Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hiya

Gaming Pc

If memory serves me well there are a few people in here who do a lot of PC gaming so I'm looking for advise on a system. I don't play many games but there are about 5 out now I'd like to play, so it is time to invest in a PC that will handle them.

I'm looking to keep it under £500 and obviously have maximum performance.

The information on the web is immense on issues like AMD vs intel, CPU vs GPU for which is more important in gaming.

This shop is just down the road from work and has pretty good reviews and appears to be quite cheap. I have asked if they will upgrade any of these systems and they will.

http://www.3000rpm.com/acatalog/BAREBONE_PC_SYSTEM__NO_OPERATING_SYSTEM_.html

Anyone venture on an opinion on which system and any appropriate upgrades will give me the best gaming performance for my money?

I have just the thing for you....

I have a quad core AMD Phenom 2.31GhZ x4 with 4GB memory..+ 500 gig harddrive Sata..on board graphics...but I use a bought graphics card

Motherboard=ASROCK

Super fast...can play 5 Call of Dutys all at the same time!!!! :whistling:

got all for under £230.00...

Had to build it myself...

But know of complete packages if you interested...

Just PM me if interested

extras....ATX CASE..PSU....But I already had these...but are not expensive to buy

I bought a PC from PC World in September 2008 for around £500 that is an excellent PC but is lacking in the PSU and graphics card department, so really this wouldn't class as a gaming PC until I upgrade the PSU and graphics like I am going to do soon.

It has a Q6600 Quad core 2.4ghz processor with 3GB ram and 500GB hard drive and it came with a 20 inch widescreen monitor so it wasn't bad for 500 quid. The PSU is 250watt and the graphics card is a Nvidia integrated 7050 so they both SUCK!! I am going to upgrade the PSU to probably something like 450watt and get a Nvidia 9600 or 8 series card soon, then it probably would class as a gaming PC lol.

ok, first of all, if you're looking for a rig that can play up to date games, forget anything with an on-board graphics card, they're an utter waste of time.....forget quad core, as they're very few software apps that will use all 4 cores (unless you've got lots of dosh to burn..my machine spec (listed below) will handle any game you can throw at it and them some! and its over a year old since I first built it

CPU: intel core 2 duo e7200 (overclocked with no extra cooling to 3.06 ghz- about £75 (E7400 slighty faster - about £80)

mobo: Gigabyte GA-73pvm-s2h (£50)

Graphics card: ATI Radeon 4850 (£80)

hard drives: Maxtor SATA 500GB x 2 (£75 for the pair)

Memory: 4gb OCZ SLI DDR2-PC6400 (£55)

Case & PSU 500W (£35)

opitical drive: DVDRW (£15)

presuming you'll be using your current Monitor/keyboard/mouse etc

Cost = £390 for a kick-ass gaming rig

make sure you get at least a 500Watt PSU, as it be need to provide some serious supply

Graphics wise, for current and soon to be released games, if you go down the ATI route, then get at least a Radeon 4770/4850 or better, if you going down the NVidia route, then forget the 8 series, & 9400/500/600, and go for either a 9800GT or 9800GTX, if you've a bit of spare cash then I'd recomment a ATI Radeon 4870/90 or NVidia Geforce GTX260

AJ won't Quad Core's be helpful in like 3-4 years though when games probably will use more than 2 cores? You never know :)

Thanks for the replies.

ok, first of all, if you're looking for a rig that can play up to date games, forget anything with an on-board graphics card, they're an utter waste of time.....forget quad core, as they're very few software apps that will use all 4 cores (unless you've got lots of dosh to burn..my machine spec (listed below) will handle any game you can throw at it and them some! and its over a year old since I first built it

CPU: intel core 2 duo e7200 (overclocked with no extra cooling to 3.06 ghz- about £75 (E7400 slighty faster - about £80)

mobo: Gigabyte GA-73pvm-s2h (£50)

Graphics card: ATI Radeon 4850 (£80)

hard drives: Maxtor SATA 500GB x 2 (£75 for the pair)

Memory: 4gb OCZ SLI DDR2-PC6400 (£55)

Case & PSU 500W (£35)

opitical drive: DVDRW (£15)

presuming you'll be using your current Monitor/keyboard/mouse etc

Cost = £390 for a kick-ass gaming rig

make sure you get at least a 500Watt PSU, as it be need to provide some serious supply

Graphics wise, for current and soon to be released games, if you go down the ATI route, then get at least a Radeon 4770/4850 or better, if you going down the NVidia route, then forget the 8 series, & 9400/500/600, and go for either a 9800GT or 9800GTX, if you've a bit of spare cash then I'd recomment a ATI Radeon 4870/90 or NVidia Geforce GTX260

The one I was looking at is almost the same spec as what you list so it is good to know that it will do what I want.

When you say a quad core is useless just now, when software and games catch up with the technology will that not mean the computer will age better? So in a few years an updated graphics card and some extra RAM into the quad I've invested in will make things stretch out a bit longer?

Thanks for the replies.

