Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Octobers 1992 And 1993

damianslaw

Posted

I don't have any statistics, however, I was reading about how October 1992 was a very below average month CET wise, more than 2 degrees I think, can any one verify this.... Mr Data?

I distinctly remember it being a cold month, with some early snowfall down to quite low levels on the hills and a number of mornings with frost.

1993 wasn't as cold, but it had a very cold spell around the 11-14th again don't have exact dates. I remember there being some sharp air frosts and wintry showers at low levels.

Other than 2003 and the end of last October, I don't believe we have come anywhere near in recent Octobers to recording as cold or wintry weather as we had in 1992 and 1993. The idea of getting a month 2 degrees below the CET nowadays seems inplausible, yet we were able to do this only as long ago as the early 90's, the only other time we have equalled such a feat to my knowledge was May 1996, Dec 1995 came close I think, and we were on course to see a month 2 degrees or more below in March 2006 but were scuppered by a very mild last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some recent Octobers have had comparably wintry weather to that experienced during Octobers 1992 and 1993, and late October 2008's wintry spell surpassed the lot. The key to Octobers 1992 and 1993, though, was that the cold weather of those months was more persistent, in contrast to the cold snap in late October 2008 which lasted only a few days.

October 1992 had a CET of 7.9 and was dominated by northerly and north-westerly winds, which brought some wintry showers to northern areas at times, notably in the third week and I recall reading that wet snow fell quite widely on the 25th from an Atlantic system. I must admit I don't remember October 1992 as it was just before I started taking weather records.

October 1993 had a CET of 8.5. The centrepiece of the cold of October 1993 was a remarkable northerly outbreak on the 13th-16th. The coldest air did not arrive until the northerly had largely run out of steam, but even so, wintry showers occurred to low ground in places from the Midlands northwards (e.g. sleet or snow was reported at Manchester on the 15th). Aberdeen had 4cm lying snow early on the 16th which was the first lying snow there in October since 1973. The northerly was followed by a prolonged spell of exceptionally cold nights and cool sunny days.

Some charts from October 1992:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1992/Rrea00119921015.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1992/Rrea00119921018.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1992/Rrea00119921025.gif

...and some from 1993:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119931013.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119931016.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119931021.gif

Posted

October 1992 was exceptionally cold here. It had a mean of 7.4C which was 2.5C below the 1961-1990 average.

It was most notable for its cold second half, with a mean of just 5.1C. Indeed, from the 13th onwards maxima didnt exceed 9.9C and minima 3.7C.

October 1993 was also notably cold, though this was mostly concentrated around the middle of the month (as TWS mentions). It was actually rather wintry and holds the record October minima of -1.9C since my records began in 1982. I dont remember myself, but snow apparently did fall here during that period.

What was interesting is that the potent cold spell of mid-October 1993 was followed by an equally impressive cold easterly in November 1993. It was certainly an interesting couple of Autumns - the two coldest here in the last 27 years in fact.

Posted

Thanks for both posts, interesting seeing synoptics, common factor very strong heights to the north west and sustained cold arctic northerly outbreaks - always quite a difficult synoptic to get, but when it occurs, it does have a habit of producing some very cold CET values.. my dream synoptics really, beats an easterly..

Posted

Yes, Octobers 1992 and 1993 were much below average in terms of temperature, and at times saw temperatures fall to levels typical of mid-winter, and in actual fact saw more in the way of notable cold spells than October 1974 did, which saw temps predominantly low throughout, without any major cold spells like Oct 1992 / 1993, second half Oct 2003 and late Oct 2008. October 1974 was definitely a very boring month considering it had a CET of only 7.8, and it virtually lacked any major cold spells!

It is certainly true that for many years we have not seen the sort of cold spells in October that were seen in years gone by, looking at the likes of late October 1926, and the second half of October 1895 and also October 1896 which had a CET of 6.9. Late October 1955 also had a sharp cold spell for the time of year I believe.

Following on from the cold Octobers of 1992 and 1993, both the winters were not cold overall but were mixed snow-wise. 1992-93 for most areas lacked snow overall, but 1993-94 saw respectable snowfall when compared to 1990s and 2000s standards.

The only cold spells in 1992-93 were from a Rex block (surface faux cold) in the second half of December and from a northerly at the end of February. Although winter 1993-94 wasn't cold overall it did have a cold wintry easterly spell in mid to late February with snow in many areas and some cold zonality for northern areas at least in December with some snow, and that following on from a notably cold second half of November, so althougth winter 1993-94 was slightly milder than average, it would still be seen as decent by 90s and 2000s standards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It is certainly true that for many years we have not seen the sort of cold spells in October that were seen in years gone by, looking at the likes of late October 1926, and the second half of October 1895 and also October 1896 which had a CET of 6.9. Late October 1955 also had a sharp cold spell for the time of year I believe.

My great great great great great great grandfather wrote about October 1740 and how cold it was when he ventured out to get his fish and chips,so he got his 3rd wife to do so, while wife 1 and 2 kept him warm.rolleyes.gif

I don't think we still know what caused 1740 to be such a cold year ? But a CET of 5.3c for October amazing stuff cold.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

October 1974 was definitely a very boring month considering it had a CET of only 7.8, and it virtually lacked any major cold spells!

