Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louby

Old Games

I was telling Rat about the old games I used to play before he was born and thought how wonderful some of these games would be with todays graphics, the likes of spectrum games... Monty on the Run, Jetset Willy, Dizzy and others being Sega's XJ220 and one of the first playstation games I ever played, Demonlition Derby.

Are their any games you spent many an hour playing way back when that you would love to be remade with today technology?

I was telling Rat about the old games I used to play before he was born and thought how wonderful some of these games would be with todays graphics, the likes of spectrum games... Monty on the Run, Jetset Willy, Dizzy and others being Sega's XJ220 and one of the first playstation games I ever played, Demonlition Derby.

Are their any games you spent many an hour playing way back when that you would love to be remade with today technology?

oooooh good question!...a lot of the old games have already been re-made or re-branded...but for those games that havent, I would love to see the original 'Doom' given a 21st century re-make..... on the C64, I spent many an hour playing 'Lords of midnight' (graphic/strategy adventure) that would be a good one......and 'Stunt Car Racer' on the Commodore Amiga, an awesome game, the nearest I've come to it is the on-line game 'TrackNations'.....here's another one, 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' on the original Atari VCS console, ......ahh just remembered, a game thats just celebrated its 25th anniversary...the one and only 'Elite'...that game seriously needs to be re-made and released, the greatest futuristic strategy/trading game of all time!

(I was going to go all OTT and name just about every game I used to play aeons ago, but to be honest, most of them, the original games could never be the same if re-produced)

nothing beats the legendary amiga! wish i still had it, silent service 2 was my best ever game from 1990, chaos engine fantastic (play it every night downloaded from net) superfrog by team 17 fantastic game from 1994, syndicate from 1994 ace, strikefleet, kingpin,

want amigas remade and the games but not updated, legendary commodore amiga

Hero Quest on the C64!! now that was one addictive game, me and my girls used to stay up until early hours playing that one lol

Wow Louby, I was thinking of making a topic like this. I was speaking to Butler_Son last week about classic games from our youth like Tekken, Fifa 98 and consoles like N64 and PS1. The most memorable games from my youth were games on the Sega Mega Drive, I used to always play Super Monaco GP, Toejam & Earl, Streets of Rage, Sonic and many more!

The first taste of computer games I ever had was when my Uncle let me play on his Master System before he sold it to get the Mega Drive. I remember I was 3-4 years old and I had a go on California Games and loved it :D

Louby I loved Destruction Derby on the PS1!!! I wish they made that for the new consoles of Xbox and PS3. I have got a game though on Xbox called Race Driver Grid and there is a Demolition Derby race mode on there and I play that online and it is really fun :o

AJ, I remember playing Stunt Car Racer!! My Uncle had an Amiga back in 1994-1995 and I used to enjoy driving that big monster truck but I was rubbish at it most the time, used to keep falling off the side :D Good memories though.

Anyone remember the Road Rash series? I have heard a rumour that they are making a Next Gen console version of that, for the Xbox and PS3!! I would be really happy if that was true because I played the Road Rash series all the time as a kid too.

wasted quite a few hours on Road Race was awesome back then!

There are emulators out there which allow you to play Spectrum games on your PC, and without the crazy loading times, the number of times as well the games failed to load was crazy and frustrating.

I spent alot of time up at mum's playing old spec games, Booty was one of them, and Pssst. would love to see them redone!

There are emulators out there which allow you to play Spectrum games on your PC, and without the crazy loading times, the number of times as well the games failed to load was crazy and frustrating.

You can save progress as well (this cuts out the frustration of having to go back to the beginning every time). I remember the repeated failures to load all too well with temperamental cassette machines! Unfortunately some of the titles are hard to get due to their publishers denying distribution as I've mentioned in earlier posts.

Here's a list of emulators: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html

I have a feeling that a 3D third person game based on Dizzy could turn out well in the right hands. After all, Tomb Raider and associated games were largely inspired by the ancient Prince of Persia (I spent many, many hours trying to complete that one in the early 1990s) and I can imagine Dizzy translating over similarly well. In the case of Dizzy it would have to be a less serious setting- some kind of mythical fantasy world perhaps, similar to some recent titles for the Nintendo Wii.

Someone has created a slightly upgraded freeware version of Manic Miner for PC:

http://www.xmixdrix.com/manicminer/

Did they not do a few of the Dizzy games?

the C64 version wasnt too good, , but the Speccy version kicked serious bot!.......quick note to fellow posters, this isnt a thread about what games you liked to play in the yesteryears, as the're already threads on this, as Lou said, its the games you'd love to see now, updated with modern day technology....Sorry Lou, just felt it was going slightly off topic.. :) ....ok, I'll shut up, I dont want to see 'Bruce the Banning Stick'.. :angry:

Thanks for asking that- I was unaware of this, but apparently several of the Dizzy titles are available for PC.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/641/Dizzy+-+The+Fantastic+Adventures+of+Dizzy.html

So not to worry about Codemasters barring access to the Dizzy series on Spectrum emulators- it seems you can get them for PC. (Edit: you will probably need DOSBox to run them properly).

I still think there would be plenty of scope for them to make a decent Dizzy game with modern technology though!

