Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Media Hard Drives

I've got lots of DVDs burned to my computer's hard drive for the inevitable moment when the kids accidentally polish them with sandpaper, but to watch them anywhere but my computer is a bit difficult, and they're generally bigger than 4.7gb, so I can't burn them to another disc.

I'm thinking a media hard drive might be what I'm looking for, as they could then be viewed on the tv again, but I was wondering if the playback quality on a tv is any good? I guess is should be the same as using the original dvd as the information is the same, but whenever I've hooked my laptop to a tv, it's looked rubbish. Perhaps that's down to the graphics card?

Can anyone help?

well the divx downloads onto my media drive are great quality. so i presume that your dvd's should not lose quality if tranfered to the media drive. yes, i would say you are right in thinking the graphics card is the reason the laptop to tv playback is not so good. although if you vconnect the tv screen as the output screen of the laptop there should be no degradation. it all depends on how good the original file is

Thanks Mick...that sounds good. The files I have on my hard drive are the original .vob files so I guess there shouldn't be any degradation at all.

I think I might treat myself. And after I've done that, I might buy a media hard drive.

Ah right - well, I've got a nice little Samsung telly which I know is high-definition compliant but I've never used it as such as I don't have high definition tv. Do DVDs normally come as high-def?

Ah right - well, I've got a nice little Samsung telly which I know is high-definition compliant but I've never used it as such as I don't have high definition tv. Do DVDs normally come as high-def?

only if it says it was made in HD. Blu-Ray is normally the HD media.

I think I'm going to purchase some kind of hard-drive extension??

Will HDTV files play through my PC, if I can obtain the necessary codec thingies??