Sleet and wet snow in the SE, 7th October 1974:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1974/Rrea00119741007.gif

Wintry showers in the N and E, maxima of 3 or 4C in places, 29/30 October 1974:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1974/Rrea00119741030.gif

I often wonder how potent those cold spells in October 1955 were. It looks like it was a very varied October, but the sources that discuss past months (e.g. Booty-weather, or Trevor Harley's analsysis) don't say much about it, and certainly say nothing about snowfalls. Some days produced CETs between 3 and 5C and the 31st had a CET of 1.8C- so not much less cold than the remarkable cold in the second half of October 1926.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551010.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551017.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551027.gif

The only cold spells in 1992-93 were from a Rex block (surface faux cold) in the second half of December and from a northerly at the end of February. Although winter 1993-94 wasn't cold overall it did have a cold wintry easterly spell in mid to late February with snow in many areas and some cold zonality for northern areas at least in December with some snow, and that following on from a notably cold second half of November, so althougth winter 1993-94 was slightly milder than average, it would still be seen as decent by 90s and 2000s standards.

You missed out the south-westerly (!!) incursion that brought widespread snowstorms to Scotland, Ireland and parts of northern England:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119930112.gif

Posted

I remember october cold spell well with that cold NW-ly with hail/sleet showers,flakes of wet snow on 4 days.

October 1993 gave nothing wintry at all here as it was dry,but with very sharp frosts down to -4c max of 4c

There was a thunderstorm at the beginning of the month though with hail. :)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119931004.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

October 1992 was the coldest since 1974 here which, in turn, was the coldest since 1922.

Although there were 4 days with sleet or snow falling in 1992 there was no lying snow, unlike both 1974 and 2000 which had 1 morning each with lying snow at 0900 g.m.t.

After the 13th the temperature didn't exceed 8.4c for the rest of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from the mid-month sledging with my kids in in '93, it was October 1974 that I remember most: heavy sleet in mid-month, light sleet on the 31st (?)...After that, trees were budding in December and I was mowing the grass on Xmas Day!!!

Then again, there was 6" of snow on Good Friday 1975... :)

Posted

Returning polar maritime air from cyclonic/southerly flows is a surprisingly frequent source of thunderstorms in western and southern areas, even in the winter half-year. Novembers 1997 and 2002 had a lot of thunder in some western and southern areas due to frequent recurrence of this setup towards the SW. October 1996 had 5 thunder-days at Exeter Airport because of the setup.

Spring is quite a common time of year for it as well, e.g. thunderstorms were widespread on 3 April 1998 and on 20-24 April 2000.

Posted

I often wonder how potent those cold spells in October 1955 were. It looks like it was a very varied October, but the sources that discuss past months (e.g. Booty-weather, or Trevor Harley's analsysis) don't say much about it, and certainly say nothing about snowfalls. Some days produced CETs between 3 and 5C and the 31st had a CET of 1.8C- so not much less cold than the remarkable cold in the second half of October 1926.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551010.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551017.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1955/Rrea00119551027.gif

Rotherham recorded a minimum of -3.3C on the 16th October 1955

A maximum of 8.9C in London also on the 16th

London Heathrow

30th Oct 1955 max: 7.4C

31st Oct 1955 min: -2.8C

Posted

Finningely figures around that time, in degrees F

15th=54

16th=28

17th=32

18th=29

19th=42

max temps same days=

no snow recorded in the month

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Returning polar maritime air from cyclonic/southerly flows is a surprisingly frequent source of thunderstorms in western and southern areas, even in the winter half-year. Novembers 1997 and 2002 had a lot of thunder in some western and southern areas due to frequent recurrence of this setup towards the SW. October 1996 had 5 thunder-days at Exeter Airport because of the setup.

Spring is quite a common time of year for it as well, e.g. thunderstorms were widespread on 3 April 1998 and on 20-24 April 2000.

Thunder in october here was october 1993(1day)1994(1)1996(1)2004(3days)2006(3days)so getting more common.

November 1991/1996 only 1 day each,a rare event here.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Can certainly vouch for that here in SW Wales - although October hasn't been that eventful the most memorable thunderstorm I can recall in recent years was last November. Last year's Rememberance Sunday storms here were the worst I can remember in at least the last 15 years, probably longer, with thunder heard from just before mid-day until after 6pm, and ball lightning was reported in a village less than 10 miles from my house: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7720630.stm

This was quite a localised event I think.

post-8245-12558982696063_thumb.gif

We also had thunder in February here in both 2007 and 2008, the 2007 event was a night-time cold front squall line set-up which was quite memorable too.

Posted

Reading over my other post I meant to say that October 2006 had 5 thunder-days at Exeter, not 1996! That said, quoting October 1996 wasn't the worst of mistakes as it did have a good example of the cyclonic south-westerly sunshine and showers setup around midmonth, with thunder for some.

Posted

...although October hasn't been that eventful..

Scratch that after yesterday, had a good 10 rumbles from a localised storm mid-afternoon here! From the ATD looks like we were the only area to get hit bar the extreme S / SE of England, though Met Office did have warnings out for East Wales rather than here in the west.