The one I was looking at is almost the same spec as what you list so it is good to know that it will do what I want.

When you say a quad core is useless just now, when software and games catch up with the technology will that not mean the computer will age better? So in a few years an updated graphics card and some extra RAM into the quad I've invested in will make things stretch out a bit longer?

I dont think so to be honest...Intel have already developed an 8 core processor....they've also had the Core i7 processors out for quite a while which have a triuple channel memory controller (so you can install 3 banks of RAM in the motherboard)...Any computer bought now will be obselete with a couple of years....its just the nature of the beast I'm afraid

You're telling me that if I upgrade my comp to 8GB ram in 2-3 years time and it's got a quad core... It won't keep up with the new comps? It should do :rolleyes:

You're telling me that if I upgrade my comp to 8GB ram in 2-3 years time and it's got a quad core... It won't keep up with the new comps? It should do :rolleyes:

erm, no it wont!....besides you can have as much RAM as you want, but if you havent got a 64 bit version of a windows operating system, then windows will only be able to access about 3.25Gb of the available RAM, only XP 64 & Vista 64 have 64 bit memory addressing Andy....You've a Q6600 quad-core, that was the entry level quad core when they were released around 2 years ago, to give you an example of how quickly component technology moves on, the Q6600 isnt even manufactured anymore, its already obselete, kind of scary considering how expensive computer upgrades cost...to put it in another perspective, just 2 years ago, a top end gaming machine would've probably had a Pentium 4 CPU, 1, maybe 2Gb at a push, of RAM, and a Geforce 6000 series or ATI X series graphics card...now try installing a modern gaming title on that setup and watch what happens....not a lot, the rig would grind to a very rapid halt!.....I'm not dissing your set up Andy, as put a ATI 4850 in your current set up, and you'll have a fairly good gaming rig that will be good for another 12 months, but even with my machine, I'm looking at another upgrade (finance permitting !) within the next few months to make sure the latest games will be playable at all settings

I understand what you are saying mate, I didn't really have intensive games in mind when I bought this PC. I just wanted an upgrade from the one I had before. You will probably fall on the floor with disbelief when I tell you what specs my old PC had before I bought this current one in Sept 2008. I mean consider that by 2007 PC's were already having ram at 1GB minimum when they were being sold and stuff... Well check this out :lol:

The PC I had bought for me in 2001 was a Hewlett Packard with Pentinum 4, 1.5ghz processor, 128MB ram and 30GB hard drive :yahoo::good:

I lasted with that for 7 years!!! I don't know how I managed it, I did upgrade the ram to 512MB in 2007 and that was the maximum it could be upgraded to and it was still slow as heck. The graphics card that came with it back in 2001 was a geforce2 series lmao!!! I never upgraded that either and I never upgraded the PSU. It still works now but I haven't used it once since I bought this one.

The reason I didn't buy this computer as a hardcore gaming one is because I already have an XBOX360 and prefer to play brilliant graphics games on that instead. I tend to play games on the PC which aren't that graphically demanding but now I want to play some decent graphics games on my PC and have just bought a 750watt PSU off Ebay for £40 which I thought was a good price. I am looking at buying a 8800GTS or GT as my graphics card. See I don't want an ridiculously good card, I just want one which will play good graphical games like Flight Sim etc... at 30 FPS+ because at the moment with this integrated 7050 card even Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 stutters!! That has nice 3D graphics but it's not even close to some of the graphics you get on games these days.

I understand what you are saying mate, I didn't really have intensive games in mind when I bought this PC. I just wanted an upgrade from the one I had before. You will probably fall on the floor with disbelief when I tell you what specs my old PC had before I bought this current one in Sept 2008. I mean consider that by 2007 PC's were already having ram at 1GB minimum when they were being sold and stuff... Well check this out :)

The PC I had bought for me in 2001 was a Hewlett Packard with Pentinum 4, 1.5ghz processor, 128MB ram and 30GB hard drive :ph34r: :hi:

I lasted with that for 7 years!!! I don't know how I managed it, I did upgrade the ram to 512MB in 2007 and that was the maximum it could be upgraded to and it was still slow as heck. The graphics card that came with it back in 2001 was a geforce2 series lmao!!! I never upgraded that either and I never upgraded the PSU. It still works now but I haven't used it once since I bought this one.

The reason I didn't buy this computer as a hardcore gaming one is because I already have an XBOX360 and prefer to play brilliant graphics games on that instead. I tend to play games on the PC which aren't that graphically demanding but now I want to play some decent graphics games on my PC and have just bought a 750watt PSU off Ebay for £40 which I thought was a good price. I am looking at buying a 8800GTS or GT as my graphics card. See I don't want an ridiculously good card, I just want one which will play good graphical games like Flight Sim etc... at 30 FPS+ because at the moment with this integrated 7050 card even Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 stutters!! That has nice 3D graphics but it's not even close to some of the graphics you get on games these days.

