Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tsunami Warning For Pacific Ocean

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

They're aftershocks, not unusual after the initial tremor. And as you can see the frequency is decreasing with time which is what would be expected.

The 6.3 today looks like it may not be an aftershock but I don't think you could say for certain until this event has run its course and can be analysed.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning on Thursday, Australia time, for Papua New Guinea and island nations in the southwest Pacific, including Fiji, after a 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck off Vanuatu.

Another huge oneblink.gif

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning on Thursday, Australia time, for Papua New Guinea and island nations in the southwest Pacific, including Fiji, after a 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck off Vanuatu.

Another huge oneblink.gif

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/pacific/2009/pacific.2009.10.07.221655.txt

TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 1NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI1218 PM HST WED OCT 07 2009TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAIISUBJECT - TSUNAMI ADVISORYA TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS ISSUED FOR THE STATE OF HAWAII EFFECTIVEAT 1217 PM HST.AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS ORIGIN TIME - 1203 PM HST 07 OCT 2009 COORDINATES - 13.0 SOUTH 166.3 EAST LOCATION - VANUATU ISLANDS MAGNITUDE - 8.0 MOMENTEVALUATION THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER HAS ISSUED AN EXPANDING REGIONAL TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH FOR PARTS OF THE PACIFIC LOCATED CLOSER TO THE EARTHQUAKE. AN EVALUATION OF THE PACIFIC WIDE TSUNAMI THREAT IS UNDERWAY AND THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT HAWAII COULD BE ELEVATED TO A WATCH OR WARNING STATUS. IF TSUNAMI WAVES IMPACT HAWAII THEIR ESTIMATED EARLIEST ARRIVAL TIME IS 0650 PM HST WED 07 OCT 2009MESSAGES WILL BE ISSUED HOURLY OR SOONER AS CONDITIONS WARRANT.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

You beat me to it! Just saw myself- what is going on in the pacific ring of fire?! Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone can find a correlation between earthquake activity in the south pacific and cold snowy winters over here can they? That would cheer me up.

On a more serious note, lets hope that if there is a tsunami it doesn't cause any losses of life. Fingers crossed for everyone in Papau New Guinea

bb

Posted

You beat me to it! Just saw myself- what is going on in the pacific ring of fire?! Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone can find a correlation between earthquake activity in the south pacific and cold snowy winters over here can they? That would cheer me up.

On a more serious note, lets hope that if there is a tsunami it doesn't cause any losses of life. Fingers crossed for everyone in Papau New Guinea

bb

Funny you should say that.

yes

Apparently a low sun spot cycle causes an increase in earthquakes and evidence it causes cooling too. Look up Maunder mimimum or dalton minimum for the cooling effects.

Try this link for increase in earthquakes etc

http://www.jupitersdance.com/

This one too http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/sunspotcycles.html

Lots of info online about this.

I was sceptical but it seems to be coming more possible to me.

Hard to swallow but evidence is mounting, What do other think?

Lets hope no injuries or life loss, my parents landed in Hawaii an hour ago on holiday.

Edited by pyrotech

Posted

http://www.emsc-csem...urrent⊂=list

A 6.7, 7.3, 7.8 all within 1 hour

And most of them unpleasantly shallow, which is not good for those in low-lying areas.

I'm not sure I have seen enough evidence for the solar-minimum extra earthquake activity link yet (but then I've not looked at it that closely so who am I to say), but it does seem probable that release of stress in one area of a fault could build it up in related areas (as is happening with quakes tending to migrate westwards across the fault that runs across the north of Turkey).

Posted

And most of them unpleasantly shallow, which is not good for those in low-lying areas.

I'm not sure I have seen enough evidence for the solar-minimum extra earthquake activity link yet (but then I've not looked at it that closely so who am I to say), but it does seem probable that release of stress in one area of a fault could build it up in related areas (as is happening with quakes tending to migrate westwards across the fault that runs across the north of Turkey).

I agree, if coincidence that all these earthquakes with low sunspot activity or just a normal occurence as it migrates westwards its got me interested, studdied solar activity on weather / climate but never looked at geological effects.

Will be taking a bit more interest on here from now on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

And it has been cancelled so good news for the islanders and anyone over here with friends or family backpacking over there!

bb