Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alpine Snow And Skiing Thread

J10

This is the new thread which will the home of the weekly Skiing Forecasts which are set to start in November this year.

In the meantime, please feel free to nominate resorts you want specific forecasts on if you are going on holiday, and to suggest improvement to the forecast format from last year.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/50940-alps-forecast-6/ is an example from last year.

The Alpine specific maps are in the normal place, http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=alp-charts;sess=

Posted

Yay! Val d'Isere for me this year please. What's everyone's thoughts for the forthcoming season? Looks like above average temperatures and lots of high pressure at the moment…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Same again for me this year Niederau - Wildschonau, Austria

I shall be adding another place in swizerland soon when the other half has booked it. Im getting greedy but then i am an addict!

Snow conditions were exceptional in niederau last year when i went in january drinks.gif And so was your thread, i was glued to it for the month before i went.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I'm off to Sauze d'Oulx in Italy on 10th Jan so it'd be great if you could keep us informed of the weather over there please! It's the earliest in the year I've been snowboarding before so I'm hoping for some lovely snow, fingers crossed!!

Edited by stuboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Updates on Sestriere would be great thanks, I'll be there over the new year. I'm hoping for a second trip later in the season, probably be either Mayrhofen or La Plange or both if I'm lucky!

Posted

Good stuff, as a regular visitor to the German middle mountains I love keeping an eye on this thread. Notice that there is 15 cm snow forecast in Scandanavia today and it is snowing on the Finland Road cams. Good to see and this is earlier than last year.

Hints of the 0c Isotherm dropping below 1000m for Austria around mid next week for a time.

Apologies for snow chasing at the moment, as we move into November there will be regular forecasts.

Further Alps specific forecast charts are available here for free at

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=alp-charts;sess=

Please keep the forecast locations flying in and also if you want any changes to the format of the forecasts this year please let me know. As it stands Thursday is the preferred day of the forecast to tie in with most skiing holidays running Saturday to Saturday. Comments are welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Astonishing early ski resort opening in the US. I will try and post links but 7 weeks early in one location. Cold temps allowing for snowmaking to be effective.

here

Sorry Jackone OT but interesting

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Still signs of cold weather edging in for Austria by mid next week, with day freezing levels down to around 800m in the far east, but closer to 1500m in the far west, with Kitzbuhel on the 1200m line. Remaining milder further south and west for Switzerland, Italy and especially France.

Synoptically this is caused by a medium area of High Pressure over Western Europe, with cold air flooding down from Northern Scandinavia for Austria in particular, and with (showery) precipitation seemingly quite likely, there could be some decent snow for mid level runs in Austria.

Posted

I'd agree with that summary Julian, east to see a touch of winter not the west.

Oddly enough the normally very reliable Swiss centre, over the past few days keep putting snow down to about 5000ft in the Jungfrau region for early next week.

Seems rather unlikely to me but, they are usually pretty accurate so where they get that from I am at a loss to explain. Not GFS which has temps at 5000ft (850 mb) largely 0-5c at the lowest and some of the time higher than that??

Posted

Still signs of cold weather edging in for Austria by mid next week, with day freezing levels down to around 800m in the far east, but closer to 1500m in the far west, with Kitzbuhel on the 1200m line. Remaining milder further south and west for Switzerland, Italy and especially France.

Synoptically this is caused by a medium area of High Pressure over Western Europe, with cold air flooding down from Northern Scandinavia for Austria in particular, and with (showery) precipitation seemingly quite likely, there could be some decent snow for mid level runs in Austria.

I just looked at one of the ski forecasts for one of the places i go in austria and if it is correct the whole resort should see snow in the next week! The resort is only a medium altitude too! It says the freezing level would be down to 300m by wednesday and resort and bottom lifts at at around 1000m.

Last autumn winter i watched it like a hawk also and the first widespread snow and freezing conditions did not start until early december, it seems alot earlier?

here is link to what i have looked at: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niederau/6day/top

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I just looked at one of the ski forecasts for one of the places i go in austria and if it is correct the whole resort should see snow in the next week! The resort is only a medium altitude too! It says the freezing level would be down to 300m by wednesday and resort and bottom lifts at at around 1000m.

Last autumn winter i watched it like a hawk also and the first widespread snow and freezing conditions did not start until early december, it seems alot earlier?

here is link to what i have looked at: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niederau/6day/top

Evening,

My village has just recieved the first snow warning of the season.Freezing level dropping during Tuesday with precipitaion turning to snow above 1500m. Very mild at the moment,

C

I tend to use that as it gives a decent guess at likely snow amounts, but I think it can over estimate snow amounts.

Evening,

My village has just received the first snow warning of the season. Freezing level dropping during Tuesday with precipitation turning to snow above 1500m. Very mild at the moment,

C

Keep us informed and send in photos when the snow starts to arrive.

