Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mid-Range Tele Zoom For Nikon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I'm looking for a 'stay-on' zoom for my new D5000, and am looking to pay up to £350 for one - I'm looking at the Nikkor 17-70, 18-105VR and the 18-125, as well as the Sigma 18-50 OS HSM - does anyone on here use any of these and do they have anything to say about them?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Depends on what you are shooting. If you are doing landscapes then a bit more money would get you the Sigma 10-20mm.. But of of the ones you have listed, I would go for the 18-105mm (Make sure it has the ED glass) as the images will be shaper. The VR will help you keep your images nice and sharp in lower light..

There are a few places the do secondhand stuff like Grays of Westminster. If you can scrape a bit more cash together take a look the 18-200mm Vr lens which would be much better coverage. A new version is on the way and this will be better, though at the moment it is almost twice your budget...

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

In the end (long story) I looked at the Sigma 17-70, the Nikon 18-70, the 18-105 and the Sigma 18-50. Discounted the latter first as it made a hideous noise auto-focussing (which I suspect was a problem with the lens I had, rather than a general fault), then got rid of the 17-70, which was a nice enough lens but looked very soft wide open and there was a bit of chromatic abberation in the images I was taking. In the end, got down to both Nikons - they were both fine for the money - the 105 has VR which is nice, but I found a very, very good example of the 18-70 for well under £100, I plumped for that in the end, as almost all my work with it will be on tripod, so VR is a nice luxury but not really necessary.

Missfits - I'm interested to see what the new version of the 18-200 performs like. The old version has some stonking reviews but alas, it's out of my price range just at the minute.

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F