the problem. The prevailing antipiracy ethos is that we need to clamp down on piracy and that ever-tightening copyrights are a necessary evil (making people pay for things that used to be free), in effect expanding the range of activities that are considered piracy.

This has two side-effects: one, it increases the extent of the perceived problem, and two, it encourages people to resort to it in order to get things for free that they always used to get free before the companies started charging for it.

What I don't want to see is people coming out with "get used to it, it's the future" regarding how we view football games, like they did with DRM for PC games.

Well I am going to be watching the England match on an "illegal"site, I should be able to watch my national team without having to pay a stupid fee for one match.

And as soon as the authorities come out with that attitude I will be abandoning professional football for good.

I just feel sorry for the pubs this weekend. They are taking a hammering as it is, and now they can't even show the match properly. Huddling around a PC screen isn't the same as watching it on telly (unless you have the know-how and equipment to get it on TV, I do but it's really not worth the hassle for a fairly meaningless game!).

I agree, Nick.

Imagine a WBA v Birmingham City FA Cup semi final. (Highly unlikely but then never say never!) :D

Although with that daft Scot Alex McCleish 4-5-1 current set up, you'd probably win 7-0 anyway, and that's at half time!)

But seriously, would you pay to watch via www? Not me.

Phil.

I agree, Nick.

Imagine a WBA v Birmingham City FA Cup semi final. (Highly unlikely but then never say never!) biggrin.gif

Although with that daft Scot Alex McCleish 4-5-1 current set up, you'd probably win 7-0 anyway, and that's at half time!)

But seriously, would you pay to watch via www? Not me.

Phil.

Somewhere in the future...in a galaxy far far away....

To be fair though we did get to the semis in 2008 and only got knocked out thanks to a handball (yes I am still bitter!).

But no, I would be at Wembley eating the £5 pies! nonono.gif:D

£5 for a pie at Wembley, or is that at a group rate discount? Sod it, go to Asda or something and smuggle in your own says I. biggrin.gif

I remember said game. WBA v Portsmouth (I was rooting for the Baggies, honest!) Ref should have gone to Specsavers on three counts. Either that or he was obviously biased. (Brown Manila envelope perhaps?) Funny how Portsmouth under Harry Redknapp and Milan Baros. (I shouldn't have mentioned his name should I? Ooops!!) Was definite hand ball. I'm no Baggies supporter but, and confessionally, you are my third team, Walsall are my second. Come join us in 2010/11

Or will we join you? With that dozy Scot playing the never workable 4-5-1. 4-4-2 should be what he needs to do!! And give Kevin Phillips a proper start. I can see why in the PL prediction why most have Blues on a hiding to nothing v @rsenal. I don't blame them for thinking so as I have the same feeling.

Phil.

Radio here as well. Game stopped already by crowd trouble. Now if those were England fans calls for a ban would already be coming.

oh yes, im dreading to think what the 2012 European championship is going to be like.