Posted

Evening,

My village has just recieved the first snow warning of the season.Freezing level dropping during Tuesday with precipitaion turning to snow above 1500m. Very mild at the moment,

C

Morning all,

Precipitation now turning to snow with freezing level expected to drop to below 1000m level during the next 24 hours.

C

post-3489-12553310047379_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yes its snowing in the Wengen area down to about 5500ft by the look of the web cams-Swiss weather also predicting some more down to village level over the next 24 hours.

All credit to them-GFS had nothing showing for that part until 24 hours ago; they were predicting it 4-5 days ago.

Over the past 3-4 years it seems the most reliable at predicting in that mountain area of Switzerland-as you might expect I suppose.

Posted

Hi everyone, good to see some early snow in the Alps, although it will have time to melt before the season starts proper!

If I could add Cervinia, Italy aswell please. Will there over New Year. Exceptional early season snow last year, let's hope for a repeat! With a base station at 2000m odd, I'm probably in a safer position than most (fingers crossed).

Steve M

Posted

I just looked at the Niederau - Wildschonau, Austria web cam http://www.auhof.co.uk/webcam.asp and got a shock to see snow down to the resort which is only 800m. Very early to see whole resort and mountain with snow.huh.gif

Last year the resort and most of mountain had to wait until early december before the green fields vanished for the winter.

Looking at europe there is alot of snow/rain with some high snowfall totals expected this week over the alps as well as other mountains in that region. I know its early and a mild spell could wash it all away on the lower resorts but maybe it could be foundations for a good snow base if it lasts? outlook still all quite cold for near future. cold.gif

Edited by mullender83

Morning all,

Precipitation now turning to snow with freezing level expected to drop to below 1000m level during the next 24 hours.

C

The snow level in Kitzbuhel is just below the 1000m line at the moment and this is set to drop further.

Yes its snowing in the Wengen area down to about 5500ft by the look of the web cams-Swiss weather also predicting some more down to village level over the next 24 hours.

All credit to them-GFS had nothing showing for that part until 24 hours ago; they were predicting it 4-5 days ago.

Over the past 3-4 years it seems the most reliable at predicting in that mountain area of Switzerland-as you might expect I suppose.

I'll have to keep that in mind for the coming season.

There has been snow over the Alps, this week getting progressively heavier as you go further east towards Austria. http://www.snow-forecast.com/pages/tips_full

Over the weekend further snow is likely especially for eastern Switzerland and western Austria, and for pars of Germany, some 25-30cm is possible in pale, perhaps more on higher runs around the Austria Switzerland border, where the snow seems heaviest. Snow is likely to fall to around 800m in Germany and NW Austria, but much higher freezing levels in Southern Switzerland and Italy, closer to 1500m here.

Looking at specific resort forecasts

Val d'Isere mainly dry over the weekend, freezing level down to around 1500m for Saturday, 2500m into next week though, as much milder Southerly winds set in.

Niederau , light to moderate snow seems likely down to 800m which is below resort level, from now through to Sunday night, there could be around 20cm in this time.

Finally for tonight, Sauze d'Oulx in Italy, similar conditions seem likely to those in Val D'Isere, dry and turning milder next week.

Posted

Evening all,

Cold today. Snowcover down to 1100m. Max temp in village was only -2C. Looks like more snow tonight but more likely towards Salzburg side.

C

post-3489-12557101559053_thumb.jpg

Posted

It looks great in neider With more heavy snow forecast although next week it could all melt away.

post-8911-12557128008813_thumb.jpg

Posted

Good afternoon, this shot is over the northern slopes of Katschberg Mountain looking towards the Lungau. That is the new gondala station which will speed up access to the A10 ski run this season from Katschberg to St Margarethen, a continuous downhill run of over 7km,one of the longest in Austria. Local snowfall is generally more abundant on this side of the mountain and is typical of the micro -climate as is in many other parts of the alps. We on the sunnier side of the mountain are sometimes oblivious to what is happening 1Okm away. Today it has been snowing on and off over there, whilst the sun has shone here!

C

post-3489-12557842651154_thumb.jpg

Posted

Good afternoon, this shot is over the northern slopes of Katschberg Mountain looking towards the Lungau. That is the new gondala station which will speed up access to the A10 ski run this season from Katschberg to St Margarethen, a continuous downhill run of over 7km,one of the longest in Austria. Local snowfall is generally more abundant on this side of the mountain and is typical of the micro -climate as is in many other parts of the alps. We on the sunnier side of the mountain are sometimes oblivious to what is happening 1Okm away. Today it has been snowing on and off over there, whilst the sun has shone here!

C

Hey, cheeky local kids sledging on the Gamskogel today. Love to join them !

C

post-3489-1255858194253_thumb.jpg