Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

londonsnow

Getting A New Driving Licence

sorry to post the most boring new topic in the forums history but i need to replace my paper driving licence, which is precariously held together by selotape, with a photocard. I dont want to send my passport to swansea for ID purposes as i'm travelling abroad quite a bit in the near future. all i want know is whether i can just take my passport to a local dvla office (there's one in wimbledon apparently) and get it all done on the spot. i've tried every avenue to speak to a human being at the dvla but i think i have more chance of becoming the king of norway than speak to anyone there. soooo frustrating. if you have any advice on this, before i jump off a cliff, it would be gratefully received. thanks LS

I've just had to renew the photo on my licence and, reading through all the info on the accompanying letter, it does say you can pay for a licence at your local DVLA office, so it might be worth a try.

sorry to post the most boring new topic in the forums history but i need to replace my paper driving licence, which is precariously held together by selotape, with a photocard. I dont want to send my passport to swansea for ID purposes as i'm travelling abroad quite a bit in the near future. all i want know is whether i can just take my passport to a local dvla office (there's one in wimbledon apparently) and get it all done on the spot. i've tried every avenue to speak to a human being at the dvla but i think i have more chance of becoming the king of norway than speak to anyone there. soooo frustrating. if you have any advice on this, before i jump off a cliff, it would be gratefully received. thanks LS

I am assuming that you need a new license before going on holiday?

I think the Post Office premium checking service means that the Post Office verifies your ID on behalf of the DVLA, all you need to do is fill in the form, take your Passport with you and pay £20.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1?catId=63400715&mediaId=52100693

However, i dont know if you will be charged for the checking service on top of the £20, it might be worth trying the DVLA office in Wimbledon first!

thanks for that lady p. i think i may just chance my arm and try the local office. it is ridiculous that you cant actually talk to anyone at the dvla. I bet parker doesnt have such problems M'lady

I am assuming that you need a new license before going on holiday?

I think the Post Office premium checking service means that the Post Office verifies your ID on behalf of the DVLA, all you need to do is fill in the form, take your Passport with you and pay £20.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1?catId=63400715&mediaId=52100693

However, i dont know if you will be charged for the checking service on top of the £20, it might be worth trying the DVLA office in Wimbledon first!

thanks very much for that. i've been on to the post office and yes i can do it all there, but 5 minutes walk away. well netweather is certainly a better service than the dvla!!

thanks very much for that. i've been on to the post office and yes i can do it all there, but 5 minutes walk away. well netweather is certainly a better service than the dvla!!

i feel a slogan coming on there :lol: :lol:

Happy to help, it's always worth posting, its likely that one of us on here will have info of use, or not! :-)

New slogan - "Netweather, we can tell you what you need to know, whilst you are on hold"!

Might need a bit of fine tuning though!!!