Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland September Rainfall

damianslaw

Posted

Away from Scotland and far north of England alongside N Ireland who all experienced a very wet opening to the month, this September is proving to be a very dry one so far elsewhere.

With no real rainfall forecast at least into next week, I'm guessing for many south eastern partsin particular especially east midlands area that this Sept is going to go down as one of the driest in a long time. I don't have the stats but would be interesting to see just how dry it has been for different locations.

Unlike Sept 2006 which was very dry and exceptionally warm and sunny, this month even if it turns out to be a notably dry one is unlikely to go down as very memorable on account of the cloudy dull average temperatures. Best word for this month in the main must be Non-descript, central parts of england can hardly have experienced such a quiet month I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I had some rain at the beginning of the month, and funny enough had 1.5mm last night

Total so far this Month is 27.9mm, so fairly dry indeed

Posted

I actually can't remember when it last rained; everything out in the garden is bone dry, our tree is losing leaves more because of the lack of water than the time of the year. Not a lot of rain in the forecast either. No doubt October will be VERY wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I have had 13mm this month, and excluding the first 3 days where we had storms, I have had just 1.6mm - very dry indeed.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Im not exactly sure when it rained here last,but it must be around september 6th. Very dry indeed, and the grass is starting to turn brown in places from lack of rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Just 12.2mm so far this month and most of that fell on the 2nd, nothing since the 3rd. The ground is rock hard and up the local hill the paths which are usually muddy are bone dry with big cracks in them. As things usually balance out in the end we could be looking at a wet october / november period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Here the grass in the back garden is taking on a yellow/brown look in places, bringing back memories of 2003.

I agree. Given the lack of storms here for the West Midlands during Spring and Summer, the last thing I wanted was a September like this.

Your in a very small minority, it's more like "Given the lack anticyclonic dry weather this summer, the last thing i or the majority wanted was more wet days dominating this September, this dry spell has been excellent for most.

Posted

For me, this weather couldn't be more depressing.

I agree.This cloudy,dry weather sucks, and it's the most boring period of weather since i joined the forum :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

It is very depressing weather, but alas, we do need to have a respite sometimes and sacrifice a month or two to get some really interesting weather on down the line. The longer it stays boring, the bigger and better it'll come back into action. (please note, this post is in no way technically minded, good weather does not necessarily mean bad storms thereafter).

Posted

Unlike Sept 2006 which was very dry and exceptionally warm and sunny, this month even if it turns out to be a notably dry one is unlikely to go down as very memorable on account of the cloudy dull average temperatures. Best word for this month in the main must be Non-descript, central parts of england can hardly have experienced such a quiet month I imagine.

Yes it`s very dry this month,definately no danger of the brook drying up after the very wet summer.

Here currently 10mm, september 2006 was the previous dryest at 18mm.

sept 2000 was very wet at 143mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

This month we have had 11.8mm of rain thus far, just ahead of March with 10.4mm

I'm not sure what the record dryness is, but if it continues dry all year, a record dry year for this part is imminent. I find it difficult to imagine that happening though, so I suggest it will be very wet between October and December

Edited by SPWirral

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Can't really get my head around how some people can call this weather 'depressing' - if anything I would say that being hit by depression after depression from the atlantic is more depressing. I think I would be correct in saying that the majority of the UK and myself are enjoying this dry spell very much, after the poor summer it is at least something.

It hasn't been exceptionally dry here, we have had about 21mm which all fell in one go, and it is not unusual for us to get fairly dry months like this.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well it's been dry mostly this month 30.2 mm rain recording and most of that in one go. It's either been sunny or dull gray rubbish mostly. Dull gray is depressing if you've had a lot of that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I guess it depends on your perspective - for storm & exciting weather fans it is indeed very dull with next to no change in conditions for several weeks now. We've only had a couple of sprinklings all month - not enough to even wet the ground visibly at all. There have been very few storms here all year with most rain falling from steady frontal rainfall.

But from the perspective of 'making good' on the poor high summer period it's been great. Weekends have been good to allow lots of outdoor activity and, in the week, there has been a complete lack of unpleasant soakings on the way to/from work. From my view the dry weather has softened the blow of the ever decreasing light levels and the vast traffic/people traffic increase on my work journey that goes with this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No rain here for almost 3 weeks now here and the field at our school is very brown in many places, very dusty and not really gorwing. Says it all really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If we get no rain before 0900 tomorrow morning, today will be the 15th consecutive day without rain; into 'official drought' territory for the first time since March 2007.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

I would have said we have been bone dry this month, except last week when we were caught in the London, Surrey, Hampshire strip that had 12 hours of constant rain so the garden is looking healthy. Personally I love settled weather in September and with the prospect of several days of sunny weather coming up I am happy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

One important factor that has been overlooked so far is that cloud amounts have been pretty variable during this high pressure spell- both over time, and over the country as a whole. Thus, some places have had a predominantly dry sunny spell and others have had a predominantly dry cloudy one.

Since the high came over, Norwich has had three dull days (including today) and the others had either broken cloud or wall-to-wall sunshine, so here it can reasonably be categorised as a dry sunny spell, and I must say I've quite enjoyed it, especially by comparison with the mainly cloudy anticyclonic spell of last year. But if I was in one of the cloudy areas I would be joining those who are calling this spell boring.

The same resonates across the country as a whole. The vast majority of people welcome a dry sunny spell, but what about a dry cloudy one? The comparison between dull dry weather versus sunshine and showers, for example, generates quite varied opinions among the "lay" contingent in my experience, depending on whether their main "priority" is dry weather or sunshine, and also the relative ratio of sun to showers in showery weather. I generally find that people complain more during sunshine and showers, yet moods often seem that little bit lower when it's dull and dry. Most would rather it be dry regardless of sunshine relative to dull and wet, though!

It is, indeed, proving to be a dry September for many. Sunshine stats could well vary quite significantly over the country, however.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Its been very dry here too, except for a very brief shower on Saturday. I can't remember when we last had heavy rain/showers.

Posted

I have recorded only 8.5mm so far this month, and all of that was recorded over the first 3 days of the month. This is currently the lowest total since April 2007, when I recorded 1.9mm. Other local records going back to 1996, shows only August 2003, when 6.9mm was recorded and then back to February 1998, when only 4.8mm fell locally.

Its been a 'dry' year for me. Yearly total is 291.8mm...this period last year I had recorded 496.2mm.