I used to love Dizzy, thy were eggcellent. :angry:

However I only ever managed to finish one of the games.

the C64 version wasnt too good, , but the Speccy version kicked serious bot!.......quick note to fellow posters, this isnt a thread about what games you liked to play in the yesteryears, as the're already threads on this, as Lou said, its the games you'd love to see now, updated with modern day technology....Sorry Lou, just felt it was going slightly off topic.. :) ....ok, I'll shut up, I dont want to see 'Bruce the Banning Stick'.. :angry:

Cheers me dears, and put bruce into retirement and replaced him with shin kickers :)

Ooo thanks for the link TWS, god those shots bring back some memorys, mostly of me swearing at the computer! :)

I think this is a market game makers have missed out on. They are soo wrapped up in speed, guns and expensive graphics (not that I am complaining) that game play sometimes lacks, if you take the online play out of the equation these games really don't last long, I remember playing for weeks and weeks and weeks on the likes of Dizzy, or Alex the kid, even Sonic, you really got your pennies worth, and one of the reasons I started this thread :)

Manic Miner and Jetset willy.... both slow, crap graphics, but played it for ages, would love to see them updated.

Wow Louby, I was thinking of making a topic like this. I was speaking to Butler_Son last week about classic games from our youth like Tekken, Fifa 98 and consoles like N64 and PS1. The most memorable games from my youth were games on the Sega Mega Drive, I used to always play Super Monaco GP, Toejam & Earl, Streets of Rage, Sonic and many more!

Jeez Andy, posts like that make me feel incredibly old...lol....Tekken, SM GP & Fifa make feel like I'm pushing up the daisies!!.....the great thing about the 1st generation consoles & 8-bit home computers(I'm talking about Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore, Sinclair, BBC etc) was the simplistic, yet ultimatley compulsive gameplay...There are quite a few platformers that I'd love to see with modern day technology, such as 'Chuckie Egg' 'BombJack' and my favourite platformer 'Cauldron' :)

Bruce is retired??....when did this happen?....have I been living in mortal fear for nothing these past few months?? :angry:

I used to love Dizzy, thy were eggcellent. :angry:

However I only ever managed to finish one of the games.

Do you know what, I don't actually remember getting to the end of any of them.... hmmm might have to fire up the old emulator and have a go me thinks :)

Jeez Andy, posts like that make me feel incredibly old...lol....Tekken, SM GP & Fifa make feel like I'm pushing up the daisies!!.....the great thing about the 1st generation consoles & 8-bit home computers(I'm talking about Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore, Sinclair, BBC etc) was the simplistic, yet ultimatley compulsive gameplay...There are quite a few platformers that I'd love to see with modern day technology, such as 'Chuckie Egg' 'BombJack' and my favourite platformer 'Cauldron'

Bruce is retired??....when did this happen?....have I been living in mortal fear for nothing these past few months??

Oh the shine kickers do more damage mwhahahaha :)

Oooooo chuckie egg! I had forgotten about that one. Yep agree that would make a good remake :)

Do you know what, I don't actually remember getting to the end of any of them.... hmmm might have to fire up the old emulator and have a go me thinks :)

Oh the shine kickers do more damage mwhahahaha :)

Oooooo chuckie egg! I had forgotten about that one. Yep agree that would make a good remake :)

and there was me thinking that you took immense pleasure from whipping me with Bruce in your Cubby hole :):)

erm, sorry chaps, that sounds rather x-rated... :angry:

:)

How about something like pheonix for an up date, and there was another like it that I cannot for the life of me remember what it was... :):angry::)

:lol:

How about something like pheonix for an up date, and there was another like it that I cannot for the life of me remember what it was... :mellow: :unsure: :unknw:

One of these?.....Galaxians, Astro Wars, Gorf?

You beauty! tis galaxians!! been trying to think of that since bloody July, been bugging both me and my dad! Thank you AJ have a NW housepoint :unsure:

Used to play that at the local youth club, along with frogger and pacman.

Not quite sure how they could up date that mind, I think if it went 3D it would lose something

You beauty! tis galaxians!! been trying to think of that since bloody July, been bugging both me and my dad! Thank you AJ have a NW housepoint :unsure:

Used to play that at the local youth club, along with frogger and pacman.

Not quite sure how they could up date that mind, I think if it went 3D it would lose something

can I have a reputation point instead?.....bugger, they've got rid of those, and yet it would've taken my score back up to -75........ :mellow:

Also, Treasure Island Dizzy (not available at the link I posted) was made available for PC by Codemasters a while ago:

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/downloads/details.php?id=17409#

...though unlike the others it does not have upgraded graphics, it is a straight port of the C64 version.

I had the whole series (bar a couple of the spin-offs) for the Spectrum but I only succeeded in completing Magicland Dizzy and Fantasy World Dizzy. I got close to completing Treasure Island Dizzy but got stuck close to the end if I remember rightly.

I agree regarding the modern games often sacrificing simple yet compelling playability in the emphasis on graphics and technology (that's one of the reasons why over the last 5 years I've probably spent more time playing the original Doom than any other first person shooter, for example). It may also partly explain why some of the Wii titles are selling so well, as some of those return to that old-fashioned addictiveness.

For some reason I keep thinking of Trap Door for the Spectrum but I'm not sure if that could be expanded upon enough in an upgrade to make it into a PC or console release that would sell well.

again thanks for the link :unsure:

I don't actually recall playing Trap Door, I am sure we had it though!