Hi mate, just replied back to your PM.....btw one way of extending shelf life on CPU's and graphics cards is the overclocking route, and its not as daunting as it sounds...also, just want to stress that even because intel arent manufacturing the Q6600, doesnt mean its a poor processor, quite the contrary, its a meaty lump of silicon, that given the correct memory & graphics, provides some seriously quick hardware capable of making the Xbox360 & PS3 look very ordinary! :)

Sounds good AJ :hi: I have read and heard of overclocking but it did sound a bit daunting haha. I didn't want to have a go at it because I thought... Well I don't want to do anything wrong and blow it up :ph34r: But seeing as you know about overclocking and PC's then thats the kind of helpful advice I need to be able to dabble in it myself and see what happens.

Sounds good AJ :) I have read and heard of overclocking but it did sound a bit daunting haha. I didn't want to have a go at it because I thought... Well I don't want to do anything wrong and blow it up :ph34r: But seeing as you know about overclocking and PC's then thats the kind of helpful advice I need to be able to dabble in it myself and see what happens.

Andy + Overclock dabbling = post-4149-12541340205371.gif......?? :hi:

(just kidding mate!)

Andy + Overclock dabbling = post-4149-12541340205371.gif......?? :ph34r:

(just kidding mate!)

Hey that looks spot on to me :hi:

I finally done enough homework to know what I wanted and got the following:

intel core duo e8400

ASUS mo/bo

500gb HDD

4gb RAM

DVDRW

case 550w CPU

9500gt 1gb

for £350

The supplier couldn't give me an ATI GPU, so I'll swap out that GeForce when it arrives.

I preordered windows 7, shame it doesn't come out until the 22nd, I'll have to make do with XP for a few weeks then reformat.

Thanks ajpoolshark for giving me a rough idea of something that would do the job! :good:

sounds like that will do then job!

750watt PSU off Ebay for £40

Oh no i hope it's not some generic brand, you really do need a good branded PSU, i see so many people skip on quality PSU's when its the most important part of the system.

Hiya if you can stretch a little further you could get an excellent system like the one i have linked below you get a 4890 which is the best value for money graphics currently going and is powerful.

The AMD Phenom II 550 is an excellent processor for the money, i have one myself and you have a very good chance of unlocking it to a quad core like i did smile.gif

http://www.overclock...tid=1445&subcat=

Read the reviews and see how impressed people are, overclockers will build it for you, test it and overclock it for you.

Hiya if you can stretch a little further you could get an excellent system like the one i have linked below you get a 4890 which is the best value for money graphics currently going and is powerful.

The AMD Phenom II 550 is an excellent processor for the money, i have one myself and you have a very good chance of unlocking it to a quad core like i did smile.gif

http://www.overclock...tid=1445&subcat=

Read the reviews and see how impressed people are, overclockers will build it for you, test it and overclock it for you.

:good: Me want one!

Hiya, if its affordable to you, buy this computer today!....damn good spec for the price...The radeon 4890 is a superb card, in a PC this cheap, such a card is incredible value.....this PC is very fast, will play any game with the highest graphic settings, and can handle any other task you may care to throw at it with ease!

Yes ajpoolshark its a very impressive system for the price, if i was looking for a new system i would surely go for that one, if its a bit pricey for Hiya here's an alternative system from overclockers still impressive and has lots of happy customers, though you might start to need quad core for games in the next few years, i know GTA4 and Arma II really need a quad core.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-180-OK&tool=3

I've already ordered the PC in my last post!

I am going to install a 4870 when the computer arrives, this is really the best value card out there just now.

Looking at the benchmarks that AMD processor doesn't really perform as well as an Intel. The plan being to have a good duel core just now, then in a few years I'll just buy another £350 tower with a good quad core. Things are going out-of-date so quickly I figure it is best to keep the price sensible and upgrade twice as often.

Ok let us know how you get on with it, yes the 4870 is a great card i have one myself, 1GB version if you are planning on playing at 1920x1200/1920x1080 in the future.

Yes Intel Core 2 Duo is faster than an Athlon X2 but not faster than a Phenom II which is much faster and cheaper than a E8400 and not far behind the much more expensive i7, AMD Phenom II really is exceptional value for money and with AM3 you have future upgrade possibilities but none with the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Hey Eugene, I have just read what you said about the psu, I bought it and fitted the new psu and graphics card a few weeks back and it is working a treat so far, so fingers crossed! No problems with psu, I did hear that an Oryxx psu is a fairly good quality one so I am hoping that is true. I also fitted the 8800GTS 640mb graphics card I picked up off Ebay for £50 and that is SO much better than my old integrated 7050 card! So far so good with my first dabble into upgrading a PC lol. I know the graphics card isn't the newest but I had a tight budget and wanted to get the best card I could and spending the least money I could. So a 8800GTS 640mb version for £50 seemed an offer I couldn't turn down. I took a risk on it because I didn't know how well it would work with it being second hand but it's worked fine so far and i've not had a problem with it, it renders intensive 3D game graphics very well and if you put an intensive 3D game on with my old integrated card... You'd be looking at 10-15FPS tops.