Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Bayley

A Step Too Far?

It's an extreme reaction but I can kind of see why.

I'm self-employed, it's a sad fact of life that some people, no matter how satisfied they are with the work that you've done, just will not pay. I've had clients who've had thousands of pounds worth of work done only to turn round and say "it looks fantastic, thank you but we've had a few unexpected bills come in, can you wait a couple of months"; you try to be accommodating, you try to be tolerant, afterall late payment is better than no payment so you don't want to antagonise them. A couple of months turn into six, phone calls are ignored, letters go unanswered. The thousands of pounds worth of materials which are in their garden, have been paid for by me, I have to pay my suppliers or my business grinds to a halt.

I'm less tolerant now, been burnt too many times, 3-4 months leeway to pay, then I take them to court. There's also a standard clause in all my contracts which states "property remains mine until payment in full is made"; I have known other gardeners go back and dig everything up and take it away when they haven't been paid.

You wouldn't go to Tesco's and expect to eat for free would you?

My opinion on it would depend on the extent of the job they had done. There are two sides to the coin and you get people like Jethro mentions, while on the other hand, you get builders who try to give minimum service for maximum pay, as far as they can get away with.

The reaction was extreme regardless, but for the other aspects I would need to see more than the evidence provided in the article.

you get builders who try to give minimum service for maximum pay, as far as they can get away with.

and you know this for a fact?..unless you work in the construction industry it is difficult to pass judgement on this...yes there are a few cowboys out there..but then there are rogue traders in all industries you care to mention but builders always get tarred with the same brush..unfairly in my view.

one thing you learn when dealing with the general public (this just does not apply to builders)..is that they are the biggest cheats and liars you will ever come across.. fact! :bad:

i guarantee that an unreputable builder would not go to this extreme...and my guess would be that indeed it is the builder who has been stitched up by the owner.

Been going for five years this dispute. Surprised he didn't go to court for the losses unless he couldn't afford the fees. Also as far as we know he may have informed the house owner that if he wasn't paid he was going to remove the roof if he/she didn't pay up.

and you know this for a fact?..unless you work in the construction industry it is difficult to pass judgement on this...yes there are a few cowboys out there..but then there are rogue traders in all industries you care to mention but builders always get tarred with the same brush..unfairly in my view.

To be fair he did say that it is one side of the coin and didn't say all builders are like that. There are some, but the vast majority are decent and don't aim to rip you off for minimum service.

With all due respect to CM, I think that post is a classic case of hypocrisy- on the one hand complaining about builders being tarred with one brush, but then doing exactly the same to the general public.

My parents for instance have definitely been screwed over by dodgy builders in the past. It is the exception rather than the rule but I see absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that it can happen, just like builders can get screwed over by dodgy homeowners.

People can be very roofless.

I'll get my cloak

A bit more info from the local wragg. Apparently the cost and time going to court was too much for the builder.

Another thing according to the paper there were ten police cars surrounding the House and a Police helicopter. I think someone should ask why there's such an over attendance of police officers for two people when people ring up being attacked by yobs or shot at and are told the Police are too busy to attend.

No information whether the builder had informed the owner that they were coming to reclaim their materials.

Yes i read about the 10 poiice cars and the helecopter, can't see why they was all needed!

I'm afraid I don't buy this "costs too much to go to court"; for claims up to £5000 it costs £100 to register the claim on line, if it goes to court, there's a £300 hearing fee - these fees are added to the debt so in reality, it costs nothing.

If the outstanding debt is greater than £5000, yes it costs more but if you were a small time builder owed for a roof would you rather settle for 5k or get nothing at all? Also, if he decided to sue for the whole cost, his legal costs are once again added to the debt so it costs him nothing in the end.

The only time it would cost him is if he was unsure of his claim and there was a chance the court would not decide in his favour. I'm sure it took him more time and trouble to demolish the roof to re-claim his materials than it would have taken to go the legitimate route of court/small claims.

I'm afraid I don't buy this "costs too much to go to court"; for claims up to £5000 it costs £100 to register the claim on line, if it goes to court, there's a £300 hearing fee - these fees are added to the debt so in reality, it costs nothing.

If the outstanding debt is greater than £5000, yes it costs more but if you were a small time builder owed for a roof would you rather settle for 5k or get nothing at all? Also, if he decided to sue for the whole cost, his legal costs are once again added to the debt so it costs him nothing in the end.

The only time it would cost him is if he was unsure of his claim and there was a chance the court would not decide in his favour. I'm sure it took him more time and trouble to demolish the roof to re-claim his materials than it would have taken to go the legitimate route of court/small claims.

That if the paper reported correctly was the amount he was advised.

Yes i read about the 10 poiice cars and the helecopter, can't see why they was all needed!

Well it was the Stir and they tend to get it wrong. However if it is correct certainly over the top policing for a couple of people who wouldn't be going very far.

LOL, sorry but that women got she deserved tbh, the video of her saying she was frightened is a load of bull. We don't know everything but what we do know is 5years and she still hasn't payed them.